Van Metre Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Very happy here!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Van Metre is a great place to work. The benefits are great. Besides the basic stuff, they have a week off at Christmas time, division wide incentive trips (at all inclusive resorts, plus you don't need to put in leave for the week!), monthly fun team building events, leave early Fridays, parental leave (moms and dads), etc... Sometimes I take these benefits for granted until I talk with friends about their workplace.

There are a lot of smart and experienced people to learn from. In terms of a real estate company, Van Metre does everything: Home building, residential/commercial leasing, mortgage & title companies, manufacturing... so if you want to diversify and constantly learn about the real estate industry this is a great place to be.

There's a foundation funded by the owners and run by a group of employees that you can recommend local charities to. They've given over a million dollars to charities in our community in the last 4 years, all suggested by employees!

I was a little caught off guard at some of the reviews complaining about diversity and nepotism. I think Van Metre is very diverse, and what another reviewer said about it being a while male's club is simply not true. I for one have a foreign background and I certainly can't golf, yet I was promoted not too long ago. Plus they are very supportive of women career advancement and development. Also I've been here over 5 years and I can only think of 3 employees (out of 700) that are related to the owners and I honestly think they're more committed and qualified than the average employee. They have more to gain from their team's success so mentioning nepotism in a negative tone isn't accurate. If anything I think they go above and beyond simply to disprove the stereotype.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative. I was surprised at the amount of poor reviews on here which is what led me to write this. I would hate the possibility of losing good future co-workers because of some negative reviews from disgruntled former employees. Please don't be deterred by them... if you follow the rules, work hard and continuously learn you will grow within the company and succeed. Are there times when it's very busy? Absolutely, but it's cyclical, not a constant issue.

Advice to Management

The company is going in the right direction. The owners and executives are always seeking to become better and grow. They're also very approachable which is nice. They should continue to offer trainings and identify employees that are committed and doing a good job for advancement opportunities.

2. "accounting dept"

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

Benefits
    IT staff are wonderful
    Admin staff are wonderful
    Great vendors
    Nice perks

Cons

Discriminatory behavior towards Women, POC, and Disabled persons
    Micromanagement
    Low salary
    Unequal pay practices
    Aggressive management practices (trying to justify jobs and compete with each other)
    Hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Look at current Turnover and Higher end management

CEO is Nice individual but I don't think he's aware of some practices that were occurring in his company.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Van Metre for 15 years and there are many other employees who have been here as long or longer. Van Metre is a great company with dedicated hard-working employees. There are plenty of opportunities for employees to grow and get involved in new things. The company is constantly evolving and growing, and management is continuously investing in training and new technology to stay current. Van Metre is extremely financially solid and the owners are building the company to last for future generations. There are plenty of other options, but after having worked at Van Metre, I never want to work anywhere else.

Management is employee focused. They say that the employees are the company's greatest asset and they back it up by listening to and responding to employee needs and concerns.

- Salary and benefits are competitive.
    - Work/Life balance is stressed.
    - Paid leave is generous, including additional days off for volunteer/charitable work, and the week between Christmas and New Year's is included in holidays.
    - Excellent corporate wellness program.

Cons

- None. Honestly, nothing comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Van Metre: New Hire"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

I started working at Van Metre within the past year and I have been thrilled with the Company. The focus on work/life balance is real, and management really supports that initiative. The positive culture that is ingrained into the organization which makes the people who work here the best. In addition, Van Metre is driven to deliver the best quality to their customers and it really shows in everything they do. I couldn't be happier with my career move and am excited for a long career at Van Metre.

Cons

There really are no "cons" I have seen while at Van Metre. I am truly happy with the type of work I am doing and the people I am working with.

Advice to Management

The focus of management to really treat their employees the best is very much appreciated.

"Van Metre is the best"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

Van Metre Companies is the best company I have worked for.
    The company values the importance of good employees.
    They truly promote work/life balance and the owners implement policies to support it, such as giving employees off between Christmas and New Years.
    Great pay and benefits.
    Company promotes continued learning and advancement.
    The people I work with are great and work hard. Open door policy including the owners.
    Excellent company to work for!!

Cons

There are no downsides to working at Van Metre.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thank you for making Van Metre a great place to work.

"Best Employer by Far"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

Great company! The owners truly care about their people and it shows in the benefits and work life balance. I've never worked a company that truly supports a great work life balance until working here.

Cons

I haven't had any complaints or issues.

7. "Great, if you are a favored employee; horrible, if not!"

I worked at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On-site TEAM feeling. Holds great company wide events, multiple times a year.

Cons

Small enough to not have growth opportunities. Spend money in the wrong places/doesn't fix the real problems.

Advice to Management

All employees must be treated the same and NOT the favorites vs. the others!

8. "Large mom&pop shop"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly events
    Gym on site
    Market pay
    Management only understand money

Cons

The company is coming to the end of the 2nd generate of owners and managers so it is not setup as a real company. Mismanaged, disorganized, and very unprofessional work environment. They don't know it yet due to they are still riding the high but reality is closing in on them slowly.

They will work you to the bone
    They will lie to your face
    They don't care about you if you are not in of there clicks.

Fyi the women are dangerous and are ready running the show.

Advice to Management

Bring in real professional and let them do their thing. Understand where you are and where you need to be to survive. As long as your friends are in management positions and not professional you are Doomed.

"Van Metre is a great place to work!"

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time

Pros

The owners and management of Van Metre really care about the employees, and are constantly implementing perks and benefits that help with work/life balance. We have a Women's Leadership group and have recently started a mentorship program, so seasoned employees can mentor other employees and help them grow in their careers. We have monthly fun events (pool parties, football tailgate parties, ice cream socials, etc.) which everyone enjoys. I honestly can't think of a better place to work than Van Metre.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Work Life Balance - "sometimes its like walking on a tight rope!""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Van Metre Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My best reason to work for Van Metre Companies is the work life balance! As an employee I feel the owners and the CEO truly understand how beneficial it is to a company to invest in the health and well-being of each of their employees! They offer an array of company sponsored events and paid programs for the employees to take advantage of, from company sponsored "Tough Mudder Teams", Charity driven 5k races in which all proceeds go to Children's Hospital, they pay up to $50 per month for an employees personal gym membership, super fun company wide events to places such as the Marriott Ranch in Hume, VA, team building events to places like The Escape room!, and many many more!!

Cons

Van Metre Companies is a very high volume " in your face workplace" it is not for the weak at heart! They do expect excellence from their employees - I do not necessarily think it is a con - as an employee at a company such as Van Metre Companies you are driven to be your very best and most of us will rise to the occasion! Just read their Mission and Culture statements! Van Metre Companies has a culture of caring and sharing fueled by core values!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!