Vancity Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Tamara Vrooman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • numbing turnover in head office staff (in 7 reviews)

• At times the work life balance which is preached isn (in 4 reviews)

"A current perspective"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

As others have said, Vancity employs some of the best people. Everyday you will go to work with some of the most engaged, motivated, and brilliant people in the financial sector. They care about their work, their impact, and their legacy. However, these people all eventually burn out and move on to other places where their values and worth are going to be rewarded, because Vancity just isn't that place.

Cons

Glassdoor reviews are indicative of how many people at Vancity feels. For over a year between 2016 to 2017 a slew of honest and heartfelt reviews flooded the site. These reviews were often brutal in their assessments, and probably took courage for the employees to write. However, in the past month or so, there are suddenly multiple 5-star reviews with little content or message.

Here's what's wrong: Yes, we had a brutal launch of the new banking software. It was not well-planned, despite having close to a decade to do it. It cost a lot of money. We employed and fired a bunch of people. We promoted folks who in hindsight probably should've stayed as call centre agents or analysts. We spread ourselves thin across multiple markets that we have no experience in. Everyday we come up with new phrases or acronyms. Yes, all that happened. But now let's move on from that.

Has much changed in the past couple of months? No. What you have is a company in search of a new identity. The market conditions are changing, and so are people's habits and needs in financial institutions. This means that results are not coming through, and staff continues to see restructures and packages. We also still employ a number of consultants who are billing top rates everyday for barely any work.

I feel that people who speak the truth are getting frustrated that their words don't register. There are a ton of people who want Vancity to do better, to become engaged, but they're not getting the opportunity to do so for fear of retribution. That's wrong, isn't it?

Advice to Management

It's okay to admit that you've made mistakes. Now, let's try harder to engage the folks who have been so negative about progress here so that they can offer advice and motivate other disenfranchised employees to do better. Otherwise, we're going to be stuck in the same rut over and over.

Vancity Response

Sep 15, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Couldn't agree more with your suggestion to move on from the negativity, to focus on engagement of our staff who, by and large, want better things for Vancity. We... More

"Horrible. They promote work life balance but good luck with that."

Pros

It's a job and they're not a bank.

Cons

Very poor management and communication; many managers have no real world experience outside of Vancity so have no clue how the real world works

Some managers are given projects way outside of their comfort zone and have no idea what they are managing; in turn they try desperately to cover their asses and point their fingers at others for blame

Most employees are lifers and have no incentive to think outside the box and have very little initiative

A very hierarchy based enviornment where sucking up is everywhere until you get into back room discussions

A lack of respect across the board but it's not even noticed, just buried. Management likes to portray Vancity as a wonderful place to work, sadly it's a more toxic environment than most actually realilze

Belief that most members care about investing in initatives that help the community, meanwhile most members care about their money and getting a return

Employees care more about their bonuses than anything else. These bonuses should be going back to members instead of the sedintary, disinterested employees

As a member I've noticed the high turnover at my local branch, not a good sign of a great work environment.

If you are thinking about taking on a contract or becoming a full time employee, think twice.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you have the utopian work enviornment, it's far from it. You have managers who are jealous of their directors, you have VPs that think a monthly meeting is shoring up moral, you have employees that are so complacent they have turned into zombies, and you are completely out of touch with your members.

"Nothing that I expected. Left to flounder in my position with no help or support. Even reaching out to HR - useless."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice social environment at times.

Cons

Management - out of touch with employees.
    Not supportive of employees.
    Pay attention when our team is working overtime -- all the time to meet your goals.
    Not participating in team building social events is frowned upon.
    Best company to work for is a sham.
    Not all areas are bad, but those that are bad are extremely toxic.
    New employees not accepted as easily into culture.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns and take action rather than appearing to care, it would help if you actually stepped in and cared.

"Vancity is a terrible company"

Current Employee - Vice-President in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Vice-President in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none. I wish I could think of a single one.

