KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Teamwork Environment

May 28, 2022 - Physical Therapist Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most employees stay because of the variety of patients we get to see in home care coming from a trauma center. They take most all insurance and provide visits to underinsured and not insured just to be certain patients are getting the care they need and deserve. Management is overall wonderful. Helpful and encouraging.

Cons

As with all healthcare jobs currently, the expectations of productivity can be a lot but not as demanding as some other places I have worked.

2. 5.0

A good place to work

Aug 6, 2022 - Registered Nurse
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, support for continuing education, input via shared governance

Cons

Nashville cost of living is increasing, parking is expensive.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

No administrative support, horrible pay, looks good on resume

Jul 7, 2022 - Registered Nurse, BSN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vanderbilt is well known for being a fantastic hospital. With so many specialties and worst of the worst cases, there is a wide range of information and experience to be gained by working here. Also with the prestige, it looks great on a resume.

Cons

With seeing the kind of patients Vanderbilt sees, a nurse in the SICU (for instance) has a tremendous amount of responsibility compared to most hospital ICUs or any nursing position, really. With the responsibility and no support from administration (I am sure you have heard about the nurse sentenced for the murder of a patient after administering the wrong medication), it causes extreme stress and constant fear that if any mistake is made, they will be the first to throw you to the wolves. They are so worried about their reputation and their doctors, they will make the nurses fall on every sword possible before they admit they are wrong. It is a toxic work environment and I am so relieved I got out and found that most hospitals actually respect and cherish their nurses.

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

For now, it's a decent place to work

Aug 1, 2022 - Associate IT Business Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

They provide fantastic benefits and the ability to work from home.

Cons

This company has wandered too far into the political arena. Now that they have made "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" part of their core strategy, and are compensating employees for out-of-state-travel for elective abortions. It is not a welcome place for anyone whose beliefs lie outside of Progressive Orthodoxy. They are also known for paying their employees less than competing institutions, but their provided benefits make it competitive.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Used to be a great place to have a long term career

Aug 8, 2022 - Senior Graphic Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Academic institution, supporting student and wonderful research

Cons

Often with upward mobility you can work yourself out of a job

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

I love my job, my coworkers, and the company culture

Aug 9, 2022 - Associate Program Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I am encouraged to take time off. Management is supportive and understanding. I am not overworked or micromanaged. I get to work from home

Cons

Underpaid, no paid holidays you must use your PTO instead

7. 4.0

A great learning experience

Jun 3, 2022 - Vascular Interventional Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vanderbilt was never short on PPE throughout covid. Most everyone is very nice and willing to teach and my department is great about approving and working around PTO.

Cons

Vanderbilt has always been very low paying. They stay one step below the competition and with the cost of living in the city I don't see how travelers will ever leave. My rent has doubled in the last three years and my pay has not. Its a good place to go for a year or two and then move on due to low pay and high cost of living.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

They don't pay near enough to live and work in Nashville.

Jul 29, 2022 - Budget Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pros are great medical care (if you stay in-house).

Cons

Senior Management is out of touch with the costs of living today and the morale of staff. Doctors face almost no resistance or disciplinary action here. They can abuse anyone under them and say anything they want. It's a bit demeaning at times.

9. 5.0

Culture, Culture, Culture

Aug 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I came here and have decided to stay here solely for the culture.

Cons

I don't have an cons at this time

10. 5.0

I love working at VUMC

Aug 3, 2022 - Recruiter in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teamwork leadership; Diverse and Inclusive workplace

Cons

no cons in my work place

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,780 Reviews

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Reviews FAQs

Vanderbilt University Medical Center has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 1,870 reviews left anonymously by employees. 72% of employees would recommend working at Vanderbilt University Medical Center to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Vanderbilt University Medical Center employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.