Vancity Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tamara Vrooman

Pros
Cons
  • The majority of the negative reviews seem to relate to Head Office (in 6 reviews)

• I've seen numerous great people being let go because they disagreed with management (in 6 reviews)

"FSR"

Pros

Great company to work for. Lots of benefits and they pay well too as compared to other credit unions.

Cons

Its difficult to move up to a role at head office if you work in the branch.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, but allow employees to cross train at the head office too.

"FSR"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible part time hours
    Differently lead organization, some are different bad most is good. Meaning there is too many initiatives but most times those initiatives benefit both sides.
    Staff is treated quiet well, trust me I've seen abuse in other companies.
    There are worse things to dwell over in life than to be butthurt over the littlest things, for example, there are people dying in Africa and poverty countries. Yet I hear some people complain about the littlest things that they have control over.
    Let's think about humanity first, solving problems then coming to a solution TOGETHER instead of tearing each other down.
    Women need to stand up for themselves and especially each other, and I fully support them.

Cons

If I was really dissatisfied working here, I wouldn't be here. It's not rocket science, it's quiet simple. Simple as pie.

Advice to Management

I understand you are learning the new system and not just the software but the organization structure, my advice to management is to give us some type of incentive to boost our morale.

"FSR member"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new system isnt perfect but the people who I work with are pretty close to it. I went to orientation immersion and DID NOT drink the kool aid. I did go to tacofino though and I was blown away by what we do...there's so many things I didn;t know we were involved with and I am proud to say I work for Vancity. Shout out to my coworkers who are like family, fsr bff and AM nl.

Cons

Sorry to break it to the old dogs who have been with Vancity for a while but I can see the young people are taking over. They are getting scared of their own job seeing some of the whiney complaints from who have been there for more than 5 years. I guess you wont see all the newest people in the glassdoor reviews who are in Branch, HO, Call Centre because they're actually loving the fact that they are getting a lot of opportunities and intidmidating the people who are so used to getting a paycheck then going home. They are showing energy and are powerfully but slowly outnumbering by innovating new ideas to the table.. The young people are showing what theyve got and rising so yes the lazy long time employees should be scared.

Advice to Management

Put some car air freshners in the washrooms. Replace young people with the people who are complaining but not doing anything their life so everyone can stop being uncomfertable by their negative energy. If you don; t like where youre working..then please do everyone a favour and leave so people who are going to work ten times harder without complaining can get opportunities. Can i get an amen?

Jun 1, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Glad to hear that you have made such a close bond with your co-workers and are seeing opportunities ahead. We'll look into the air fresheners... ;)

"Co-workers are great! Mid management needs development"

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, long term employment prospects, Co-workers are awesome, yearly education benefit, organization is in a change cycle so lots of interesting positions could be on the horizon

Cons

Communication can be ambiguous, your experience at work depends entirely on how well your manager manages, some managers are very green and their staff suffer as a result.

Advice to Management

Strategic information is rarely shared with non-management staff in a meaningful way (i.e. what's in it for me?). Information is shared on company intranet, but that means nothing if your direct manager hasn't read it or made an attempt to ensure everyone on their team is aware of it and understands it. A lot of important information stalls at the mid-manager level and never reaches lower staff. When you are too busy handling the day to day then you lose sight of the overall vision, and junior staff who are too busy don't even know that they should be looking to their manager for strategic information.

"It's not that bad"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with Vancity for 6 months and after working with several other employers I must say Vancity is not that bad. The benefits, support and welcome I have received is remarkable! The onboarding process was unlike any other and my training was perfect! I am staying here for awhile.

Cons

Some staff are spoiled and have a negative attitude.

Advice to Management

If people are not happy at Vancity they should leave! No one is holding them down.

May 19, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for your comments, glad your first 6 months have been such a positive experience, and I agree, the people here are remarkable!

"It's alright"

Current Employee - Developer in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Pros are that it's alright
    Staff parties are really nice and treat you well
    We get perks that make me want to stay
    Our pay is nice hope this helps

Cons

Buerocratic in my area
      Gets boring
    Portfolio designing can be a hassle but worth the pay
    I have no more words but it's making me type atleast 20 minimum

Advice to Management

Have more opportunities to move up

Jun 7, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Aren’t 20 word minimums the worst? Thanks for finding the words to share your feedback, glad to hear you’re doing alright. :)

"I am proud to work here"

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities, employees looked at in terms of potential. Executive constantly seeking to make our communities better. Willing to try new things.

Having read some of the negative reviews, so I gather I'll be assigned a label of 'kool aid drinker' or 'chosen one' by them, but I have never worked in a place so full of people who want to make positive change (from top to bottom). I am very proud of the work that I do, and, hand on heart, I can not say that about any company that I have ever worked for.

Most of the people who say they can't voice their concerns, don't seem to have tried very hard. I feel very able to speak my mind and have been given positive feedback and new opportunities when I have highlighted things that were not working and offered suggestions.

Cons

People who give 1 star reviews of their company and then sit taking a paycheck and try to make things as crappy as possible for the people who are excited for the future. I don't get it.

There are still people who think change is bad, or 'I've been here a long time and this is the way we do things' (or more often - why we can't), it can be a barrier but there are less and less of them.

Advice to Management

Hire new staff who have the potential to do anything (not just the job they do now and then they get disgruntled when they don't advance).

Jun 1, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for your comment. Change can definitely be hard but it is inevitable and being open minded is truly appreciated.

"I love it here"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

I for one have been treated like gold here, and am always provided opportunities to further my career

Cons

really hard to get rid of useless employees who do nothing for our organization

Advice to Management

stop being so afraid to fire people!

May 31, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for your comment. Glad to hear you've enjoyed your time with us and gaining opportunities!

"Exceptional Organization"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Vancity as a contractor

Pros

Vancity is a progressive, vision-focused credit union that cares deeply for its members and its staff. They are making lots of important changes to help ensure the credit union's and its members' long-term viability and with these changes comes some uncertainty and discomfort. Thank you Vancity for being so forward looking!

Cons

Vancity is full of dedicated employees who have been working there for a long time. Change is difficult, but for some it is harder.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - you are definitely on the right track! Kudos to Tamara and her dedicated team!

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great atmosphere, good compensation, get to be helpful in the community

Cons

like any full time job, the 9-5 work life gets tough with small kids

Advice to Management

be flexible. Acknowledge strong talent.

Jun 16, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thanks for your comment and advice. Delighted to hear you're enjoying your time with us.