Valley View Community Unit School District 365U Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. James Mitchem

1. "Hands On IT Assistant"

I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time

Pros

This position was actually really enjoyable it had a lot of hands on stuff teaching you how to do certain things.

Cons

Nothing was really bad about it. I wish I could have gotten more gas money since I was going from school to school but it was still better then nothing.

2. "Filler- Ignore this."

Former Employee - Staff Engineer
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Arrogant Staff, too much work.

3. "A great place to start"

Current Employee - Secretary in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Secretary in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was looking for a foot in the door with a school district in secretarial work. I was pleasantly surprised to be hired without knowing someone in the district, and I was hired based solely on my own merit. The school where I work has a wonderful family atmosphere where we support each other through the good times and bad. We have fun at work, and the Principal and Asst Principal have been encouraging and patient. District office people visit the school regularly and most are very nice and welcoming to this newbie. National and "bank" holidays off, summers off, and spring break off. Paid vacation and excellent benefits.

Cons

Every place has negative employees who would see you as miserable as they are, but at least the school where I am has only a few of these. Most of the people I work with don't have much respect for the superintendent or the principal of the high school, and unfortunately I can see why. I will leave it at that. But one thing I appreciate from working in the corporate world for many years is people in management positions who know how to manage people...something that principals might need to take a class on. Starting pay is low, but a graduated pay scale based on experience and time served is set in place by the union contract. Political correctness in the government proper makes the school's a very "sterile" environment. The district integrates children with all kinds of abilities, and most with issues end up in the office instead of the classroom, pretty much negating the learning experience and distracting office staff from their work.

Advice to Management

Principals: please take some classes on managing personnel and handling difficult situations with your employees. School board: please hire a new superintendent.

5. "teacher"

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This school district is a great environment and has good benefits.

Cons

It does not have room for growth and positions are very limited.

6. "Special Education Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great insurance
    Higher than average pay scale
    Lots of professional development

Cons

Everyone is related to everyone
    You have to know someone to get an interview
    Poor leadership from administration

7. "Good place driving"

Pros

Learned a lot about driving

Cons

Some schools could keep eyes on students

"Still better than the independent contractor route"

Current Employee - Driver
    Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U part-time

Pros

They have a good amount of resources to help drivers to be successful. Routes tend to be reasonably well planned.

Cons

The over reliance on forms and general paper maze is overly cumbersome at times. It feels like there could be better communication and facilitating from management on issues the drivers encounter daily.

Advice to Management

Spend more to keep morale at a higher level than it has been in recent times. Improve the access to internet resources around the transportation center.

9. "Has potential but be careful"

Former Employee - Guest Teacher in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Guest Teacher in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Valley View Community Unit School District 365U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great facilities, some great kids (but some real problem kids).

Cons

They will interview you for consecutive long-term sub positions, then hire you only for the first one -- with the condition that they will hire you for the second if you do well.

The arrangement is that after 10 consecutive days subbing you will be bumped from the $105 normal subbing rate up to $200. After they retain you for the second term, they will bounce you back down to the $105 rate again -- saying it is a different assignment. Essentially, the conditional second term is a ruse so that they can get out of paying you $1000.

Ask the permanent employees and they are not surprised. I have been told that if you need to leave a half hour early for a doctor's appointment, they will dock you for a half day's pay.

ADDITION: After much haggling and yelling at HR, they finally paid me my money -- probably because I said I would take this to whatever level I could to get what I earned.

Finally, some awesome kids, but some that don't care. If you flunk a child, you have to endlessly document or you get blamed by parents (and administrators). It didn't happen to me, but I heard stories. Some parents of troubled students never return calls or emails, and kids keep screwing around. I am a nationally board certified teacher and this was my most challenging assignment.

Advice to Management

While my situation was finally resolved ...

Be honest and up front. Don't try to take advantage of people. The people in the personnel office seem to be quite adept at this. Potential employees should get everything in writing. You can't trust this district.

10. "An organization in flux."

Current Employee - Non-Management in Romeoville, IL
    Current Employee - Non-Management in Romeoville, IL

Pros

This organization is very forward thinking and data driven regarding their mission. The organization's mission and vision are clearly defined in its "Design for Change" theme. The mission and vision of the organization has been a central component of its change initiative, which has saturated the entire organization. The organization believes in the value of training its employees, providing a wide and constant offering of classes, training sessions, and professional development opportunities.

Cons

The organization struggles to make coordinated decisions, often resulting in a large amount of confusion. The company's processes often fail to connect its efforts with it proposed strategies, resulting in noticeable employee bewilderment below the management ranks. The atmosphere within the organization is very top-down, something that has a large section of non-management employees voicing discontent and feelings of not being valued. There is also a noticeable viewpoint from non-management employees of distrust with upper management regarding its use of "data" to make decisions. On a number of occasions the "data" that has been utilized by senior management has been found to be either incomplete, flawed, or inaccurate in its portrayal upon further independent inquiry. There has been an inordinate amount of brain drain from this organization within the last 4-5 years.

Advice to Management

Regain the trust and belief in your abilities throughout your company. Apply your motto of "First the heart and then the head" to everyone in the organization.

"Think twice before applying for this district"

Pros

Great group of teachers. Well paying district, there's a reason why they are well paying.

Cons

Administration, Administration, Administration and the Administration.