Valerus Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve R. Gill

Pros
  • Very good benefits, and organized (in 3 reviews)

• There are some good people in the company that make work fun even though it is a down time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Banner year and upper management talked about great bonus's coming out (in 4 reviews)

• Management can't land projects, not just due to the oil downturn, but because of quality issues and the bad reputation of the new owners (SNC-Lavalin) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Supply Chain Intern"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Houston, TX

Pros

Competitive Pay in Oil and Gas Industry

Cons

Big company structure with more to come as Valerus was acquired by SNC-Lavalin

2. "Senior Accountant"

Pros

The company was on the upswing so the environment was a lot more pleasant than what others had experienced previously.

Cons

Word got out about salaries and things were not equally balanced. Not enough work to keep you interested. Lots of micromanaging and uncommunicated expectations. Not a lot of room for upward movement.

"Not the best work environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Compensation and Benefits, were the only things that made up for the environment. That and maybe a few stand up employees that helped the day go by faster.

Cons

The environment was not healthy. There was a lot of politics involved. If you didn't butter your manager up, you'd slowly see a decline in respect.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Receptionist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Tulsa, OK

Pros

The people were great my boss was awesome! the company was great! the pay was good the benefits was good the company was positive with the employees willing to train and have the employee succeed and better themselves

Cons

there was nothing bad I could say about them

6. "Shipping/rec supervisor"

Current Employee - Louisiana in New Iberia, LA
    Current Employee - Louisiana in New Iberia, LA

I have been working at Valerus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefits, and organized.

Cons

Hourly time goes up and down

"For the typical complacent worker"

Former Employee - Project Engineer II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Engineer II in Houston, TX

I worked at Valerus (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, downtown location. No one really tracks vacation or sick time. Not really too much to say here. Pays a little on the high end for the industry. Ability to travel some of the time if that's your thing.

Cons

Complete disorganization. Upper management in completely disarray and no team cohesion to execute projects. Different business units collaborate terribly with each other. Company isn't going anywhere, just full of complacency. Most people are nonchalant and only get paid and go home. Also many people have roles they are not qualified for. Lots of "engineers" who are without engineering degrees.

Advice to Management

Please structure project execution better and establish sets of standards in each engineering discipline. Attempt to make interdepartmental work more smooth instead of having all the departments treat each other like outside vendors. Quit promoting people who are a part of the good old boys group and get qualified individuals in the right positions.

"Big Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Valerus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The parent company has kept the Valerus business alive. Its a job in a down market. Managers are promoted from within at times. They have a few directors that are bright people and enjoyable to work for and be around. There are some good people in the company that make work fun even though it is a down time.

Cons

The parent company purchased a shop just West of Houston. They are asking all of us to make the drive over there. The commute will be horrendous. Taking the move until I can find something else. Minimal work is coming in the door, another round of layoffs will happen so no sense in making the kids change schools to be closer. Not passing judgment, more power to them but before joining, google the word Nepotism. Example in a sentence: The CEO has his brother as COO, his son as a salesmen and his nephew as a manager.

9. "I have been employed there for 10 + years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

When I started there us employees would bring our own personal machinery to do our jobs because Valerus didnt have anything to do the work with and there were about 10 employees and 15 to 20 contractors , as time went by Valerus finally got us the machinery and we hired and trained more employees and less contractors and things were going at its peak until 2008 and everything has went down hill every since ,I am disappointed in my employer that they have ran off ,laid off and fired some of the best !!!! They have reduced our hours to 32 hours a week so long that most people have had to dip into there savings ,like myself to keep things going because of dedication to Valerus .

Cons

Now Valerus wants to take the rest of the employees from the three shops that built valerus and displace them and there family's /and or / have to drive 3 to 4 hours to work everyday into one shop that's in the middle of nowhere !!! All employees are majorly affected by this !!! I personally I cant believe an employer could tell you were moving shop and we will pay you to go and if you go and quit you have to pay them back !!! Not knowing if you would be able to make the drive and be able to afford moving there for them and not knowing if this is the last ditch effort to keep things going . Because if your running out of employees and have them in three different shops why not eliminate the three to one shop and then what's the next step !!!!! Things in the last two years here have been going down hill !!! Never up !!! This is the last of the last with two of the people that will be in charge both of them coming from the same business that failed almost in the same fashion , I think that what happening to valerus is sad and all of us valerus family will be where we don't want to be !!! All us risking our lives driving to work or living were we don't want to live !!! It's not what I sighned up for 12 years ago when I joined and made my life there !!!

Advice to Management

You font care about your employees or family or there's lives , only what's better for the newest members ideas of relocating employees there families and there place were they have sowed there oats . Shame on you Valerus !!!!!!!!!

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Valerus full-time

Pros

Uncapped commission
    Company culture
    Selling technical products in a dynamic environment

Cons

Industry is at a low

Advice to Management

Learn how to take cheesecakes

11. "Happy for the experience"

I worked at Valerus full-time

Pros

- Intelligent people working in all facets of the business
    - Provided great opportunities for training (invested in employees)
    - Fun atmosphere with lots of room to excel
    - Never felt like a "just a number"

Cons

- Company always seemed to struggle to pay bills
    - Project execution routinely failed
    - Lack of proper procedures
    - Tried to be too many things to too many customers
    - Not a lot of room for advancement

Advice to Management

Focus in on what you know and what you are good at. Keep taking care of your employees. Figure out how to pay vendors on time.