Van Metre Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Van Metre Companies President and CEO Richard Rabil
Richard Rabil

1. "Maybe the review posts this time?"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of co-workers, I don't really know anyone here I don't like. My position offers me flexible hours so I can take care of personal matters that arise (not always true for every position). The company provides fun company-wide events and is planning future monthly 'mandatory fun' events (which actually do sound pretty fun).

The owners often reiterate the importance of our Company Core values, and I believe they do so sincerely. They are always finding new ways to help their employees and make Van Metre a good place to work (more on that below). They sponsor multiple charity events from a summer BBQ run by the commercial department to a 5 mile run that benefits Children's National.

I have met many employees that have found paths to move up in the company, but this is very dependent on your department. I do think that the company would help an employee gain the skills they need to move up if the employee showed the ambition to do so.

The CEO is very open to new employees bringing in new ideas and new ways of doing things. I've found that most, if not all departments are eager to do the same. The CEO also hosts events to get to know new employees, which reinforces the feeling that Van Metre values everyone that works here

The company encourages people to take classes and offers tuition reimbursement. Our corporate wellness program includes weekly classes, 'Lunch and Learn' classes for health related topics, a weekly massage therapist and other perks as well.

Cons

Work-life balance is great for me, but a lot of other employees can be overworked and stressed. The pay is good if you are in the right place. I am not, but then again, my job is not nearly as stressful as others, nor does it require a degree past undergrad.

The company is growing quickly and their are certain growing pains. If we need to create a new position because of our growth, i have seen multiple instances where the position is not clearly defined, which can be stressful on new employees and makes them less efficient.

Advice to Management

Keep tabs on who is getting stressed and make sure they have enough support so we don't have productivity/quality of work drop-offs or employee burnout, all of which can hurt an entire department.

2. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of growth so room for internal promotion and they like to promote from within.
    People are super nice and happy to help
    Benefits are amazing - one of the best wellness programs I've ever seen. Free fitness classes and will reimburse your gym membership.
    Generous bonuses.
    Fun team building activities.

Cons

Hard to feel connected to the whole company since it's spread apart in different locations.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your employees. Upgrade your training.

3. "Worst place to work ever"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Herndon, VA

Pros

The work schedule makes it easy to have good work/life balance, the maintenance crew is very nice, days off are nice

Cons

This has to be the worst job I ever had. I could not stand my coworkers, they are all very selfish and not willing to help someone who is new in the field. Theyre all friends and if your not in their circle you will get mistreated, this position is for a glorified gopher, so you will be doing the bulk of the work while everyone else is just sitting there doing nothing, the maintenance people are the only cool people to talk to, everyone else has zero personality. I also feel like I didn't get paid for the hours I worked. Very bad micro-management going on here, you have 1236758 tasks to do for little pay, and if you have one bad phone survey, you are going to get FIRED, They don't even give you a chance. this company has made me realize, that I don't ever want to work in the leasing field ever again. Thank you Van metre.

Advice to Management

have some sympathy for people who are new to the industry, and hire some people with personality. and pay exactly what is earned. cut the work load, and make sure, its fairly given to all employees

"Good experience"

Former Employee - Sales in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer competitive benefits package and bonuses
    Good learning experience for sales people

Cons

Mom and pop shop. Most employees stay forever. For a Sales position expect no work life balance, working on days off, no time off during holidays. Very micro managed

"Cliquey and unappreciative management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*If you "fit the mold" (White, Upper class background) - you'll probably love Van Metre.
    *Lots of Christmas/ holiday vacation.
    *Opportunity for growth in certain areas.
    *Discounts of homes and rent (just may be shoddy construction).

Cons

*Screaming and threats are viewed as effective management techniques.
    *Discrimination by upper management.
    *Pay low in certain departments for the industry standard in the DC area.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with respect, and pay people what the are worth.

"Love the team feeling & more"

Former Employee - Regional Mgt, Property Manager and Assistant Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Living onsite
    Open Door Policy
    One on One meetings directly with Owners of Van Metre Companies (WEEKLY)
    Bonus
    Pay
    In-House Promotion
    People that I work with in my office
    Brainstorming Sessions & watching my ideas take flight.
    GREAT communication between onsite & upper mgt office in all positions.
    TOP Leasing Team & Proven track record to be strong closers. ( I LOVE my Property)

Cons

shoveling snow
    extend hours to work
    pulling weeds
    Having residents knock on my door for a work order request but then handling the problem vs passing it off.
    (all was done not by request by mgt, but on my own). Highly truth full

Advice to Management

High bonus and more paid vacation time & allowed to take my little dog into work with me (sometimes). It's like an ice breaker.

"Excellent place to work, a high-class establishment."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Fairfax, VA

Pros

Opportunity, advancement, but this is a real estate company and I worked there during the boom years! Overall, great group of people. Diligent, hard working management. If you are the type that needs a challenge and likes to take on responsibility, it was a good place for me to find people who would give me trust and a chance to further myself and their company too. I had a wish to change departments and careers and was highly supported by both the dept I wished to learn and by my managers where I was. They worked with me very patiently through some personal issues as well.

Cons

I have none to mention. Very positive experience. No company is without its politics. However, this company overall had a close knit community that worked well across teams. Professional and friendly.

Advice to Management

Keep on tryjng! I thought it was a great place, but I wouldn't want you to get complacent! You wouldn't want your people too!

9. "Client Coordinator"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment, and great staff

Cons

Limited positions for advancement or growth

10. "Disorganization at it's finest!"

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

I enjoyed working with the residents.

Cons

Management does not want to hear that the processes and systems that they've put in place are not practical and make it much harder for the leasing consultants to do their job efficiently. Often working 10-11 hour days

Advice to Management

Yes, have a couple of upper management execs spend a week or two doing the job of a leasing consultant. It won't take long to figure out where improvements should be made. If not that, get management that will listen when someone that does do the job, yells them that there are issues.

11. "No"

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

Christmas time off is good

Cons

Ridiculous expectations for the salary