ValleyCrest Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Andrew Masterman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, not really much more than that to say (in 5 reviews)

• It is a very good company, with good people, friendly work athmospher (in 5 reviews)

1. "A means to an end"

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time

Pros

Pros are that I enjoyed working outside and that's exactly what I was doing all day every day.

Cons

Micromanagement and accusations of not being productive every minute of the day. Lack of respect from upper management.

2. "Corporate Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training and growth opportunity. Very friendly co-workers, great benefits, and offered a good work-life balance. Never felt under pressure or micro-managed as long as the work got done Managers where ok and allowed employee to share ideas to improve processes

Cons

None, the Company when it was called ValleyCrest Companies was great. Right now is under the name Brightview I didn't work for them.

3. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, not really much more than that to say. Branch level is highly disconnected from corporate and corporate doesn't care.

Cons

Poor treatment, poor life/work balance, poor advancement opportunities, too much company politics, and so much more...

Advice to Management

Learn how to retain young college educated management as you are burning a lot of bridges.

"I shutter when I see "Brightview" trucks"

Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Crew Leader in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They hire convicts because they get tax breaks to do so.

Cons

Worst company I've ever worked for. Poor training system. Poor communication. Bullying, intimidation, fear, and condescending employees is their modus operandi for management. Numbers driven management with small profit margins causes excess of strain on poorly trained employees. This produces poor results for the client. They failed to inform me during the interview process they don't pay you when it rains, which is all the time in Florida. Pays poorly, even when you're allowed to work. Company had a "reimbursement" policy for buying Camelback bags. Brought my receipt in, they took it, never saw any money though they continually reminded me I should be reimbursed by now. Can't say enough bad things about this horrible company.

Advice to Management

Find a new job, correctional facility officer would be more fitting.

5. "Administrative Assistance"

Former Employee - Administrative in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Calabasas, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very good company, with good people, friendly work athmospher. Great place to work, nice building, good location in Calabasas.

Cons

There was no downsides. Simply after company merge with other company, lot of jobs were eliminated including mine.

6. "Entry Level"

Former Employee - Irrigation Manager in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Irrigation Manager in Chantilly, VA

Pros

- great coworkers
    - great training programs

Cons

- condescending upper-management /boss
    - micromanagement

"Review of VC"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at ValleyCrest Companies (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of fun projects to be a part of.

Cons

Since merging with Brickman to become BrightView, it's not the same company anymore. Bert is probably turning over in his grave. He built an empire and was a caring, loving person. Now everyone is just a number like any other organization. For all you looking for a job, be wary of companies that have the logo "Our biggest assets are our people". Anyone can talk the talk but not very many I know of who will walk the walk. It's all about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Take care of your guys in the field. They are the ones who put you where you are. Quit patting yourselves on the back and get in the trenches from time to time.

"VCDG"

Former Employee - Landscape Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Landscape Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Internal lack of communication, uncreative corporate environment, no mentoring, constant fear driven bullying system, no opportunities to progress in the corporate structure.

Advice to Management

To give opportunities for honest communication without intimidation and patronizing.

9. "Wake up"

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good reasons to work at VC are the benifits and type of projects you have the potential to work on. Good training for the field

Cons

I worked there for 12 years and nothing said or any discussion just we are letting you go. To me that's a little harsh. Not only that but a lot of effort and money goes into training and employees in general. Seems to me a bad business decision. If you decide to work for VC just keep in mind it's a big company now and you can be thrown out with the bath water at any day. So don't rock the boat and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Give employees respect especially ones with tenure. At least sit them down and at least give them an explanation. I know you don't have to but it only shows some respect for long time employees. Treatment very harsh.

"Horrible Experience! If I could rate this as a zero I definitely would!!!!"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Calabasas, CA

I worked at ValleyCrest Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

With the exception of a few people, some of the coworkers were really nice and the building was beautiful.

Cons

To start off, the manager started off nice but her true colors were exposed. She was horrible!!!! The lady was a chronic micromanager and had her few favorites who would report things back to her otherwise they were her snitches. Also with the exception of a few nice co workers I had, the others revealed they were extremely two faced. I don't believe in talking about people behind their backs AT ALL. Anything that I feel about someone should be said to their face. It's funny because In regards to the manager, I was forewarned about her from other coworkers and some higher ups that she wasn't a good manager to work for as she wasn't to be trusted. In all retrospect, an individual shouldn't be new at a company and dread going to work everyday so ill be honest to say that i'm glad she let me go as I no longer liked working for her and with some of the co workers anyway.

Advice to Management

In order to stop having a turn around rate in your department, you need to lighten up and stop playing favorites. Everyone should be treated equally!! The sad thing is that you wonder why most people you work with and works for you doesn't like you well that's the reason why. Sometimes we need to look within and examine ourselves to becoming a better person. Also if you are going to put people in positions of authority like a lead to be exact, you need to teach them how to critique others. You don't just explain to people what they are doing wrong, you also explain to them what they are doing right so that that individual can be encouraged in knowing that they are on the right path and also know what they need improvement in. That's true managerial skills!!!