Value Pawn & Jewelry Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Mark Kuchenrither

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Easy to move up, company prefers two promote from within.

Cons

Limited overtime few paid holidays.

2. "Does not reward performance"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging Place to work, no day is the same

Cons

Does not reward performance, does not support operations level, payroll cuts and low pay to team members constantly a problem.

Advice to Management

If you like working 6 day work weeks and 60+ hours a week and don't want to see your family, this is the job for you.

3. "Team leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Florida, FL

I worked at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time

Pros

Some co workers & meet ppl

Cons

Work you to death, don’t keep they word, NO commission is a lie, no money increase & double you the work, they barely approve time off or vacation. They are very disrespectful to employees. They do not care about customer, they lie to them often. They greedy the upper management. Employees sell up to 15,000 or more in a month, they don’t even get a thank you. They close probably 3 or 4 holiday out of the year. You don’t have family time it really sad. They want to make you work extra & not paid. No communication. No training available. It really disgusting how they treat employees, I wonder how this ppl sleep at night. Oh wait I know the money in their pockets, that employees at the counter don’t get. If they like you they promoted you even if you don’t know what you doing. They will terminate you for calling of even if you have proof of the reason. They will actually call your dr to see if you go to the app bcz you call off or put pto(I myself saw it). Is discusting. Please do not, I repeat do not believe this company. A lot of ppl are leaving the company. Do not work for them. HR don’t protect you either, HR go for the company it self not benefits the employee at all. There’s no grow at all. Benefits is expensive. Health insurance can be up to $300 per paycheck (family). Don’t work here Don’t

Advice to Management

Know how to treat employees...stop lien to your customer & they merchandise. Stop reaping them off too. Stop been greedy. Oh never mind you guys don’t read this & wont care. So whatever I see this company collapsing in many ways.

4. "Certified Pawnbroker"

I worked at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time

Pros

Make good money and Meet A lot of People

Cons

High stress, constantly sick , management is a joke , and no growth in the company

Advice to Management

Know your team worth .

5. "This company will fail if it doesn't change its ways!"

I have been working at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time

Pros

It's a job, which permits one to pay some of one's bills.

Cons

They are too numerous to list. Chief among them, however, is the lack of opportunity available to long-term, hard working employees. This company, for some reason known only to its "management," prefers to hire from the outside. For example, future store managers are frequently hired from other industries, and have NO experience in pawn, while highly capable lead pawnbrokers languish in the wings waiting for their chance at promotion. A new "store manager in training" was recently hired. You mean to tell me that out of all the lead pawnbrokers, people who have worked here for YEARS, not one of them is able to be trained for a management position? What is going on here?

Another con: discriminatory hiring practices. The company prefers to hire individuals of the same ethnic background of the majority of its customers. The courts have repeatedly ruled that this is discriminatory, except when public safety (e.g. policing) is involved. Ethnicity is NOT a legal criterion for hiring.

And another: age discrimination. The vast majority of new hires are young, and are perhaps perceived as being more tractable (read: they are less aware of their rights in the workplace), as well as being cheaper since they live with mom and dad.

No overtime. If you're stuck late at work, your hours will be cut later in the week.

Extremely poor work-life balance, with a constantly-changing schedule that eliminates any possibility of planning doctor's appointments, home repairs, etc.

Advice to Management

We had to fill out an "anonymous" employee survey a few months back, which the executive branch of EZCorp apparently takes very seriously! In my own informal survey, I could not find a single co-worker who said anything positive about their employment here. Ignore your employees at your peril.

6. "Will work you to death"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Advancement for hard work. Benefits. Competitive pay for Assist Man and Store Man

Cons

Will work you to death. No support, sink or swim. The most egotistical group of upper management ever met. Inventory specialist for region biggest thief ever met.

Advice to Management

Get your sexism under control. Pay women the same as men. Support your staff, don't just throw people in the water.

7. "Pawn Broker"

Current Employee - Pawn Broker in Tavares, FL
    Current Employee - Pawn Broker in Tavares, FL

I have been working at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning about anything and everything.

