ValueOptions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Timothy Murphy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Average pay, not enough team input on application specs, outdated work environment (in 11 reviews)

• Most people working in Customer Service are always looking for another job (in 7 reviews)

"By far, the best career opportunity I have had."

Current Employee - Field Care Manager, Value Options New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Management support, very high morale, accessability of management at all levels, corporate culture of respect, better than average compensation and benefits, clear expectations of job duties. Value Options New Mexico was a model of how all service centers should be operated, from both the standpoint of service to the consumers, to how the service center was run. For the duration of the 4 year contract which ended in 2009, there was relatively little turnover. Working there was like being in a nurturing extended family.

Cons

The high morale and great support brought out the best in the employees. However, good ideas from all but mangement were rarely passed on, and the company never fully benefitted from the potential they built. Value Options does not seem to be able to successfully perpetuate contract renewals in large contracts. The service centers are run from Virginia, but the further the service center location is from Virginia, the more out of touch corporate leadership seems to be.

Advice to Management

Make sure the corporate culture of cohesiveness and respect actually permeates the individual service centers. Consistently staff the service centers, both commercial and public contracts, to ensure that workers do not burn out and create high turnover. Adequate staffing in contracts with razor thin profit margins will yield more profit by avoiding turnover.

"Clinical Care Manager"

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits!! Fun working environment. Flexible manager

Cons

Monotanous, not a lot of variety in job duties, limited room for advancement

"I'm a CCM who loves their job"

Current Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

support from co-workers and supervisors; ability to work from home; ability to speak to a variety of people with a variety of needs; I feel a great sense of satisfaction at each call as I know I have made a difference in their life.

Cons

it's a call center so we often have "back to back calls." but I was told that upfront in the interview and I enjoy the variety of calls.

Advice to Management

I sense that management is aware that our jobs can be difficult as we often talk to members who are very upset,sad,angry,etc and take out their emotions of us. We are given constant feedback regarding that they realize how hard we work and that they appreciate what we do for our members. We are constantly given kudos for our hard work and our excellent customer service we provide to our members and to our co-workers. I find managment to be very supportive of all of us.

"I had a very good experience as an Employee of VO"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morrisville, NC

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, good benefits, good people, this company has opportunities for growth and promotes internal for employees first before advertising externally. This company has a good open door policy. Most supervisors are lenient on the rules and tries to apply them to meet each employees needs while being fair to all employees.

Cons

too many favorites by supervisors

5. "Great company! The CEO is progressive and works to continue to supply a superior product to clients and members."

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Coppell, TX

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Balance between work and personal time was good. Co-workers and management were team focused and supportive.

Cons

Limited opportunities to advance within the company.

Advice to Management

I hope you don't change too much since you've merged with Beacon.

6. "Awesome Federal Program!!"

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great organizational structure and support from the top. Lots of recent promotions within to folks who deserved it. Leadership is top notch as they care about their employees and their success. Good work is recognized and encouraged. Good pay and benefits. Love serving our military!

Cons

Clinicians working on phones can get monotonous but if you are motivated for special projects, you will be assigned one.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to talk to and make yourselves visible to your employees. It is much appreciated!

7. "Great people to work with, company cares about employees"

Current Employee - Clinical Team Lead in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Lead in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits, enjoy co-workers, have several contracts throughout the country, ability to move and grow within the company if willing to relocate, salary is better than a lot of other local employers in mental health

Cons

no local ability to advance in career, contract-based work so there is always a chance that the contract will not be renewed, no client contact with PSD contracts

"valuable introduction to the field of behavioral managed care. overall good place to work staff supportive"

Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Manager in Morrisville, NC

I worked at ValueOptions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are superior managed care companies, however if you are new to the field it is a good place to start as they just manage behavioral care, it is large enough company to be able to withstand losing contracts and providing security

Cons

If you want to work for a large managed health care company, there are drawbacks to this company. There is little interest in keeping talented people after contracts are over.

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate people, losing employees because of a contract loss is unavoidable but more interest in retaining would pay off in the end.

"Acceptable work environment. Could be better!"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Latham, NY

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and good benefits. Vacation time is pretty generous. Broad project types to expand skill set. People for the most part are supportive and knowledgeable. Oh and I do like the casual dress code!

Cons

Many conference calls, leaving little time to actually be able to tackle projects and produce and surpass the targeted goals. I would like to see the company bring back 401K match.

10. "I am proud of the work we do."

I have been working at ValueOptions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really cares about the client and meeting their needs.

Cons

Continued employment is based on maintaining and winning new contracts.

Advice to Management

Really dedicated employees. Look at the internal talent pool and promote more from within.