Vancity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Tamara Vrooman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Call centre hours is based on seniority and you could get some pretty odd hours or overnight shifts (there is a paid premium tho) (in 6 reviews)

• I've seen numerous great people being let go because they disagreed with management (in 6 reviews)

"MISERABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR EXPERIENCED STAFF"

Current Employee - Office in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Office in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated and passionate co-workers (although the numbers of these good people seem to be dwindling, as people leave in frustration).

Cons

I could not, in good conscience, recommend Vancity to anyone in the industry that is experienced and knowledgeable in their field within financial services. If you are experienced, you will be nothing but miserable and frustrated at Vancity. Here are the issues that you would face if you joined Vancity as someone with years of experience:

- Supervisors (Manager, Directors, VPs) have almost no experience in the area they are leading, but are put into place because they apparently are great people leaders. In reality, they do not have proven people leadership or people skills. As a result, experienced staff members are often not treated with the respect that they deserve, because their less competent supervisors feel threatened by those underneath them who know considerably more than they do.

- You will have a heavy workload and often find yourself doing work at a level well above your pay grade, if you are an experienced employee. Complex work and/or highly responsible work will be given to experienced staff members, because supervisors (who are paid at a high level to shoulder this higher level of responsibility) do not have the technical expertise to actually complete the work of the department, so they cannot do the higher level work. In exchange for a heavier workload, more complex work and responsibility above your pay grade, experienced staff cannot expect advancement. Knowledge and experience is detrimental for advancement. Only those with a certain image and “fresh perspective” (fresh perspective is a euphemism for lack of knowledge and experience) will be promoted. Experienced staff members must know their place: they are only there to do the work! Experienced staff should not expect respect, recognition, accolades or compensation commensurate with the responsibility they are required to undertake. And the inexperienced and incompetent supervisors will be sure to take all the credit for the excellent work done by their experienced underlings (otherwise, how do these inexperienced people keep their jobs? They have no choice but to take all the credit!).

- Decisions that are made by these supervisors are typically not well-thought out and are often quite reactive. The reason for this is that knowledge and experience is needed to make a meaningful, thoughtful and proactive decisions. Well-meaning, knowledgeable staff often try to assist their supervisors in making better decisions, but as mentioned previously, the supervisors are often threatened by their knowledgeable underlings, resulting in poor treatment of experienced staff members.

- Information needed to do your job is often closely-held, because “knowledge is power” and the inexperienced higher-ups want to keep information to themselves as much as possible, because this is all they’ve got! They don’t have the knowledge or the experience to do their jobs, so best to keep all information to themselves! As a result, the information needed to do projects or tasks often does not make its way to the staff person doing the work, which results in a lot of wasted effort (and redoing work product). It should be noted that sometimes, the information is not deliberately withheld, but the inexpert supervisor actually didn’t understand the significance of the information and didn’t understand that it could be relevant to the project or work at hand.

Advice to Management

- Young or new Vancity staff members reading this will probably say, “why stay if you hate it so much?” Well, when you have invested many years in Vancity’s pension plan, it makes it difficult to leave. So, you just keep working hard and hope for things to get better, although it doesn’t. The last few years have been particularly difficult and it has nothing to do with the new banking system, but HAS EVERTHING TO DO WITH VANCITY’S LEADERSHIP AND DIRECTION.

- Vancity has been experimenting with a new leadership model. A suggestion for Vancity is to try a novel/innovative approach and that is to put knowledgeable, experienced Managers and leaders in place (both from a people leadership and technical expertise perspective), much like all of our competitors have. This will not only allow Vancity to compete more effectively in the marketplace, but will make it a happier place to work (like it used to be, years ago). Why can’t Vancity set a standard to have leadership that is innovative, but ALSO experienced and knowledgeable? Why is Vancity settling for less?

- I have read some People Solutions replies to Glassdoor reviews that it will take time to “reap the benefits” of the new leadership direction. But at what cost? And what happens when all of the experienced staff leaves? (Most importantly, who will do the work? Not the supervisors or leaders who don’t know how to do the work!) Many of my experienced coworkers (who didn’t join Vancity’s pension plan) are actively looking to leave Vancity. Vancity’s future includes experienced employees, but with so many trying to leave, Vancity’s future is looking less than bright. TO ALL PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES: try another F.I.! Vancity truly is a miserable place to work.

