Vancity Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tamara Vrooman

Pros
Cons
  • Its difficult to move up to a role at head office if you work in the branch (in 6 reviews)

• Over 100 people let go already this year (in 5 reviews)

"Severe lack of transparency, and inability to accept constructive critcism, wrong people are promoted"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Glassdoor indicates that Vancity is an "engaged" employer, which means that Vancity's HR actively monitors the reviews posted on here. In any normal universe, this means that some of the concerns that people have (and these concerns are consistent and repeated in all of the recent reviews) will be taken seriously and reviewed. I mean, it's pretty clear which individuals most of these reviewers are talking about. But instead of addressing people in an honest manner, HR (sorry, I won't call you People Solutions when you are not solving anything) continues to trot out canned responses: contact your HR reps (I'm sorry, consultants- what are they consulting, exactly?), they're promoting "talent," etc. etc. However, if the team under these promoted folks continue to quit or get fired, if people are too afraid to speak out, if the CEO herself has essentially called these reviews "fake news," then how sincere are you to suggest these responses as "solutions?" Sometimes as an organization you have to fall on your sword and admit that you are wrong, but somehow, I don't see these people having the guts or honesty to do that.

Cons

Everything that's been posted on here over the past year and a half is accurate. People are continually packaged out.
    -Banking renewal took too long and spent too much money.
    -Members are leaving.
    -Buzzwords have replaced actual work.
    -BA without any experience is promoted to VP for no reason.
    -Process simplification work that's gutting processes but with no results.
    -People are ushered from one meeting to another with no sense of purpose. -Ineffective performers are identified as "talent" and promoted to lead departments they have no expertise in.
    -Focus is placed on advertising our brand rather than actually working on our brand.
    -Re-organization every few months because the wrong people are promoted.
    -Lying and blaming others is exemplified as "leadership."
    -CEO who is oblivious to the change in morale and company enthusiasm.
    -Fake "Top 100 Places to Work" via part-ownership in the magazine that runs the survey.
    -Despite the bleeding, thanks to certain VP, now Vancity is looking to expand nationally into markets where they have limited knowledge and expertise to create a "National Impact Bank."
    -Said bank led by an executive who has shown no results in the department he formerly led.

All these things are true. Everyone, including the yes women (and some men), will tell you as soon as they get a couple of moments away from the oppression. I am in a position where I have contact with executive leaders and senior managers, and I know for a fact that most of the people are afraid to speak up even though they don't agree with the direction and methods.

The HR response continually mentions "secession planning," but really all that is whoever the Executive in Residence and the CEO has identified as the "talent." There is no requirement to demonstrate capacity or successes. The Board literally does anything the pair says, it's all just simple consensus.

Advice to Management

At this point, there really is no advice to management. They're the problem. The only chance for revival of the credit union is if the elected board members take ownership of the sinking ship and start to make effective changes to the way the whole place is run. Please, listen to your employees. You may think that 118 reviews don't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but think of how many negative reviews with consistent messaging have been posted over the past year and a half? Think of the "silent majority" that elected Trump. You have good people in the credit union who are proud of the work the credit union has accomplished since inception. They are leaders and innovators, but are oppressed by the cabal in charge. These reviews are not meaningless- they speak to the same problems over and over again. No canned responses from HR is going to soothe the mistrust and hurt these people have caused. Please consider this message.

Vancity Response

May 11, 2017

We disagree with many of your points, and we will focus on some facts. Our leaders and employees are encouraged to share feedback. This year alone, our CEO has held numerous small town hall meetings ... More

"Horrible. They promote work life balance but good luck with that."

Pros

It's a job and they're not a bank.

Cons

Very poor management and communication; many managers have no real world experience outside of Vancity so have no clue how the real world works

Some managers are given projects way outside of their comfort zone and have no idea what they are managing; in turn they try desperately to cover their asses and point their fingers at others for blame

Most employees are lifers and have no incentive to think outside the box and have very little initiative

A very hierarchy based enviornment where sucking up is everywhere until you get into back room discussions

A lack of respect across the board but it's not even noticed, just buried. Management likes to portray Vancity as a wonderful place to work, sadly it's a more toxic environment than most actually realilze

Belief that most members care about investing in initatives that help the community, meanwhile most members care about their money and getting a return

Employees care more about their bonuses than anything else. These bonuses should be going back to members instead of the sedintary, disinterested employees

As a member I've noticed the high turnover at my local branch, not a good sign of a great work environment.

If you are thinking about taking on a contract or becoming a full time employee, think twice.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you have the utopian work enviornment, it's far from it. You have managers who are jealous of their directors, you have VPs that think a monthly meeting is shoring up moral, you have employees that are so complacent they have turned into zombies, and you are completely out of touch with your members.

