ValueMags Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Calm, friendly and supportive"

Former Contractor - Temp in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Temp in Chicago, IL

I worked at ValueMags as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on the phones for ValueMags and had a great experience. The environment was relaxed but professional and the team was helpful when strange or specific calls with customer issues came in. I never felt overwhelmed or helpless. There was some down between calls and I was able to work on outside projects in that time.

Cons

Can be repetitive and tedious at times.

2. "First Job Out Of University"

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ValueMags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Through connections, I got a job at ValueMags. It was my first job out of University after getting my BCOM and my resume was not brilliant. I have to thank management for giving me a chance and helping me put together a more complete CV while contributing to my experience.
    At ValueMags, I was an office assistant. I did the jobs everyone did not want to do (repetitive stuff like filing). The team of individuals I worked with was very patient with me as I had never been in a professional work space. They took me under their wing and I will forever be thankful.

Cons

Although I am thankful for the opportunities I got, I wish I would have been given more challenging work. The work was generic and I felt that I could apply my knowledge for my BCOM more practically.

Advice to Management

Management develops and cultivates great relationships with their employees. However, I suggest that management use that knowledge to their advantage by working with employee's strengths and specializations. I felt I could have been more useful to the company.

3. "Great company, decent people- sad to leave!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ValueMags full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at the company was really great to work with. Supportive senior staff, and a culture that really respected a work and personal life balance. Occasionally, the office would all go out after work for drinks or fun activities like ping pong. All of this, with the great benefits (awesome health and retirement matching) made it a place I was a little sad to leave when I moved on to another company.

Cons

The weeks got pretty repetitive. While it made the work load easy to predict from one week to the next, it got a little monotonous. I ultimately left due to the size of the company- while being small meant that we all knew each other well, it also provided little room to advance.

4. "ValueMags let me work remote and it works out well"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at ValueMags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm set up with a home office. They gave me a laptop, pay for my internet and phone and everything is easy to connect with the people in the office. We facetime and chat during the day so I don't feel left out and it's really helpful to be able to reach people immediately if I have a question.

Cons

I don't get the water cooler gossip since I'm not in the office.

Advice to Management

Bring in the remote employees every couple of weeks so we can connect and develop better friendships and bond with the folks in the home office.

5. "Social Media Posting for ValueMags"

Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Social Media Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ValueMags part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ValueMags has tons of natural content so my job is easy. We give away new, free magazines each week. And every magazine has a unique editorial focus so writing summaries on the free magazines that we offer is pretty straightforward. One might say that the posts write themselves!

Cons

The posts for ValueMags get routine and similar and it becomes difficult to find unique and interesting things to say. So I end up posting recipes and other cute videos. Which isn't the end of the world.

Advice to Management

Keep getting good free magazines to give away.

6. "ValueMags part timer happy to report!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ValueMags part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ValueMags has been my favorite client for more than 10 years. The team has grown and the company spun off another company called eMagazines which changed name to Oplytic. It's been great to participate on the financial side of the business and help its founders navigate their growth and help with their banking relationships. When you work with a company that is mature, responsive and successful, it makes your job easy. Kudos to ValueMags for keeping their ear to the grindstone and being a star on the Chicago tech scene.

Cons

Wish I could work full time but alas my role really isn't needed 40 hours per week.

Advice to Management

ValueMags should continue to prosper without any special advice from me.

7. "Anonymous employee in Chicago, IL"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ValueMags full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have a great entrepreneurial culture combined with a relatively flat organizational structure. This is beneficial because if you have a good/profitable idea, you can talk to management and have your idea implemented. There’s a lot of camaraderie, and we’re all expected to share ideas and to contribute on a daily basis.
    The work can be challenging, but this is a good thing, as management is ALWAYS working to expand into new areas of the industry.

Cons

Don’t expect a lot of hand-holding here. This is not a big firm with a long training program. New employees (while given some initial training) are expected to hit the ground running.

Advice to Management

While comp and benefits are very good, management might want to consider some additional comp for employee ideas that are implemented. This would only help to further incentivize employee contributions for new growth opportunities.

8. "Great for Independent Thinkers"

I have been working at ValueMags full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management listens to ideas, values and rewards those who take initiative, grants authority to execute ideas. Company is quick to adapt and take advantage of new opportunities, but also appreciates the complexity involved in implementing more involved change, especially related to tech systems.

Cons

Chicago winters, although work from home is allowed.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and incentivising good ideas.

9. "Transparency and perks are abound"

I have been working at ValueMags full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ValueMags believes in work-life balance and practices what it preaches. We need to show up on time but we're not expected to burn the candle at both ends. The kitchen is getting a complete renovation (thanks to the previous reviewer!). It's getting moved into a vault in the hall. The office is in an old factory in River North, Chicago. So it has exposed beams and wonderful views from the 5th floor. You can see the El (brown line) but it's not loud enough to disturb your work. Coffee flows freely and there is an unlimited amount of hot chocolate when your blood sugar dips a little after lunch. Sometimes there are even donuts in the morning. I can't say enough good things. I can't wait to crack open the new kitchen in the vault.

Cons

There might be a new building going up across the street so it might block the view from our 5th floor windows. Right now we get lots of light during the day. But River North is exploding with 40 story buildings so a new building could start to cast some nasty shadows.

Advice to Management

Maybe ask the cleaners to do a more thorough job each night. Other than just taking out the trash, they should wipe down the kitchen and mop the floor. Especially when salt from our shoes mucks up the place.

10. "Experience Assessment"

I have been working at ValueMags full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ValueMags is a family oriented company which makes working there a positive experience.
    The family oriented company understands that employees have other responsibilities so hours are somewhat flexible.

Benefits are especially incredible as well as the annual bonuses based on sales performance.

Cons

The only con of working at ValueMags is that the facilities need renovations.
    The kitchen facilities are out-dated and can use some up dating.

Advice to Management

Put a budget in place to update staff facilities. Start small and work towards a complete rip and tear. Upgrading the facilities will make working at ValueMags more appealing to applicants.