"Lying, mind game playing management"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Decent starting pay, vacation, benefits

Cons

I have been with Vancity for more than 7 years. When I started, I have seen some really good managers, that helped me in my career development and even emotionally supported me - almost like family.

But things have changed.

Read the book "In Sheep's Clothing" by George K. Simon - it will help you to understand who you are dealing with.

My current manager cares only for his agenda. He is surprisingly young - younger than 30, but already earns band 9. He doesn't know the work the team is doing and never got any experience there. (How did he get hired?..) Guess - can he answer any technical question? Can he be of any help?

He plays the team like puppets or marionettes. He knows the weaknesses of each of us and plays them to achieve his own goals. He is very skillful at using people's ego and makes people compete with each other for his attention. It's not the real work he supports - it's long talks, self-inflated image, endless discussions - while the real work doesn't get done. Very subtly and surreptitiously, he plays favourites, undermines people's reputation and if needed he will try to make the employees fight.

He avoids making decisions (isn't it the manager's job?) or taking responsibility. The only thing he cares about is his face and what other important people think of him.

When I brought up serious issues to him, such as: data is not reconciled, inventory is not in order, customers' issues are not addressed in due time, he said: "I don't think it's important." He further questioned me what are the consequences if the data is not reconciled. Indeed, why do we need to reconcile it?

I have also heard that when Union approached a manager at call centre for the inappropriate behaviour with her employee, she upfront denied everything, said it was a miscommunication and got away with everything.

Advice to Management

Look at your actions and think: would you like to be treated the way you are treating your employees?
    Remember: today you are a manager, tomorrow everything can fall into pieces - even for you.
    Don't think that you are smarter and better than people below you. They have more decency than you not to use your dirty tricks. Is that how you got your managerial position? I am so proud of you, lol! Good job!
    At the end of the day, I prefer to sacrifice my career to keep my integrity - unfortunately, this is the case in your company at this time.
    Like a parasite, you will ruin something good that was created by somebody else - somebody better than you. Like a parasite, you cannot create, you can only destroy.
    My advice to you - wake up and look at what you have done!

"Senior Agent call center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancity (More than 10 years)

Pros

You meet some great people

Cons

There was alot of favoritism and staff that worked hard and followed the Vancity philosophy were over looked.

Advice to Management

Please allow the staff to do performance appraisal on their immediate supervisor and share with upper management. I was able to do that and voice my concerns and it made a big difference.

"Good Intentions"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

- no high pressure sales targets
    - invested in giving back to the community
    - great work/life balance
    - decent pay
    - overall good staff

Cons

- no clear path to promotion
    - no variable pay except for profit share

Advice to Management

Implement a career track for employees to follow. This will give us direction as to how to get promoted and will motivate us to achieve greater success. Right now the role feel like a dead end. No management positions, need to apply to analyst role to be considered into a Commercial AM role, no variable pay = no real incentive to smash sales targets, etc.

"Could still be great like the old times with some minor adjustments"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Some of the best reasons to working at Vancity is having extremely great co-workers. The most knowledgeable who work harder than their superior are still in their role when they're the ones who should be going up. Ask me why I wouldn't know. Favouritism may or may not play a role, discourage it.

Cons

Some of the downsides to working here is that movement is really slow. Looking for opportunities? Might have to look somewhere else. It seems as if everyone is running away faster than we can keep them.

Advice to Management

You've got great people working here, don't lose them. Pay, respect and a little appreciation goes a long way. Sincerely, the employee too scared to say anything.

Sep 5, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for sharing your insights. I agree we have really great people working at Vancity, and I recognize that it can be discouraging when great colleagues leave. We are focused on strengthening ways... More

"Nepotism & Favoritism over Merit"

I have been working at Vancity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Pay, benefits, co-workers, perks, and the individuals that actually want to improve and change for the better

Cons

DO NOT WORK HERE! Save yourself the wasted time, regret and delay in achieving your career goals. The promoting and hiring is not based on merit, you can see family members getting each other jobs, and then managers play favorites and vet even when more qualified apply. The bad reviews are accurate, and Vancity's complacent, uncaring response in each is exactly what you hear when trying to voice your concerns inside the belly of the beast. The upgrade was a mistake, done with good intentions but that favor back-end processing over user-friendliness for members and staff alike. Expect to be sabotaged instead of supported when your experience and skills could threaten any managerial position held by anyone without appropriate credentials or obvious performance issues. Hours may also be an issue depending on position and location. Issues of competency exist as many get positions they are not qualified for, while the best often give up, move on, or play their game. If you value merit and honesty over favoritism and duplicity, do not hurt your soul, health and mind by applying or working here, please take the extra time to find the place that will propel you to your best self, and if you are working here now reading this, other places want people like you, and can give you all you seek. Make a plan, or an exit strategy, do not show your cards, or it will backfire, just play them. Oh, and the values tooted about are not in practice, it is basically lip-service, especially with employees who lose all rights to be heard as not just valued employees, but members, without forms of retaliation. Shame! No credit or recognition of ideas, managers will take your ideas and use them as their own possibly even excluding you in the process so they can continue to advance themselves instead of advancing you.

