Vancity Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Tamara Vrooman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • At times the work life balance which is preached isn (in 5 reviews)

• Poor communication from Head Office (in 8 reviews)

"Compliance"

I worked at Vancity full-time

Pros

Community involvement is paramount for the organization

Cons

Obstacles to community involvement can be difficult to influence.

Advice to Management

Focus on culture

"A current perspective"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

As others have said, Vancity employs some of the best people. Everyday you will go to work with some of the most engaged, motivated, and brilliant people in the financial sector. They care about their work, their impact, and their legacy. However, these people all eventually burn out and move on to other places where their values and worth are going to be rewarded, because Vancity just isn't that place.

Cons

Glassdoor reviews are indicative of how many people at Vancity feels. For over a year between 2016 to 2017 a slew of honest and heartfelt reviews flooded the site. These reviews were often brutal in their assessments, and probably took courage for the employees to write. However, in the past month or so, there are suddenly multiple 5-star reviews with little content or message.

Here's what's wrong: Yes, we had a brutal launch of the new banking software. It was not well-planned, despite having close to a decade to do it. It cost a lot of money. We employed and fired a bunch of people. We promoted folks who in hindsight probably should've stayed as call centre agents or analysts. We spread ourselves thin across multiple markets that we have no experience in. Everyday we come up with new phrases or acronyms. Yes, all that happened. But now let's move on from that.

Has much changed in the past couple of months? No. What you have is a company in search of a new identity. The market conditions are changing, and so are people's habits and needs in financial institutions. This means that results are not coming through, and staff continues to see restructures and packages. We also still employ a number of consultants who are billing top rates everyday for barely any work.

I feel that people who speak the truth are getting frustrated that their words don't register. There are a ton of people who want Vancity to do better, to become engaged, but they're not getting the opportunity to do so for fear of retribution. That's wrong, isn't it?

Advice to Management

It's okay to admit that you've made mistakes. Now, let's try harder to engage the folks who have been so negative about progress here so that they can offer advice and motivate other disenfranchised employees to do better. Otherwise, we're going to be stuck in the same rut over and over.

Sep 15, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Couldn't agree more with your suggestion to move on from the negativity, to focus on engagement of our staff who, by and large, want better things for Vancity. We... More

"FSR"

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of benefits and they pay well too as compared to other credit unions.

Cons

Its difficult to move up to a role at head office if you work in the branch.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, but allow employees to cross train at the head office too.

"Customer service representative"

Pros

Decent place to work
    Coworkers are nice
    Good benefits

Cons

Incompetence in management
    The lack of communication between departments is a nightmare

Advice to Management

Help people progress with your company

"its changing for not the better"

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Good benefits
    Good employee perks

Cons

Weird culture
    Bad leadership
    No team spirit
    Lacks industry standard in documentation and in IT
    Does not value different opinions

Advice to Management

Stop trying to get a piece of the pie and actually help your team and deliver. When you spend more time managing expectations than doing the work, you need to reflect.

"Opportunities"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vanity has introduced me to countless opportunities. Whether that be, volunteering and getting to know business partners in the community, reducing my eco footprint by cycling to work (through the green commute incentive program), expanding my knowledge of financial well being, and overall becoming a financially independent, socially responsible, member of my community.

Cons

Too bad not everyone can commit to providing such an outstanding work environment as Vancity.

Advice to Management

I acknowledge and appreciate the support I've gotten from all branch management I've had the pleasure of working with, I am fuelled by growth and development and thats apparent through my work and social behaviours. thank you for such amazing opportunities.

Oct 16, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thanks for sharing your feedback! It sounds like you've really taken advantage of the opportunities Vancity has provided to you - keep up the great work.

7. "Great company."

I worked at Vancity full-time

Pros

Good pay. Good Benefits. Great CEO. Great Head Office. Work life balance was awesome.

Cons

Some management were not trained properly. Squabbling with employees not resolved.

Advice to Management

Be strict and resolve problems.

8. "Commercial lender"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Competitive rates, well-rounded structure, jibes well within the realm of the business model.

Cons

I hate that I love my job. Massive downers tug the boat.

Advice to Management

You guys are fine.

"My Experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company over 10 years and had multiple positions. The benefits are great and the availability to do many different jobs is a huge plus

Cons

At times the work life balance which is preached isn’t always there. Sometimes to get a position it’s who you know, not what you know

Advice to Management

N/A

Nov 8, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re pleased to have you with us for a decade in different roles with Vancity.

"CEO and Senior Management is the issue"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

The front line staff are doing their best they can and work very hard to look after Members.

Cons

The long-term employees have felt a very real shift to the corporate culture over the past 5 years or so. The main issue is the CEO and the "yes" people that have been hired as the new senior leaders. If anyone has the guts to disagree with the CEO, you are essentially fired or demoted (but most are fired and many quit or "retire" early in frustration). For the new senior leaders that are hired, you must share in the new religion - experience is irrelevant. That is unfortunate for both the employees and Members that rely on us to manage their money on their behalf.

Vancity tries to position itself as a caring and good employer, but unfortunately that is just hype. Personally, I would stay away from applying to Vancity while the current leadership remains, there are better companies to work for that treat employees fairly and with more respect.

Advice to Management

The Vancity Board needs to start talking with front-line staff and lower level managers to find out what is really going on. Change is needed at the top.