Vancity Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Tamara Vrooman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The majority of the negative reviews seem to relate to Head Office (in 6 reviews)

• I've seen numerous great people being let go because they disagreed with management (in 6 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Surrey, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Enjoy the work and helping members reach financial goals. Coworkers get along and support one another. Salary is adequate. I like working for a socially responsible company because I share the same values in my daily life and that is what first attracted me to Vancity

Cons

Management does not like to hear any input from employees that are actually performing the job and working directly with members. If you speak out in a respectful manner, you are shut down immediately. Vancity talks about work life balance but when you don't give 110% of your time, we are told that ' we are all working hard' and in other words quit complaining. We have been told we have a 'time management' problem when in reality it is a 'management' problem.There are too many competing objectives, expectations, committees, meetings that get in the way of actually performing the job satisfactory. When it comes to good employee relations, Vancity doesn't always walk the talk. I just want to do the job I am paid to do well.

Advice to Management

W hen I started at Vancity, employees were Vancity's most valuable resource. I no longer feel that way when I see the way that long term employees are being mistreated. Management can be very critical and try to cause stress if they want an employee to leave. Seems so heartless. Even if you are not the target, it makes everyone feel vulnerable.

Jul 12, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been the best recently. We recognize that you are not alone in your desire to have your perspective heard and... More

"Dysfunctional Senior Management"

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally good work life balance, benefits package and friendly work environment (if you are not part of the senior management poisonous environment).

If you just want a paycheck, there are worse places.

Cons

Dysfunctional senior management team and toxic environment at the senior levels.

Lots of senior management positions occupied by individuals with no relevant experience or technical expertise but have been promoted because their face (which more often than not is female) fits.

Despite protestations to the contrary and frequent exhortations for honesty and transparency, there is a strong aversion to bad news (for example when things went wrong with the launch of the new banking system) and intolerance of views which are not aligned with the CEO's and her cabal of advisors.

As a consequence, there is a religious cult like environment where only one version of the truth is tolerated. Proximity to and finding favor with the CEO and her close cabal of advisors is the key to progression and promotion.

Leadership, management and technical competence or experience is not a requirement for the job (Q: which major financial institution in Canada has a CFO who is not a designated accountant and incredibly, does not even report into the CEO and therefore is not part of the executive team ?)

It's an almost surreal situation whereby a great experiment is being conducted to see how many incompetent individuals can be put into senior positions before the business is run into the ground.

The real unsung heroes in the organisation are the middle and lower management staff who run around like headless chickens trying to keep the ship afloat and trying not to implement the latest ill thought through initiative from the most recent senior management groupthink session without actually appearing to do so (Strategic 2020 Plan anyone ?).

Staff morale is low and after several years of trying to get staff engagement levels up without success, senior management decided to do away with engagement surveys, dismissing them as not a useful tool for measuring engagement !

If you just want a paycheck every two weeks, there are worse places to be but be prepared to drink the Kool Aid, and lots of it.

If you want to work somewhere where you get to grow and develop and are given opportunities based on merit and doing a job well, this is not the place.

Advice to Management

What is the point ?

"Sadly going downhill..."

I worked at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're not in management, you'll love working at Vancity. The culture, people, benefits, compensation and and work are generally great! More akin to working at a not-for-profit where you feel good about what you do and your colleagues are nice, happy people. If you want to coast at work, enjoy what you do, this is a really great place. In a way, it's like getting a government job.

Cons

However, if you want to move up, advance your career, learn a lot in your field, this is really not the place to be at.
    Nepotism has gotten to a point, where you just have to ask yourself "what's the point?" Most other reviews have point this out again and again. There are specific people identified who will get opportunities and promotions. If you're not on the list, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Or be miserable and stay put while the "identified" people get all the glory. How is this a healthy culture? How is this true to the Vancity values that are preached? How did it get to this point? It's sad.

What's disheartening is seeing all the great people leave this once great organization and employer. Either by choice or not, people are leaving and with it, the passion and culture of Vancity.

Advice to Management

To be honest, the best thing for you to do is just leave and get back into politics already! Hopefully the board will hire someone who can clean up this mess before it's really too late to change.

May 23, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am sorry your experience at Vancity was not what you hoped it would be. There have been a lot of changes over the past few years and that’s going to feel like real... More

"Strongly Value Driven"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are into developing the community, having engagement with not just your company but your clients, triple-bottom line and other CSR issues it is definitely a good pick for a career.

Cons

There is very little growth potential or employee development. It seems to be primarily just meeting staffing requirements. Not much of a challenge at work. Perhaps I'm too ambitious of a person to be ready to just be content with no growth potential.

Advice to Management

More focus on employee development beyond just base pay and benefits. Understand that different employees are at different stages in their career and may want a more aggressive growth trajectory.