Cons

Politics. Crappy CEO. Dumb decisions.

Advice to Management

Time for a major change in the management suite.

"Awful, non-authentic culture"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

People in the branch are nice, although not very qualified
    Mortgage discounts for employees

Cons

Leadership team out for themselves
    Very political
    Poor processes

Advice to Management

Replace CEO and entire executive team

"Good intentions, low ability to execute"

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are friendly and typically committed to social change.

Cons

Organization is a mess right now. Many divergent priorities with little strategy and not enough resources. Depending on your role, work/life balance can be weighted towards work. Perception of Vancity as a great place to work is outdated.

Advice to Management

In order to change the banking industry, first you need to understand it.

"Lack of proper management..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Vancity for approximately 5 years now - we have a great immersion program, benefits after 6 months even for those that are part-time staff, you get three weeks vacations right off the bat and paid training if you would like to further your education. The pay is technically living wage however it's not for a city like Vancouver.

Cons

Senior management at the contact centre is extremely lacking in management skills - the lifers and dead weights are eventually bumped up to being in the management role due to those with skills leaving. Both the management and the union are useless in the sense that they cannot help you with any arising issues at work. Work life balance is quite poor, hard time retaining student employees as part-timers are forced to work extra shifts by service assurance. Bleak outlook for career advancement in the company unless someone is your relative or you're a manager's pet.

Advice to Management

Please look carefully at your management staff - they are the reason why employees are dropping like flies.

"Worst company for moral & promotions"

Current Employee - Community Businiess in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Businiess in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Really can't say anything good.

Cons

Company acts more like a political group than a credit Union. They have all ex NDP on the board. Staff get fired and made to sign non disclosure to receive a package. Then they tell staff some none sense about how they have moved to bigger and better things. There have no transparency and will lie to staff.
    Managers are puppets and have no voice or concern as long as they get paid more money. Management continue to get promoted and raises while staff suffer pay freezes.
    They have run out of money and tell us to make up lies for our members why we can't lend money anymore.
    They tell us to make deals look like impact so we can tell the community how much we do.
    Most deals are not impact.
    The company is bleeding money and the CEO is just getting paid more and more.
    Head Office has no clue what happens at the branch level.

Advice to Management

Tell Tamara & Rick the truth about how staff feel. Hire managers that can lend and not just talk nonsense about impact.

"No place for a career"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Local office, opportunity to work in different areas. Head office is Vancouver.

Cons

Poor service outside of Vancouver proper. Inexperienced managers being promoted because they are 'the type. Lots of layoffs here of very good people but they schedule it so that it is a few each week as they worry about reputation. Over 100 people let go already this year. Financial troubles due to banking project gone terribly wrong.

"Can't see the woods for the trees - Avoid."

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- There's some good people left working here (but who knows for how much longer)
    - The head office/central location is easy to get to as it's on a skytrain route
    - Doing good in the community via education, grants etc
    - Dog-friendly office and branches

Cons

- Most of the good people who worked here have left for better opportunities elsewhere. I'll be looking for a new job elsewhere in 2017 as opportunities for advancement or a pay raise are non-existent.
    - Weird climate of fear and inauthenticity masquerading as practiced values. Staff seem afraid to say what they're thinking for fear of being fired.
    - Lots of 'yes' people in management who smile/show face to those above them but don't do the same to those they manage.
    - Very concerned with how its members and the public perceives it (rather than actually getting things right or being accountable for when they get things wrong which happens more than i'd care to admit)
    - Recent upgrade that we spent millions upon millions of members money on was a gongshow producing issues that are still ongoing weeks after go live. Members are not happy but there was more focus on damage control rather than addressing the problems in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Read the full reviews here - take note that many of us are saying the same thing yet nothing is done to change the issues. Sad to see the direction the organization has taken in the past few years, this used to be such a positive, authentic place to work.