Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Paul Nichols

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Quarterly bonuses (in addition to monthly ones if you're in collections) are nice (in 5 reviews)

• Gym and Cafeteria are both excellent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • A good ole boy and very passive agressive human resources department, reason for the HIGH turnover (in 4 reviews)

• s apparent in every single one of their upper management (in 3 reviews)

1. "Asset Manager"

Current Employee - Asset Manager in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Asset Manager in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vanderbilt is above and beyond what any person can expect. Vanderbilt is the finance division of Clayton Homes which is under the Berkshire Hathaway umbrella. I could not ask for a better company to work for, they appreciate their employees with above average compensation and benefits. Vanderbilt also presents plenty of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Absolutely none., extremely fair and honest in all aspects. Vanderbilt instills and informs an employee from day one what is expected and what can be obtained.

Advice to Management

Vanderbilt is ahead of the curve in terms of training and expectations. They have a firm grasp on what it is they're looking for and what they expect. I personally have no suggestions or concerns with their training techniques or methodology.

2. "Look somewhere else"

Pros

For full review see cons, it contains pros and cons.

Cons

I’ll warn you, this is a long review. But, if you’re thinking of working at Clayton corporate, specifically Vanderbilt Mortgage, I think you’ll find it a valuable read as you decide whether to pursue Clayton/Vanderbilt as an employer.

I worked there for over 5 years, as a team member and a manager, in several different departments with many different managers. I saw firsthand the good and the bad. I think it is worth saying here that Vanderbilt is very large. There are good managers, there are bad ones. They promote from within often, meaning they often promote great employees to management. But, unfortunately, just because you are a great employee doesn’t mean you’ll be a great manager. Then everyone suffers.

Some departments are managed incredibly well. Some are managed like the Wild West. No rules. And you better watch your back. The fact is this across the whole company: if you aren’t all-in at Clayton (read: if you aren’t drinking the kool-aid) you need to leave. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck in a lower level position or eventually be run off. Clayton and Vanderbilt expect you to drink the koolaid. It’s apparent in every single one of their upper management. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to enjoy your job and love the company, but don’t act like they can do no wrong.

This is important because it creates a good-ole boy environment. If you aren’t in the club, you’re out of luck. If they sense any unhappiness in you, you’re out of luck. They pride themselves on creating happy employees but won’t work with you to make you happy. In some departments, the management is so horrible, it’s almost unbelievable. Things that are so shockingly unethical. And if you go to HR? Forget about it. Nothing happens. Make no mistake, HR is there to protect the company, not you. Managers make friends with their employees, creating an environment of favoritism.

And then there’s the moral question of Vanderbilt. Should someone with a 500 credit score get a mortgage loan with a 9.99% interest rate? You are told to sell people on a mortgage loan on a $40,000 mobile home that will cost them $120,000 over 23 years. And the worst part? In 23 years, the home will be worth $10,000. There’s immense pressure to get people to complete loan applications and sell them on these horrible loans. For their part, however, Vanderbilt does keep things legal. They have an incredible legal team and they always do well on government audits.

There’s more I could say. More specifics into my experience, but I don’t want to get too personal. At the end of the day, Vanderbilt suffers from many of the same things that most other corporations suffer from. But, there’s enough risk for you and flaws in some management that would make me advise you to stay away. And I know you can find a place that pays better anyways.

3. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Maryville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean building and good software use

Cons

Traumatic experience for those who do not attend church regularly, are not caucasian, and don't own a gun.

Advice to Management

The unethical and scandalous business practices that take place there are protected under Berkshire Hathaway; however, you will be brought to justice someday.

4. "So so"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Maryville, TN

I worked at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Okay starting position after high school or college.

Cons

Very stressful, and micromanagement. No real career growth. Very much on the buddy system.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about making sure employees are so tightly held to your schedule. Give a little more leeway, and maybe your employees will be happier

"Intentions Only Representative"

Current Employee - Intentions Only Representative in Maryville, TN
    Current Employee - Intentions Only Representative in Maryville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work environment. On site facilities are superb. Improving management development.

Cons

Income has decreased overall in the past few years. Inability to ache I overly aggressive goals can be demoralizing. Those entering leadership can be somewhat immature and under educated.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate goal system. Consider a pre-leadership program to assist with first-time leaders.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time

Pros

Management cares about customers and employees.

Cons

I have to go home each night.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Mortgage Loan Originator - Finance Mobile Homes"

I have been working at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time

Pros

Most of the direct supervisors are good to work for.

Cons

Senior management is greedy and uninvolved.

8. "Internal Promotion"

I worked at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time

Pros

Quarterly teamshare, amazing gym, cafe, etc. Depending on your department, opportunity to travel.

Cons

Good ol' boy upper management. Lots of opportunities for advancement, but even with promotions they always seem to find a way to pay you less. Annual raises get messed up if u promote.

9. "Accounts collection manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager and Collection in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager and Collection in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly people and supervisors, everyone works as a team

Cons

No overtime pay, work as needed

Advice to Management

Cont to be nice and fair to your employees

10. "Account representative"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Vanderbilt Mortgage And Finance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People are friendly. Office is very nice.

Cons

Hiring practices: For someone who double majored in business fields and had multiple finance internships in college to start out as an account rep with co workers with no finance background and or no college degree make ZERO since.