ValleyCrest Companies Crew Leader Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 6, 2016

Crew Leader

2.3
Andrew Masterman

Pros
  • Very large company with potential for growth and domination of some market segments (in 12 reviews)

• There are some good benefits as long as you are a crew leader (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • condescending upper-management /boss (in 12 reviews)

• lack of communication with in the ranks (in 3 reviews)

"Englewood Florida branch is horrible."

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Englewood, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Englewood, FL

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the fellow gardeners were genuine and hard working.

Cons

No loyalty from Middle management; very minimal chance to gain a promotion. Most of the account managers/ production specialist should not be in such positions, mainly due to lack of knowledge or field experience.

"I shutter when I see "Brightview" trucks"

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire convicts because they get tax breaks to do so.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for. Poor training system. Poor communication. Bullying, intimidation, fear, and condescending employees is their modus operandi for management. Numbers driven management with small profit margins causes excess of strain on poorly trained employees. This produces poor results for the client. They failed to inform me during the interview process they don't pay you when it rains, which is all the time in Florida. Pays poorly, even when you're allowed to work. Company had a "reimbursement" policy for buying Camelback bags. Brought my receipt in, they took it, never saw any money though they continually reminded me I should be reimbursed by now. Can't say enough bad things about this horrible company.

Advice to Management

Find a new job, correctional facility officer would be more fitting.

"This was a very hostile work environment. The corporate structure has you working against each other, not as a team."

Former Employee - Maintenance Crew Leader in Hilton Head Island, SC
    Former Employee - Maintenance Crew Leader in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working at ValleyCrest. 40 hour work week is ok, and you might learn a bit.

Cons

Managers are allowed to bully, humiliate, verbally and psychologically abuse those under them.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like humans who deserve respect.

"Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians"

Current Employee - Enhancement Crew Leader
    Current Employee - Enhancement Crew Leader

Pros

There are some really great Managers, Branch & Account alike. There are some good benefits as long as you are a crew leader+. The goal is to be a production specialist, or tier 5 employee. That's 2 weeks paid vacation, personal, sick, and grievance days. With the merger of Brickman & Valleycrest there should be room for promotions so I'm looking forward to climbing the corporate ladder!

Cons

There are some real communication problems with the different fields, irrigation & enhancements etc. Sometimes the most qualified person isn't promoted due to someone else being there a little longer or being a hard worker in the field. Sometimes you have to work smart, not hard.
    The Managers need to take more time to train their underlings and that goes for everyone else as well. If you don't hire experienced employees then you need to take the time to train them properly.

Advice to Management

Make sure to sell more enhancements, improvements, tree work etc to support the other parts of the company that carry them thru the summer.