"Nothing that I expected. Left to flounder in my position with no help or support. Even reaching out to HR - useless."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice social environment at times.

Cons

Management - out of touch with employees.
    Not supportive of employees.
    Pay attention when our team is working overtime -- all the time to meet your goals.
    Not participating in team building social events is frowned upon.
    Best company to work for is a sham.
    Not all areas are bad, but those that are bad are extremely toxic.
    New employees not accepted as easily into culture.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns and take action rather than appearing to care, it would help if you actually stepped in and cared.

"Vancity is a terrible company"

Current Employee - Vice-President in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Vice-President in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are none. I wish I could think of a single one.

Cons

Politics. Crappy CEO. Dumb decisions.

Advice to Management

Time for a major change in the management suite.

"Awful, non-authentic culture"

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

People in the branch are nice, although not very qualified
    Mortgage discounts for employees

Cons

Leadership team out for themselves
    Very political
    Poor processes

Advice to Management

Replace CEO and entire executive team

"Good intentions, low ability to execute"

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are friendly and typically committed to social change.

Cons

Organization is a mess right now. Many divergent priorities with little strategy and not enough resources. Depending on your role, work/life balance can be weighted towards work. Perception of Vancity as a great place to work is outdated.

Advice to Management

In order to change the banking industry, first you need to understand it.

"Lack of proper management..."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Vancity for approximately 5 years now - we have a great immersion program, benefits after 6 months even for those that are part-time staff, you get three weeks vacations right off the bat and paid training if you would like to further your education. The pay is technically living wage however it's not for a city like Vancouver.

Cons

Senior management at the contact centre is extremely lacking in management skills - the lifers and dead weights are eventually bumped up to being in the management role due to those with skills leaving. Both the management and the union are useless in the sense that they cannot help you with any arising issues at work. Work life balance is quite poor, hard time retaining student employees as part-timers are forced to work extra shifts by service assurance. Bleak outlook for career advancement in the company unless someone is your relative or you're a manager's pet.

Advice to Management

Please look carefully at your management staff - they are the reason why employees are dropping like flies.

"Worst company for moral & promotions"

Current Employee - Community Businiess in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Community Businiess in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Really can't say anything good.

Cons

Company acts more like a political group than a credit Union. They have all ex NDP on the board. Staff get fired and made to sign non disclosure to receive a package. Then they tell staff some none sense about how they have moved to bigger and better things. There have no transparency and will lie to staff.
    Managers are puppets and have no voice or concern as long as they get paid more money. Management continue to get promoted and raises while staff suffer pay freezes.
    They have run out of money and tell us to make up lies for our members why we can't lend money anymore.
    They tell us to make deals look like impact so we can tell the community how much we do.
    Most deals are not impact.
    The company is bleeding money and the CEO is just getting paid more and more.
    Head Office has no clue what happens at the branch level.

Advice to Management

Tell Tamara & Rick the truth about how staff feel. Hire managers that can lend and not just talk nonsense about impact.

"No place for a career"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Local office, opportunity to work in different areas. Head office is Vancouver.

Cons

Poor service outside of Vancouver proper. Inexperienced managers being promoted because they are 'the type. Lots of layoffs here of very good people but they schedule it so that it is a few each week as they worry about reputation. Over 100 people let go already this year. Financial troubles due to banking project gone terribly wrong.

"Can't see the woods for the trees - Avoid."

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- There's some good people left working here (but who knows for how much longer)
    - The head office/central location is easy to get to as it's on a skytrain route
    - Doing good in the community via education, grants etc
    - Dog-friendly office and branches

Cons

- Most of the good people who worked here have left for better opportunities elsewhere. I'll be looking for a new job elsewhere in 2017 as opportunities for advancement or a pay raise are non-existent.
    - Weird climate of fear and inauthenticity masquerading as practiced values. Staff seem afraid to say what they're thinking for fear of being fired.
    - Lots of 'yes' people in management who smile/show face to those above them but don't do the same to those they manage.
    - Very concerned with how its members and the public perceives it (rather than actually getting things right or being accountable for when they get things wrong which happens more than i'd care to admit)
    - Recent upgrade that we spent millions upon millions of members money on was a gongshow producing issues that are still ongoing weeks after go live. Members are not happy but there was more focus on damage control rather than addressing the problems in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Read the full reviews here - take note that many of us are saying the same thing yet nothing is done to change the issues. Sad to see the direction the organization has taken in the past few years, this used to be such a positive, authentic place to work.