Valorem Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life Balance - In the 6 months, I can count on 1 hand how many times I've had to go over 40 hours" (in 5 reviews)

• "Chance to work with lots of cutting edge cloud technology" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is fuzzy when chasing the dollar" (in 6 reviews)

• "Constant growing pains while company is not growing" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Valorem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay; great work-life balance; nice environment

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thanks for the great feedback!

"Leaves Much to be desired!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have bikes you can ride, but no one really does.
    They have a designated parking lot not far from the office.
    Some 401K match, not great but not awful.
    You will work multiple 60 hour weeks with out any kind of recognition because that is normal.
    They talk up their unlimited PTO, but you can only put in a request 60 days out and you have to work around your project times. The busy seasons are in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, I hope you like winter holidays if you and all the other employees can fit in time off and not leave the office empty.
    There is a keg, but it is on lock down unless your are a few select people including management.
    They boast about having tickets to the Sprint Arena in downtown KC, but very few tickets are ever offered because they most always goes to Management and the people who are best buds with the CEO and Management team.

Cons

Management. Constant growing pains while company is not growing. Extended periods with out one on one manager interactions. A lot of constant turnover. Uninterested managers, insincere management. Recently we were guaranteed job safety, now they are letting multiple people go. Very "click' like, If you aren't best friends don't expect to be welcomed. Culture is based around drinking. CEO is a bad example to employees and has a huge temper. They boast education but have no structure, plans, or support for employees. No one will have time to mentor you because they are too busy being worked to death. Don't bother thinking outside the box, because they already know how they want things done. There is no real room for advancement. Salary is low compared to KC average. Don't be expect to be viewed as a person, you are a pack animal. You are expected to work 60 or more hours weekly and weekends, this is not uncommon though it should be. Be aware that as a consulting firm their amount of business intake fluctuates.. A LOT.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they say they aren't being heard. Don't ask employees to jump through hoops only to let them go because you don't have any incoming projects. Could have prevented a lot of problems with improved communication and better management. Revise your guide. I don't think it bothered anyone to let go multiple people prior to the Holidays.

Nov 8, 2018 – Vice President of Human Resources

I understand the pain people feel when the company has to make tough choices to let someone go. While Glassdoor is a place where people can vent, internally we use an anonymous engagement tool where... More

"Good learning experience, toxic work environment and culture"

Current Employee - Developer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Developer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Valorem full-time

Pros

Projects tend to work in the latest Microsoft technology
    Chance to work with lots of cutting edge cloud technology
    Lots of opportunity for moving up if you are a good worker

Cons

The culture can be very toxic - lots of gossip, disrespect, and negativity between teams and coworkers.

Advice to Management

Take strong action against people who have repeated toxic behavior.

The company has a lot of people who hoard knowledge and responsibility for job security. This encourages negative and toxic behavior when people refuse to share knowledge with co-workers because they think it will devalue their position. Please make it a priority to hire people who demonstrate a cooperative attitude, and encourage employees to share knowledge instead of using it as a weapon against each other.

Get rid of the keg. People drive home drunk from Valorem all the time. They drink way too much from the keg and immediately hop in their car. One day there's going to be a serious accident and Valorem does not want to be the company that encouraged their employee to drink before leaving work.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for your feedback. We are continually committed to improving our knowledge sharing practices and I am sorry that you have encountered such a negative experience in your time here. Our... More

"Company has an Identity Crisis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro is the people they hire. Recruiting does a great job at getting quality people in who truly care about their work.
    Valorem tries to maintain a start-up/techie vibe with free food, happy hours, ping pong table, and architectural design but that's where it ends.

Cons

Leadership talks a good game, but doesn't provide an employee-friendly environment. CEO creates an environment of intimidation and expect his leaders to manage the same way. Very arrogant for someone who doesn't have much experience outside of his own company.
    Unlimited PTO means they expect you to be available to take calls and work on your time off. Also, can't request PTO until you are close to the date, so makes it hard to book lodging and transportation.
    Employees are micro-managed and not given opportunity to grow their career past their expected daily duties. Promises broken about career path within the company. Not allowed to have original ideas because it only matters what the leadership team wants to do.
    When you do provide feedback to upper management, they listen but it's not heard. It's like they are playing the part to say they value feedback, when in reality they don't care.
    If you aren't billable, your position isn't valued.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you value work/life balance and be true to what you do. If you want to keep good employees, allow them to grow and show you what they can do. Value your talent. Don't hire people for their abilities and then prevent them from using them.