Advice to Management

Vancity is good on paper, and wastes plenty of paper with excessive, unnecessary printouts for a place that prides itself on environmental values, all to keep the image that hides the very real problems that we can see now are coming out, if we google the credit union's fallen ranking and drop in assets also connected to that top-down decision in software change (other FIs have badly reviewed that software, and anyone who did their homework would've found a viable alternative). System issues, service limitations, accessibility to help based on current hours of op need improvement to keep up with other BC credit unions. A place that is member-based, democratic, and union, sure shows it is playing it's own agenda, with individuals protecting themselves and their roles instead of re-training and continuously learning to meet the challenges of needed improvement. Unbelievable!

Sep 5, 2017 – Manager

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I'll admit, your comments about Vancity being an uncaring environment is a difficult one to read, as the organization you describe is not one I recognize. But I... More

"A current perspective"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

As others have said, Vancity employs some of the best people. Everyday you will go to work with some of the most engaged, motivated, and brilliant people in the financial sector. They care about their work, their impact, and their legacy. However, these people all eventually burn out and move on to other places where their values and worth are going to be rewarded, because Vancity just isn't that place.

Cons

Glassdoor reviews are indicative of how many people at Vancity feels. For over a year between 2016 to 2017 a slew of honest and heartfelt reviews flooded the site. These reviews were often brutal in their assessments, and probably took courage for the employees to write. However, in the past month or so, there are suddenly multiple 5-star reviews with little content or message.

Here's what's wrong: Yes, we had a brutal launch of the new banking software. It was not well-planned, despite having close to a decade to do it. It cost a lot of money. We employed and fired a bunch of people. We promoted folks who in hindsight probably should've stayed as call centre agents or analysts. We spread ourselves thin across multiple markets that we have no experience in. Everyday we come up with new phrases or acronyms. Yes, all that happened. But now let's move on from that.

Has much changed in the past couple of months? No. What you have is a company in search of a new identity. The market conditions are changing, and so are people's habits and needs in financial institutions. This means that results are not coming through, and staff continues to see restructures and packages. We also still employ a number of consultants who are billing top rates everyday for barely any work.

I feel that people who speak the truth are getting frustrated that their words don't register. There are a ton of people who want Vancity to do better, to become engaged, but they're not getting the opportunity to do so for fear of retribution. That's wrong, isn't it?

Advice to Management

It's okay to admit that you've made mistakes. Now, let's try harder to engage the folks who have been so negative about progress here so that they can offer advice and motivate other disenfranchised employees to do better. Otherwise, we're going to be stuck in the same rut over and over.

Sep 15, 2017 – Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Couldn't agree more with your suggestion to move on from the negativity, to focus on engagement of our staff who, by and large, want better things for Vancity. We... More

"My review"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong work-life balance
    Excellent benefits and pension plan
    Gives back to the community and it's members

Cons

No real raises given, only a general wage increase which every employee receives. Does not matter what rating you receive in your performance review, all employees will receive the same "raise"

Advice to Management

Compensate staff based on performance

"Member services advisor"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Promotes from within
    Took some time to move up

Cons

Some days can get long bcz you'll be on the phone trying to go over the same thing over and and over again. Sometimes my boss gives me a break to leave early once in a while if I worked really hard.

Sep 6, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

Thanks for sharing! We're glad to hear you've moved up with Vancity and sincerely appreciate your hard work.

"Change change change"

I have been working at Vancity full-time

Pros

Advancement is a bonus
    Make good money
    Co-workers have been around for a while

Cons

Changed the system
    Separate divisions so some people can be condescending

Advice to Management

Need to help us deal with the change or at least keep us in the loop. It's happening too fast.

Sep 6, 2017 – Financial Service Representative

We hear you, and are working on getting the messages out as things are happening to keep you in the loop. Being more transparent is a goal we definitely share. Thanks for your input!