Vanguard Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert O'Connell

1. "Copy editor/copy writer"

Current Employee - Associate Copy Editor/Copy Writer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Copy Editor/Copy Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Vanguard Direct (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees--from the mail room all the way up to the CEO's office--are committed to and enthusiastic about working here.

Cons

Not many down sides; perhaps the scope of work and clients that they are involved with could be expanded.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Admin"

Current Employee - New York in New York, NY
    Current Employee - New York in New York, NY

Pros

- Good people
    - Interesting clients

Cons

- Long hours
    - Work is boring
    - lack of diversity

3. "Great place to intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Providence, RI

I worked at Vanguard Direct (Less than a year)

Pros

- hands on experience
    - work with various departments
    - nice culture and atmosphere to work in
    - accessible upper management

Cons

- not the greatest location in terms of food

Advice to Management

- keep doing what you are doing

4. "Great company, excellent culture"

Former Employee - Account Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Vanguard Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and culture here are fantastic, you are made to feel like family and that can endear you to the company and it's mission very closely.

Cons

Though the experience that I had here was very positive and a great part of my career, I sometimes got the sense that upward mobility can be difficult and that moving to another organization would be a much quicker route to do so.

Advice to Management

Listen more closely to non-senior level employees

"A great place to work if you just like to work"

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Vanguard Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll be very happy at Vanguard as long as you work fast with minimal supervision, and complete every assignment on time and within budget. Slackers and prima donnas do not last long here. But once management trusts you, they are very good about getting out of your way and just letting you do your job however you see fit.

Cons

Expect a steady stream of team-building initiatives and make-work projects that suck up a lot of energy and rarely amount to much.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. "Great Place to start."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vanguard Direct full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to start and learn. Offers many opportunities to grow and to explore different career paths.

Cons

It is a small company that is growing this can lead to some growing pains.

7. "Managers are not checked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

One of the few places that hire, only because the salaries are so low they can afford to hire. They won't lay you off in bad times, which is great. However, if you do get fired, you are out the same day.

Cons

If you are not a male forget about getting any senior positions. The men are given more frequent promotions and there is 99% males in Senior Management. Shame on me for being there for over 8 years. I have never received one promotion even though I bring in more money then the males in my department (who have been given several promotions) and been here in less time. As for the women in charge, they are very threatened by other women, even to the point of being out right rude to their juniors (of course).

Advice to Management

Please have a serious and TRULY confidential review of your managers. Encourage your employees to let you know how your supervisors and managers are performing. Do they promote productivity, career growth, and accountability? Are THEY team players? Managers here take credit when things go right but are the first to point fingers and report you when things go wrong. Managers need to be re-trained! They are very old school and run their departments like factories.

8. "My Review!!!"

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

Pros

I work with great, talented people in an incredibly proficient and tech-savvy Art Department. I am also blessed with polite and understanding clients. In fact, I find all facets of my job to be very enriching.

Cons

Noisome refrigerator in the kitchen. No pool table. Other than that, everything is gravy.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have more print advertising on the creative side.

"The place you want to be!"

Current Employee - Account Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Representative in New York, NY

Pros

The number one factor in employment satisfaction is the employees happiness in their current career. This is why Vanguard Direct is one of the best places to work! All the people are extremely friendly, knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Employees are praised when they do a great job, and told when they make mistakes. The company has double digit growth, and is very promising for young individuals that want to associate themselves with a company that is focused on bettering their staff through on-the-job education, and at the same time growing their sales year to year.

Cons

The only downside I could find about working here is that the younger generation that wants to go to work and just sit there and do nothing and get paid for it, is not going to find an environment that will allow that!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, and keep growing. Find out who the people are in the company that don't represent Vanguard's mission and get rid of them.

"Work here if you want to be bored for the rest of your career."

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

Pros

9 to 5 kind of place, great if you have a family and want a steady paycheck. People are respectful and friendly, except for one manager who think he can threaten you and raise his voice at you.

Cons

The pay is below industry standards, not a competative environment, everyone is complaced. They just do enough for there job not more. Some hirees do not have a college degree. There are some super stars in this company that hogs up all the good work and support staff are not given opportunities to branch out into other responsibiliities or advancement.

Advice to Management

Please pay a competative salary or at least industry standards. Listen to our actual career needs and follow up with our requests. Have more women and diversity in upper management.