Sep 24, 2018

I am sorry you felt this way while here. We work hard to do the right thing and not just "talk a good game". We truly spend a lot of time trying to think about everyone here and live up to our... More

"Disappointing"

Pros

There are free snacks. Coworkers can be helpful. Projects are interesting.

Cons

Leadership is arrogant & untrustworthy. Positive culture appearances are a ruse. Managers have no experience & no training. PTO denied and workers called on vacation. Promises not kept. Work/life balance is fuzzy when chasing the dollar.

Advice to Management

There is more to leadership that negotiating with customers - advocate for employees.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

I apologize that you had a negative experience when you were with us.

We are committed to continually improving our culture and our overall employment experience. Our time off policy is in... More

"Weak pay, boring projects, low hiring bar"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valorem full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Office is in a good location.

Cons

There are some good engineers, but a lot of bad ones too. Lots of ppl get let go for performance reasons.

Hiring process is a joke. They don’t do technical interviews. Anyone can get a job here.

Compensation and perks are bottom of the barrel for Seattle.

Long hours we often required.

No signing bonus or relocation provided

Advice to Management

Pay more. Evaluate people for technical ability, and determine their level based in their interview performance. There are SD3s who are less skilled than some SD1s.

Oct 10, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Organizational Development

Thank you for taking time to give us feedback and we are sorry you had a negative experience while you were at Valorem.

We are very proud of our staff and we realize that people are at varying... More

"Incompetent Leadership and Management"

Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Solutions Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doing some innovative work in Mixed Realty, UX, Office 365 and Azure.

Free snacks, causal / startup type working environment.

Cons

Bad leadership and management, unclear goals and expectations, and false promises. Behind the startup type facade is an incompetent management who would scapegoat employees for their own shortcomings. Client is everything and employees mean nothing.

Advice to Management

They say employees do not quit companies, they quit management. Put competent people in management and leadership. Hire the best, pay them well, trust and respect them and they will be with you for ever.

"Enjoyable company culture, fast paced"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to grow your talents within advanced projects

Cons

High staff turnover; while they offer access to training resources, the interior development of people is lacking. Chaotic turnover

Advice to Management

Moving locations in the office periodically does not help build continuity. When a new programmer is brought in, they need to be paired with an existing top level programmer to learn the in-house code base. .NET is too complex to drop someone into the mix and expect them to thrive otherwise.

"Not professionals"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Gig Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Gig Harbor, WA

I worked at Valorem full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work on occasion; snacks and drinks available for free and nice offices. Dress is casual. Paychecks arrive on time

Cons

Owners that are not mature enough to have professionalism as their guiding rails. They hire family in middle Management.... who don’t have the skills and create disconnected teams who don’t work well together - due to internal issues that aren’t resolved and fester. Don’t honor written agreements. Show favoritism and talk about staff with levels of staff that are inappropriate (all levels)

Advice to Management

Stop using promises of increase pay along with growth as carrot and then when you have to follow through - find some imagined loop hole. Stop putting staff against each other - stop talking about staffing issues with other staff. Basically - grow up and act like you are professionals who hire professionals- how you act bleeds down.... when you act horrible ... your staff learns they can too

"Decent company trying to keep up with explosive demand."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Valorem full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good equipment, better than average talent and a very high profile customer.
    You get to work in Azure and use fairly new things on most projects and a few of the projects are doing some real interesting work.

Great location if you are near downtown KC.

The upper management are doing some really awesome things with the company and try very hard to communicate and when you pass them in the hall they know who you are. They have regular "town hall" style meetings to try and be transparent and keep everyone on the same page with whats going on. They genuinely feel like they care about staff and the world around them despite how swamped they probably are.

Cons

Next to no work life balance. It feels like when the big client asks for something its an automatic yes no matter if its realistic or not. Very reactionary and not so proactive with planning so as a result most of the engineers work 50-80 hours a week for periods that are several months long, most of the time with small breaks in between. To reward you for this effort you get a 3 or 4 day weekend. What good is the "Unlimited PTO" when you cant even get nights and weekends off? Sleep deprivation is almost guaranteed here.

Depending on which project you are on, it might feel like you are a valued team member and things are run openly and transparent or you may end up feeling like you are micro-managed, siloed, and no one listens to anything you say and any improvements you suggest are met with sharp criticism and defensive threatened responses and you have no support or access so the tasks you are given feel impossible to complete.

Project to project nothing is consistent and it feels like changing jobs every time you change projects because things are that different between them.

Advice to Management

Get middle and project management to operate like senior leadership does, openly and constructively. Standardize the project management to get rid of the night and day difference between projects and stop forcing your talent into sleep deprivation.