ValleyCrest Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Masterman
1 Rating

Pros
  • Very large company with potential for growth and domination of some market segments (in 12 reviews)

• There are some good benefits as long as you are a crew leader (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • condescending upper-management /boss (in 12 reviews)

• lack of communication with in the ranks (in 3 reviews)

1. "Administrative Assistance"

Former Employee - Administrative in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Calabasas, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very good company, with good people, friendly work athmospher. Great place to work, nice building, good location in Calabasas.

Cons

There was no downsides. Simply after company merge with other company, lot of jobs were eliminated including mine.

2. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, not really much more than that to say. Branch level is highly disconnected from corporate and corporate doesn't care.

Cons

Poor treatment, poor life/work balance, poor advancement opportunities, too much company politics, and so much more...

Advice to Management

Learn how to retain young college educated management as you are burning a lot of bridges.

"I shutter when I see "Brightview" trucks"

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire convicts because they get tax breaks to do so.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for. Poor training system. Poor communication. Bullying, intimidation, fear, and condescending employees is their modus operandi for management. Numbers driven management with small profit margins causes excess of strain on poorly trained employees. This produces poor results for the client. They failed to inform me during the interview process they don't pay you when it rains, which is all the time in Florida. Pays poorly, even when you're allowed to work. Company had a "reimbursement" policy for buying Camelback bags. Brought my receipt in, they took it, never saw any money though they continually reminded me I should be reimbursed by now. Can't say enough bad things about this horrible company.

Advice to Management

Find a new job, correctional facility officer would be more fitting.

5. "Entry Level"

Former Employee - Irrigation Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Irrigation Manager in Chantilly, VA

Pros

- great coworkers
    - great training programs

Cons

- condescending upper-management /boss
    - micromanagement

6. "Review of VC"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at ValleyCrest Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of fun projects to be a part of.

Cons

Since merging with Brickman to become BrightView, it's not the same company anymore. Bert is probably turning over in his grave. He built an empire and was a caring, loving person. Now everyone is just a number like any other organization. For all you looking for a job, be wary of companies that have the logo "Our biggest assets are our people". Anyone can talk the talk but not very many I know of who will walk the walk. It's all about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Take care of your guys in the field. They are the ones who put you where you are. Quit patting yourselves on the back and get in the trenches from time to time.

7. "VCDG"

Former Employee - Landscape Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Landscape Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Internal lack of communication, uncreative corporate environment, no mentoring, constant fear driven bullying system, no opportunities to progress in the corporate structure.

Advice to Management

To give opportunities for honest communication without intimidation and patronizing.

8. "Horrible Experience! If I could rate this as a zero I definitely would!!!!"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Calabasas, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the exception of a few people, some of the coworkers were really nice and the building was beautiful.

Cons

To start off, the manager started off nice but her true colors were exposed. She was horrible!!!! The lady was a chronic micromanager and had her few favorites who would report things back to her otherwise they were her snitches. Also with the exception of a few nice co workers I had, the others revealed they were extremely two faced. I don't believe in talking about people behind their backs AT ALL. Anything that I feel about someone should be said to their face. It's funny because In regards to the manager, I was forewarned about her from other coworkers and some higher ups that she wasn't a good manager to work for as she wasn't to be trusted. In all retrospect, an individual shouldn't be new at a company and dread going to work everyday so ill be honest to say that i'm glad she let me go as I no longer liked working for her and with some of the co workers anyway.

Advice to Management

In order to stop having a turn around rate in your department, you need to lighten up and stop playing favorites. Everyone should be treated equally!! The sad thing is that you wonder why most people you work with and works for you doesn't like you well that's the reason why. Sometimes we need to look within and examine ourselves to becoming a better person. Also if you are going to put people in positions of authority like a lead to be exact, you need to teach them how to critique others. You don't just explain to people what they are doing wrong, you also explain to them what they are doing right so that that individual can be encouraged in knowing that they are on the right path and also know what they need improvement in. That's true managerial skills!!!

9. "Production specialist"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Bayamon, PR
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Bayamon, PR

I have been working at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, flexible time , I schedule my own work in a weekly basis. I can take important decision to satisfy clients request.

Cons

Drive long distances, spent a lot of time in a company truck, a lot of paper work

10. "Merger Brings Changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very large company with potential for growth and domination of some market segments.
    Should be able to achieve best pricing for equipment and materials.
    Great plans for community involvement.

Cons

Bringing in a lot of non-industry leadership will bring about changes in the way business is done. Time will tell if these changes are accepted by the clients and staff. Many of the leaders from the legacy companies have left "to pursue other interests."

Advice to Management

Changes in leadership can bring about uncertainty and anxiety at all levels of the organization. Each change in leadership dilutes the talent pool. Make sure each new leader lives and supports the values of the new company.

11. "Nice company. Large with growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Estimator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Estimator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Takes care of their employees.

Cons

Office work can get boring.