May 31, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We can appreciate your interest in developing potential and offering employee engagement programs. We are in our second year of The Explorer Network... More

"Everyday is Groundhog Day....."

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A comfortable salary and benefits package, and it certainly all looks great on paper. They really do try, Its a diverse workforce and a good place for females and young moms to advance relative to other companies.

Cons

Its like waking up on Groundhog day every single day. They try hard to be everything to everyone and ALWAYS come up short. The current senior leadership teams are all relative newbies treating in house experience with contempt, and none of them actually believes anything they are saying. Vancity is potentially just a marketing gimmick now. The most unfocused organization of its size in BC. There are millions of programs, products, and initiatives ; most are half baked, and no one has the guts to edit or fail fast. An organization obsessed with a belief in intangible benefits and not an ounce of real data to back up anything.

Advice to Management

Project Management 101 ! Eliminate half the initiatives, you are spread out thin as pastry.

Jul 15, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thanks for your feedback - although now I'm craving a croissant! You're right - we DO try to do a lot. This is because we see so many opportunities to serve our members better, and many critical... More

"Stay away until they sort out their priorities!"

I worked at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay/benefits for entry level workers.
    If you work hard you will learn a lot, but it's all on you.
    A lot of great people work there, you have the opportunity to make good friends.

Cons

Unhealthy corporate culture. A lot of people are really unhappy.
    If you have a bad manager or one you can't get along with, you might as well just quit.
    Their values are more of a marketing ploy than something meaningful they actually believe.
    The new systems upgrade is a nightmare. It's terrible for staff and members. Problems are systemic.
    The new system was so expensive and over budget that the employees are now paying for it with lack of merit increases and severe cut-backs, including significant dismissals across the organization.
    Promotions almost NEVER go to the most qualified individuals, always the same friends of managers over and over.
    Commitments are not followed through with. They dangle the carrot to infinity with no substance behind anything they say.
    Salary increases are practically non-existent, even for top performers with tenure.
    Severe inequality between management and support staff.
    Significant rotation and turnover of staff at all levels, including executives.

Advice to Management

Walk your talk! Listen to your employees and treat them as well as you talk about treating your members. Promote the talent, not just the people you have drinks with on Saturday nights. There are many talented, ambitious, capable, highly respectable hard working people waiting in the wings to advance their career who will never get the time of day because the entire system revolves around favouritism. I worked at Vanity for more than 6 years. I was a top performer every year, always had excellent reviews, was well liked by most, volunteered my time regularly, worked long hours without pay to bring in more business, and gave a significant portion of my life to Vancity. I brought all my friends and family to the institution. They need to get their priorities straight. Follow your own policies, systems, and processes to foster growth of and protect employees.

People reading this may think this is an isolated unhappy person but I can assure you that is not the case. I’m not unhappy, I’m relieved. I write this review as honestly and objectively as possible so others can know what they're potentially getting into. My biggest regret at Vancity was not leaving sooner.

Jun 16, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We can understand the frustration of working really hard and not feeling recognized for it. We are focused on creating more development opportunities and identifying... More

"Response to "No Clarity""

Current Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefit and a few kind employee still exist in the organization.

Cons

Thank you to the one who posted "No Clarity"
    I totally agree with all you said on your post.
    I have been working at Vancity for more than 10yrs. No recognition of the one who don't have a family memeber or a relative in the organization.
    Management review is a total scam, if they want their kind to be promoted, your review is tarnished.
    Townhall meetin??? Management only choose the one they pre-position with the questions. If you don't agree management does no allow you to attend. Unfortunately the meeting is really rigged.

Advice to Management

What's the point: If one brings it up you will be Marked as not a team player. And if you apply to another branch or position. They will call to give you a bad recommendation. Nepotism is rampant.

Jul 13, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The town halls are intended to be an opportunity for Tamara to connect directly with staff and hear their candid views; I'm sorry to hear that hasn't been your... More

"Environment"

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Living wage organization, so the pay is good

Cons

Takes forever to move up, it's all about who you know

Advice to Management

Boring should only be implemented by hr, branch should not do the interviews

May 19, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for sharing your comments. We’re pretty proud of being a Living Wage employer, glad you are too. I know it can feel frustrating if you are looking for your next move, there were 500 roles... More

"It's not a top 100 employer!"

I worked at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company that has great community impact, mission and values. They are unique to any other financial institution.

Cons

Bad managers are allowed to continue with their bullying behaviour and many landed roles in departments where they have no clue about anything the department does. Promotion and opportunities is based on who you know. Favouritism is rampant.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with experience and have a system in place so managers are held accountable for inexcusable behaviour. They should not be untouchable.

"It was okay"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Vancity (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were very nice, great pay for a student

Cons

Boss didn't really understand much