Van Andel Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Van Andel Research Institute Chairman and CEO David Van Andel
David Van Andel

1. "Guest graduate student"

Current Employee - Guest Graduate Student in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Guest Graduate Student in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Move with my supervisor last year

Cons

Nothing in my mind. Good till now

2. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is such a great company to work for and is full of people who share a passion for science. Wonderful benefits, flexible schedule, and beautiful facility.

Cons

I don't have any complaints and have thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I finally have a job where I wake up in the morning and don't hate it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and awesome communication with employees. You show a genuine interest in your employees and encourage them to further their careers.

3. "Van andel institute"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Nice institute in nice city.

Cons

for only cancer and neurodegenerative disease research.

5. "Excellent"

Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - PhD Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State of the art technology
    Stipend guaranteed by school regardless of lab funding
    Research and travel funds guaranteed by school regardless of lab funding
    Teaching and mentoring not required
    Career

Cons

Hard to finding TA-ing opportunities, but programs are underway to fix that
    West Michigan region means there is less minority interaction, but recent national and international recruiting efforts are changing that

6. "Excellent Benefits!"

Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Research Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In addition to offering health, life, disability, and flexible spending account benefits, VAI provides full-time employees a monthly Long Term Care insurance benefit of $1,000 per month for 36 months! Employees can then purchase additional LTC coverage for themselves and their spouses! The 401(k) plan is awesome - VAI matches up to the first 5% an employee contributes to their 401(k) and then makes a discretionary contribution once a year. VAI's Vacation Policy is very generous - 10 days on date of hire; 15 days after 3 years; 20 days after 5 years; and 25 days after 7 years!

Cons

None - VAI's benefit package is comprehensive and very affordable!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with the benefits! (Love the option of a High Deductible Plan paired with a Health Savings Account. Not having to pay a monthly premium for the HDHP enables me to contribute to the HSA!)

7. "Researcher/Scientist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work. The building is gorgeous and very secure. Some very prestigious faculty have recently joined VAI, bringing with them their teams. There is more lab space being created. So there is definitely potential for expansion and growth. This is a great place to network and make connections. The building itself is often used for other conferences and career events, useful for postdoctoral members or others looking to network. VAI does attempt to maintain professionality and their reputation.

Cons

On the management side, there are some contact persons that are not knowledgeable or efficient in their jobs.

In science, it really depends on which group you are working with. Some PIs are amazing and others are not very supportive. It would be worthwhile to speak to some current staff if/when interviewing and understand the management style of the person you would be working under/with to be better prepared.

I have heard that growth in position and salary is a bit slow, but this may be managed by your individual interaction with your supervisor.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Operations in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Energetic, young workforce, mission driven, lots of positive change, good work-life balance

Cons

Lack of leadership, lack of career development opportunities, constant flux and putting out fires

9. "best institute for a postdoc"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

very good working environment, and best PIs

Cons

relatively a less known place

Advice to Management

very good in general

"Beautiful on the outside - disaster on the inside"

Former Employee - Development Communications and Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Development Communications and Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Van Andel Research Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stunning state of the art facility in great downtown location. Opportunity to work with some incredible scientific minds. Chance to feel like you're making an impact and helping people battling cancer. Vacation builds up quickly. Nice 401k match.

Cons

Where to begin? No real path or structure for advancement...It just depends who you are and who you work for. Relatively low pay (on administration side) compared to local market. Culture is harsh, dog eat dog. Only those who are willing to do whatever they're told, are "successful" long-term. Employees with talent, drive, knowledge in their fields are driven out by complacent/uneducated management. Tons of turnover on the administration side - one department went through a dozen employees within about a year. Too many politics to focus on what everyone is really there to do.

Advice to Management

Have someone in charge who can actually make (and enforce) decisions instead of a CEO who is incredibly disconnected from the real issues. Get your upper management under control. Work on establishing respect on all levels...learn to treat people like people, not disposable place holders... and really refocus on what everyone is there for: saving lives.

Van Andel Research Institute Response

Oct 8, 2014 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate the time you have provided in sharing your thoughts on VAI. We take great pride in our facilities and the work which is taking place here. We ... More

11. "Could not ask for a better employer!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great work life balance! Amazing-co-workers that are passionate about their job and the organization! Management encourages growth and development!

Cons

At this current time, I cannot think of any cons.