Valmont Industries Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Valmont Industries Chairman and CEO Mogens C. Bay
Mogens C. Bay

Pros
  • decent pay and benefits, decent working conditions (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits and room for personal growth (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management seems to put their personal self interests above those of the company (in 9 reviews)

• No room for advancement unless you're in a relationship with someone in management (in 5 reviews)

1. "Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in West Hazleton, PA
    Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in West Hazleton, PA

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long hours no respect unprofessional

Cons

Very bad atmosphere, violent coworkers, management looks for any reason to terminate anyone, and is totally incompetent. They have no idea.

Advice to Management

Close the plant and go on welfare cause you people are totally inept. And I say this having worked other places and have a new job that is 100% professional.

"1st Amendment Violations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Company has been around a long time.

Cons

Have been scalded by management about talking about politics even on both sides of the aisle. Told it is offensive. Stating facts about politics is offensive. gotcha. One lawsuit coming up

Advice to Management

stop the Political Correct propaganda your candidate lost suck it up buttercup

"No opportunity for upward mobility"

Current Employee - Administrative In Utility Division
    Current Employee - Administrative In Utility Division

Pros

Pay is decent for area

Cons

Horrible atmosphere. The only thing important is bottom line. Morale is trampled. Employees are micromanaged to death.

Advice to Management

Respectrum the people who actually work hard and create the product that pays your fat salaries.

"The worst place ever very bad management and so called leads"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Mendota, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Mendota, MN

Pros

Bonuses are fine employees appreciation is a great thing and some of the upper management is understandable

Cons

Leads are full of scrap they think there just royalty other employees are treated like we mean nothing no phones are supposed to be used doing work hours but the leads can talk and text doing the whole shift we all are supposed too be equal but not there!

Advice to Management

There's a major drug problem at valmont you need too start doing random drug test starting with your leads how can the blind lead the blind I don't feel comfortable working here knowing somebody is going too get hurt due too drug abuse this needs to be addressed Asap

"Machinist"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits.

Cons

I worked for Valmont for years. Long hard hours. Got hurt due to repetitive motion. Even after 2 surgeries they refused to move me to a different machine. Now I have a prosthetic shoulder and injured back and can not work ever. The injured back came from there workers comp Guy following us to close causing an auto accident. I never got a call asking how I was, the only thing I got was a termination letter the day of my surgery.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites. Get of promoting the buddies and promote the ones working hard and earning it.

"Don't Do It!"

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you're lucky, and you get a good boss, you might get paid what you are worth.

Cons

Upper management at the VP level is very unethical. I have been lied to by two separate VP's. One VP from the EIP group is an absolute pathological liar and very unethical, extremely unprofessional should be at the VP level! The company frequently chases great talent right out the door. I have witnessed this many times and have experienced it myself. Also, there is no work/life balance in management.

Advice to Management

When you have an employee that develops three (yes you heard right three) Valmont best practices and one is used globally, you may want to consider keeping that employee...

"Not a yes boy. Just a had worker with an impeccable record for safety and productivity."

Former Employee - Welder/Leadperson in Brenham, TX
    Former Employee - Welder/Leadperson in Brenham, TX

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance and no other jobs in area available. This place spends lots of money on things for management and the yes boys. They have new air conditioners new desk and a new chair every time they don't like how the old one sits.

Cons

They won't fix what's broken unless someone gets hurt. New equipment needed but if a golf cart breaks down, that's what gets fixed first. The paging system was down and we had complained for months. But when someone had a heart attack on the floor and the only person with a defibrillator couldn't hear the page the paging system was fixed that very day. That's the way it always is. Someone has to get hurt on the floor or die to get something fixed. Their safety program is the worst in the business. A lot is hidden. Environmental is also another story. They cover spills with dirt instead of cleaning it up. I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

Learn how to be one. I have witnessed first hand the upper management laughing and making fun of employees. Then they would say "Don't tell them I said that". The supervisors are a joke as well. The leads over the small parts area. What a joke!!!! The accounting department discuss your pay with others and HR will discuss privacy problems with others. I witnessed all of it. This is in Brenham, Texas.

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of a positive

Cons

Poor work environment. Poor pay. Management seems to look the other way with less than favorable slacker employees, thus creating hostility among employees.

Advice to Management

Need to create a more positive workplace. Eliminate the dead weight slackers and recognize the people who contribute. Stop dividing the employees with obvious favoritism.

"I'm very dissatisfied with the way they treat their employees."

Current Employee - Fitter II in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Fitter II in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has been around a long time and is somewhat stable when it comes to job security. Hasn't had a lay off in years.

Cons

Supervisor have a lackadaisical attitude and promote based off favoritism rather than good work ethic, commitment, and integrity. No proper internal interviewing process for open positions. On the production floor, employees get paid the same salary based on their positions with no years of service or experience pay. Meaning, if you've worked their 40 years and a guy comes in day one in the same position, you both make the same money and get the same raise every year, which is just a cost of living raise. Production floor does not work in unison which slows down production and causes a lot of unnecessary mandatory overtime. Production floor employees are just treated as pawns to satisfy a need. Moral is always down and employees are always complaining about management, but nothing ever gets done about it.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your leaders before appointing them to lead others. Pay your employees what they deserve. Outstanding employees are being overlooked all the time. These are the people who want to help the company grow.

"Glassdoor isn't posting my reviews? Need to be heard"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Claremore, OK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Claremore, OK

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent health insurance, that's it. 401k and a small bonus every month, other than the money, which isn't that great of pay anyways, there are no other pros.

Cons

Valmont has a blatant disregard for employee health and wellness, if you get injured, you won't receive proper treatment, and the company will refuse to pay for the expenses, if you disagree with a member of management, depending on how much pull that person has, you will most likely be fired, whether you or rite or wrong. They treat you as if they bought and own you.

Advice to Management

Fix the crumbling building before somebody gets SERISOULY hurt. Show a little respect to your laboring employees that make sure you get that big pay check every week.