Valet Park of America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Theodore L. Chagnon

1. "Decent companh"

Pros

Decent company with okay pay. Tips were lousy but management was good. Not a bad place to work with locations all over New England.

Cons

Clients were not the best. There were not too many locations around Boston so if your in the city could be a downside. Tips were not great.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns. Promote from within. A better starting salary will be needed in order to attract top talent and keep them there.

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this. We are constantly looking at making sure our rates are competitive, and we will specifically look at those in the Eastern MA area. Thank you - Tim Duval

2. "Valet Attendant"

Former Employee - Valet Attendant in New Haven, CT

Pros

Flexible job that allows you to make a schedule around other needs.
    Tips become quite nice as a perk, especially if all other attendants are collecting just as much.

Cons

Have to do weekend shifts, even if not possible.
    Weather conditions can make the work environment quite daunting.
    Managers treat some employees better than most.

Advice to Management

To be fair to everyone and give each employee, regardless of tenure at company, the same amount of chances.

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this. I know the weekend requirement can be difficult, but we do our best to try to find a good work/life balance with our staff. We try to accommodate as best ... More

3. "not bad"

Pros

Good work, Good pay, Had great coworkers at one point

Cons

Management sucked a little at times. other than that not many cons

Advice to Management

Don't lose any accounts

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for writing this, I apologize for the delay in responding. If there is a specific manager concern could you email me at tduval@valetparkofamerica.com? Again, sorry for the delay. Tim

5. "great at the right location"

Pros

Good tips, good people. Pay is good at some locations

Cons

Winter months are hard and very cold, sometimes customers are difficult

Advice to Management

Stop calling everything an audit

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you. New England winters are tough... we've all been there. We do our best to provide uniforms that can handle the weather, and our customers appreciate us being out there in all conditions ... More

6. "Dearly departed"

Pros

Tips are good (your base pay gets lowered dramatically by payroll if they know tips at a location are high, due to "cost of business")
    It is fulfilling to help those in need (elders at hospitals, cancer patients, sick children, etc)
    Nice cars at nice locations
    Coworkers are great for the most part, most middle managers and "shift captains" aren't too gung ho and make the easiest of unskilled jobs tolerable.

Cons

Business was optimized by Franklin Covey, under guise of consulting, likely positioning themselves to be broker if/when ownership goes to sell.

The result is incentivized exploitation by upper and middle management of the entry, low level employees. Hours are skimmed, rates for various events and locals are always unspecified and a mystery unless you are persistent, if not, it guarantees you will be under compensated.

The result is very high turnover at the lower levels, which in turn means very inexperienced valets, who happen to crash a lot of cars. They have metrics to track this and pit the regions of the company against each other in this regard, management earns performance bonuses resulting in culture that is overly competitive in a failed effort to motivate. On the lower levels, no one cares, after a point it is just superiors blowing smoke.

A hypothesis, if they paid the good employees 1-2$/hr more, they could retain customer friendly skilled talent, likely wouldn't max out their insurance deductible on most claims and have employees who enjoy the job and proudly represent the company.

Like any place, watch out for the distinct minority of the "lifers" in management, who are miserable and like to take this out on who they can.

Cold: during travel bans, you are billed as essential hospital personnel, attendance is expected and if you are unable to travel with reasonable safety, you risk punishment or termination.

Bad on joints,get good running shoes.

Some vehicles are legitimate biohazards, with blood, etc everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if valets transferred sickness from car to car with all of the volume hospital locations.

Advice to Management

The owner is a class act, he is the type of person you would want to work for, a hard working go getter. Between payroll and upper managements use of games/favors to exploit those below, his values really get lost.

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. I certainly agree that helping our customers is extremely rewarding. We do our best to give employees reviews based on experience and performance, and many quickly move ... More

7. "Good tips, easy work, fun environment"

Current Employee - Valet Attendant in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Valet Attendant in New Haven, CT

Pros

Coworkers are lots of fun. Tips can range anywhere from a few dollars a day up to $80 depending on which location you're working at. Generally at most places you'll get about $15 - $20 a day.