Cons

No balance.
    No room for advancement.
    Bad management
    Standing for 10+ hrs daily
    Horrendous training situations
    Time off is impossible
    Entitled customers
    Will be taken advantage of
    Stressful mentally and physically

8. "General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and vacation. I like my direct boss

Cons

Long work hours and high levels of stress

9. "Lead pawn broker"

Current Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Lead Pawn Broker in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Customer service experience

Cons

Training a new employee

Advice to Management

Need to accommodate quality time to train & show the new employee the ropes on how the actual business works/runs

"Just a job. Not a career."

Current Employee - Pawnbroker
    Current Employee - Pawnbroker

I have been working at Value Pawn & Jewelry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Only one - really nice co-workers. All smart, all underappreciated.

Cons

Good golly gosh, where do I begin?
    Prospective employees, do not be fooled. There is NO career advancement at this company. Basically, you have to wait for someone to either quit or die before you can move up. From the lowly and prestige-free Sales and Lending Team Member position, perhaps you can become a lead pawnbroker (dare to dream!), if something happens to the poor soul currently holding that position (it doesn't mean anything anyway, it just gives you the ability to put in your codes to override the system and make actual decisions about things, plus it is probably slightly less embarrassing to introduce yourself to new acquaintances as a "lead pawnbroker" than a SLTM). After achieving the position of lead, you might be lucky enough to become a store manager, should your manager go on walkabout or get fired. Then you can have the joy of working sometimes six days a week, and being blamed for absolutely everything that goes wrong in your store.

It is also extremely frustrating to be under the control of somebody hundreds of miles away at the corporate offices. I finally understand what the small-government nutjobs are always blathering on about. These stores can run themselves perfectly well without interference by some distant authoritarian governing body. Every store, and every market, is different! Florida is not Georgia or Texas! The store ten miles away from our store has a customer base totally unlike ours, so why treat both stores the same?

Upper management really doesn't respect or value the people who work in the stores. We are only a means to an end. And it shows.

The "Product Protection Plan" we are expected to sell to every customer is a ripoff. It allows the customer to exchange items in original condition for another item within 6 months. Customers who don't choose the PPP have 24 hours to return a purchase and exchange it for something else. We don't give cash back. Now, that is unfair. What company doesn't take returns? This policy hurts business. As bad as that is, the Jewelry VIP program is far, far worse. Jewelry can't be returned or exchanged either without it, so if a guy buys a $1000 engagement ring and his girlfriend doesn't like it, he can't switch it out for another one unless he's paid $100 for the privilege. Makes no sense. Our customers are not stupid! Lord forbid employees fail to sell these con-job extras - they'll get written up! PPP and VIP are free money for the company, which is why corporate is so adamant that employees add them to every sale. For example, if a customer purchases a laptop and PPP but finds the computer won't connect to wifi, she can exchange it, but the cost of the PPP is non-refundable. She'll have to purchase it again for the second laptop. Greedy and unethical!

Advice to Management

With the holidays fast approaching, I just want to send upper management my best wishes! Enjoy your Black Friday off, while we're expected at work at 7 AM! Relax with your family on Christmas Eve, while your front-line employees (the ones who do the work, the ones who MAKE YOU MONEY and who are so charmingly referred to as "labor" in the holiday season manual), are stuck in the stores until 7! Guess what, guys. We're people. Not robots. You disparage us, you humiliate us by sending in mystery shoppers with hidden cameras to spy on us and make sure we're wearing our name tags (just like dogs!) and shouting "Welcome to Value Pawn!" every time the door opens. WE know the business, and the customers, far better than YOU do. We know what sells merchandise - a quality product at a great price. Stop micromanaging, and for the love of all that is holy, stop with the constantly-changing and increasingly incoherent clings and labels and tags and whatnot. Put a price on the item and leave it. Merchandise isn't sitting on the shelves because it doesn't have some crazy nonsensical price tag. It sits BECAUSE IT IS OVERPRICED. We know this. How come you folks with 6 figure salaries don't?