Vancouver Island University Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vancouver Island University President and Vice-Chancellor Ralph Nilson
Ralph Nilson

1. "A review"

Pros

Great place to work ok

Cons

None to mention 2 more words needed

Advice to Management

Eat more cheese

2. "Great Company"

I worked at Vancouver Island University part-time

Pros

This company provides very competitive compensation packages even for part time employees. Management accepts responsibility and ensures that everyone has up to date training and certificates.

Cons

I was only with the company for a short time so I do not have any cons

3. "Temporary Professor is a steep learning curve."

Former Employee - Seasonal Instructor in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Instructor in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancouver Island University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great to mold the minds of university students, and the fellow profs assisted as best they could to help advise. Department heads kept in touch.

Cons

Very limited structure and course layout was only partially predetermined. Limited budgets for supplies and equipment make it hard to teach anything truly interesting without risking one's own equipment.

Advice to Management

Art programs need more funding in order to explore modern design solutions. Also, if there was a better prep-period to outline how to be a successful sessional instructor a lot of the growth pains could be alleviated.

5. "Coordinator, International Recruitment Services"

Current Employee - Coordinator, International Marketing & Recruitment in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancouver Island University (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved this job and my role within the Faculty of International Education at VIU. There has been an influx of new staff during my 3.5 years, which has led to new ideas, processes and positive change. There is certainly a growing cohesiveness amongst the different areas of the international department (the international retreat that occurs every June has been particularly effective at improving inter-departmental relationships). Support from the international marketing team and senior management has been phenomenal throughout my time.

VIU's popularity and reputation as a desirable place of study is increasing rapidly all over the globe, and I don't see this abating any time soon. As a result of this burgeoning notoriety, I suspect the international department will continue to grow in size and scope.

In closing, I'll just add that the future looks bright for VIU. Keep up the great work!

(I'm writing this as a current employee but will be leaving my position in a week from now - I'd have remained in this position far longer if it weren't for the need to move in with my partner in Metro Vancouver).

Cons

Some kinks in IT need to be worked out, particularly in the Admissions area, but gaps have been identified and should be closed in the coming months.

Advice to Management

I applaud management for all their hard work and thank them for all their support.

6. "Peer Supported Learning Leader"

Former Employee - Peer Supported Learning Leader in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Peer Supported Learning Leader in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at Vancouver Island University (Less than a year)

Pros

Part-time work that applied what i knew, hard to ask for more. As a learning leader for one year, I matured by remaining rigorously organized to planning and hosting the sessions. . I felt like I was in a position to change peoples lives, so I went all out on the sessions. The students learned and formed bonds among one another. Me, the PSL Leader , was just proud of their performance.

Cons

The pressure and stress can be immense at certain times during the semester. Sometimes you want to give up. Don't be the PSL leader who misses a week because everyone is relying on you. You gotta have GUTS to get through it.

Advice to Management

Part of grades come down to advantages and disadvantages. There are too many old tests and quizzes swimming around that some students have access to and other don't. YOU GUYS SHOULD TEAM UP WITH THE MATH DEPARTMENT AND MAKE CALCULUS MANDATORY FOR BUSINESS STUDENTS.

7. "Security 1st aid & parking Officer"

Pros

Interesting job never boring enjoys student interactions keeps you physically active. Nice outdoor scenery . Enjoy quiet time of year when not in session but just enough to keep you busy

Cons

Low wage. Exessive responsibility. 3 jobs for price of one. First aid attendant and parking enforcement as well as full security. All on foot over 92 acres plus dorms. No vehicle accesx for 1st aid calls. Can be very exhausting.

Vancouver Island University Response

Feb 17, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition, Development and Retention Strategies

Every individual's experience is valid. However, it is important to note in this case that VIU's security and parking services are contracted out to an external provider.

8. "VIU a great place to work"

Pros

Values-based institution committed to its students and faculty, connected to its people and the community

Cons

Lower salaries than other universities, limited funding from government

Vancouver Island University Response

Mar 14, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition, Development and Retention Strategies

Thanks for sharing your feedback! I'm glad you feel that connection to people and community -- it's such an important part of what we do at VIU.

9. "Records Clerk"

Current Employee - Records Clerk in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Records Clerk in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

Pros

I started here right out of the ABT Program i took here. I love the people I work with, I love the location of the University, I love that employees can take courses for free. Many reason I love it here.

Cons

The stairs on some days are hard...

Mar 9, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition, Development and Retention Strategies

Glad to hear you are loving working at VIU and that your ABT program experience was so positive. We do have a built-in StairMaster with this hill, but it does make for some great views!

10. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

Pros

Gorgeous campus, wonderful colleagues and professional development opportunities.

Cons

Parking is expensive and lots can be full.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Mar 9, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition, Development and Retention Strategies

Thanks for the great feedback!

11. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Designation - ITIL Process Consultant in Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Vancouver Island University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive staff and friendly environment.

Cons

I have not found any cons yet :)

Mar 9, 2016 – Manager, Talent Acquisition, Development and Retention Strategies

Thanks for this positive review. I'm glad you are feeling so supported in your work -- it makes such a big difference.