Cars are a mixed bag. Nice restaurants mostly have mid range luxury cars. Hospitals can have $80,000+ cars to decrepit 20 year old vomit inducers on wheels. You'll get to drive virtually every trim of every model year of every low to mid cost mass produced car within the last 15 years.

Overall its an easy job, Very laid back and relaxed working environment for the most part.

Cons

Weather. You are not allowed to call out due to inclement weather. That means when a blizzard hits and there's snow up to your knees, you're still expected to show up to your shift despite all travel bans and warnings not to go out. If you really can't make it to work, they'll try to come pick you up if possible. If you try to make it into work and get into an accident, you're SOL.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty good. They only promote from within so you'll never have a manger who hasn't been in your shoes doing all the grunt work. Even most of the high level executives started out as front line valets back in the day.

Advice to management would be to increase base valet pay. I think that would help to retain the valuable employees while allowing for higher selectivity when hiring, reducing overall turnover.

Also, nix the shaving policy. Its outdated and unnecessary. If lawyers, doctors, teachers, and waiters, etc don't have to shave, why should the guy who parks your car have to? As long as its well groomed and neat its not offending anybody. All its doing is doing is turning away a plethora of potential employees and creating resentment in current employees.

8. "Valet Attendant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona, NY

Pros

The pay was decent, it was a fun place to work overall. You don't have a manager constantly hanging over your shoulder. After you get trained you get the work done at your own pace (which should normally be fast.) There was a lot of potential for overtime pay, so you can get fat paychecks. I did this job as a summer job on break between semesters. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who failed to get an internship.

Also, you can have a lot of fun with your coworkers.

Since tip pay is divided at a constant hourly rate over a 24 hour period, people who work early on a saturday morning for 8 hours when it is slow get just as much in tips as people who work 8 hours saturday night when it is very busy. This can be a pro or a con, but it is something to keep in mind when you make your schedule.

Cons

Smelly cars. Some people really, really don't take cares of their cars at all. Like I mean a full cup of dip spit in the cup holder, upholstery saturated with cigarette smell, body odor galore, messed up power steering/breaks/transmission/doors. But there's also the opposite side of this: getting into a brand new mercedes, new car smell, luxury feel. It's satisfying. Or getting into a manual Audi r8 (which I never did personally, but many I worked with had the pleasure of doing).

Some employees don't work as hard as others, and when employees get lazy it's hard to enforce that they work harder. Then more work falls on the harder working employees.

Working in the rain can really suck.

Advice to Management

Try to foster a more friendly-competitive atmosphere. Like not teeth-gritting competitive where everyone is on edge, but make it so valet attendants feel like they are "winning" something by performing well. A once a month $25 bonus or something like that isn't good enough incentive. When I left, you guys were starting to keep track of people's statistics and ranking them at the end of each week. More of this would be beneficial for company, employees, and customers. Utilize the power of positive reinforcement as much as possible.

9. "Alright job"

Pros

Nice cars ,cool people ,decent money

Cons

Some bad managers ,disgusting cars , crap weather

Advice to Management

Act more profesional

10. "valet attendant"

Former Employee - Valet Attendant in New Haven, CT

I worked at Valet Park of America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was always overtime
    Flexible shifts
    Managers were good with days you needed off
    Coworkers were really nice
    Everybody worked together

Cons

The weather it's either extremely hot or extremely cold.
    Some people can be tough to deal with

Advice to Management

No advice needed

11. "Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Chicopee, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Chicopee, MA

I have been working at Valet Park of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hardworking peers and management, professional family feel, upper management that truly cares about their employees, good pay and benefits, flexible schedule, many advancement opportunities, loyal, and dependable company to work for.

Cons

The only part of the job I would consider a con is dealing with the New England winters, but this is obviously something the company does not control.