KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Engaged Employer

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Add a Review

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Employee Reviews about "pay"

Updated Sep 23, 2022

Healthcare

8h

a

Registered Nurse

I’ve been working as an RN for ~2.5yrs now with experience in AcuteTele & CVICU. I’m doing my MSN Administration right now. Threw my hat in randomly for a nurse manager position and got called in for an interview but now feeling very nervous as I prep for it. I know I don’t have enough experience compared to some of the other applicants but any word of advice from fellow RNs & nurse managers on how to make myself seem like a better candidate? I want to try my hardest!

3 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vanderbilt University Medical Center and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great place to work

Mar 10, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

We're our own insurance group, so the medical insurance both cheap and comprehensive. 401K matching up to 5% (don't know if new employees still get this). After five years employment, you can get college money for up to four children up to 70-100% of current VU tuition - don't know if this still the case since VUMC and VU divorced legally last year. Vanderbilt gives a ton of tuition reimbursement yearly to nurses. Self scheduling is fantastic. Two week paid parental leave is immediate in order to pay until short term disability kicks in at 2 weeks. LOTS of options for short term insurance, long term insurance, dependent care accounts as part of open enrollment. Lovely grounds and working environment if at Vandy campus location as opposed to 100 Oaks or a satellite office. Second largest employer behind Fedex in Memphis, 25K employees. Our own police force - VUPD readily available. Great healthy food options, also cafeteria/chinese food/grill/baja fresh/au bon pain/taco bell & subway accessible in Children's Hospital next door.

Cons

Increased nurse:pt in 2013, management not always great, crazy traffic on campus at typical 9a/5p. Traffic starts at 3:30p and ends around 6p. Grandfathered employees have much better perks. Since the 2012 cuts to large medical centers by Congress, employees lost vacation time, no more sick time and vacation - all just PTO bank now. Cuts to nursing tuition reimbursement made it that you had to work three years there before eligibility for reimbursement and max Vandy contribution total is capped at 25K. Morale has fallen significantly after a series of cuts to benefits. Great nurses were fired - for minimal infractions - as casualties of a workforce reduction. Many employees left voluntarily leaving the med center with critical shortages (up to 40 nurses needed across the hospital at night without any nurses available). 10K signing bonuses were offered for new employees while current employees went without pay raise that year. The culture of excellence became a culture of fear and bitterness as our workload increased by >40% on my unit.They eventually gave us some staff members back because after 80% of the staff left they realized the original workforce reduction was too much. But by the damage was done. Nursing care quality has decreased.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

A great learning experience

Jun 3, 2022 - Vascular Interventional Technologist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vanderbilt was never short on PPE throughout covid. Most everyone is very nice and willing to teach and my department is great about approving and working around PTO.

Cons

Vanderbilt has always been very low paying. They stay one step below the competition and with the cost of living in the city I don't see how travelers will ever leave. My rent has doubled in the last three years and my pay has not. Its a good place to go for a year or two and then move on due to low pay and high cost of living.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Care Partner

Jul 16, 2020 - Care Partner in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

This job has helped me develop better interpersonal skills and has helped make my adaptability more well-rounded.

Cons

The pay is very low for the workload and the price of living in this area.

4. 3.0
    Former Employee

fair

Jan 14, 2021 - Patient Access Representative in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

benefits started at hire date

Cons

parking ( had to pay for as an employee) and PTO (holidays were not paid)

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Clinical Recruiter for VUMC

May 1, 2015 - Talent Acquisition Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Educational Assistance. Vanderbilt helps pay for some certifications. High turnover in some departments can lead to advancement opportunities for others. Health benefits are decent but they could be better for spouses. Most Vanderbilt employees are friendly.

Cons

Leadership can be inexperienced. Pay is meager and education is not taken into account. Pay increases are non existent. Performance Management works off of IOU's and 'Atta Boy's' since there are no pay increases. Work - Life balance is not what it should be. PTO is being cut subsequent years in a row.

1 person found this review helpful

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Response

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinions. VUMC aims to offer competitive pay and benefits while considering the best interests of a very large and diverse employee population. VUMC, like other academic medical centers, has been adapting to economic changes resulting from the federal and state decisions reducing how much hospitals are compensated for care. There have been difficult choices to make in order to balance the needs of our patients, employees and the organization. When adjustments to benefits have been made, leaders and support teams have worked very hard to ensure the best outcome for employees, such as offering the option to carry forward accumulated leave time or cash it out when VUMC transitioned to a new FlexPTO program last year. VUMC also introduced a new goal setting and performance evaluation process and tool this year designed to align employees’ individual goals to institutional priorities, with the intent to foster greater satisfaction. We hope these things, as well as other initiatives leaders and managers have recently introduced, will create further improvement in the areas you’ve mentioned.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Feb 4, 2016 - Data Management Specialist in Clarksville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Vanderbilt was great at training me for the job I was going to be in. I worked with some great people as well. I also had an amazing manager who saw my potential and granted me a promotion fairly quickly. Plenty of room to grow when working for Vanderbilt.

Cons

Having to pay to park was the biggest con. The pay is not that great either for the workload as well as my Bachelor's degree I had.

7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I work at vanderbilt as a nurse for over 3 years

May 29, 2014 - Nurse in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Looks good on a resume(for now)

Cons

Never get a pay raise, keep cutting benefits and staff. They expect us to work understaffed. High turnover rate due to all of this and instead of rehirin the position they just delete the position. Low morale don't even get a mug for nurses day. Sorry company to work for. Very disappointed. And now they just told us again they arre going to be cutting our pay and benefits again. OMG they already don't pay us for holidays we have to use our own time which they have drastically cut and are doing it again.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Vandy

Dec 29, 2017 - Patient Access in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay and hours very friendly

Cons

Limited over time and high call volume

9. 2.0