Cover image for Vanguard Events

36% Recommend to a Friend
71% Approve of CEO

Found 25 of over 26 reviews

2.8
Vanguard Events President  Meg Rankin (no image)
Meg Rankin

Advertising

257.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - /Community/advertising

Got a burning question about Vanguard Events? Just ask!

On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Vanguard Events employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "The people there are nice(in 3 reviews)
Cons
    There are no cons to display at this time.
      Oct 14, 2016
      Former Employee, less than 1 year
      Business Outlook

Pros

I learned so much in my short time at Vanguard Events Inc. Their entry level position is challenging and is not for anyone who is not willing to give 100%. Their leadership team is focused on growing new leaders from entry level and giving support to everyone at the office. I received advice and support regarding everything from my feet hurting after a long day to conquering my fears about networking to gaining self confidence after some past hardships. I gained skills that help me make the most of every work day and every situation. I am a more confident person and feel that any future success I have will be in part thanks to Meg, Mel, Azul and the other leaders that set an example as strong, independent and driven women.

Cons

Long hours and a steep learning curve make this job difficult for anyone who is not prepared. If you put in the time you can learn the information in the time you are given. I do recommend self care and making sure you are prepared every day.

Oct 12, 2016
        Business Outlook

Pros

In my opinion, one of the biggest pros of working with Vanguard Events is how it is truly a team environment. Everyone there is there to help you grow. They go out of their way to help one another hit their personal and professional goals. They host super fun team nights and accept everyone as part of the team from day one. Meg holds high standards to keep the office a positive and professional environment. The morning atmosphere is fun and inspiring. From day one they give you all the tools you need to succeed in this business, all you have to do is show up and work hard and you will succeed.

Cons

This completely depends on your outlook. If you're willing to put in hard work to see results then this is the opportunity for you. If not then I would look elsewhere because this is definitely the type of business where what you put in is what you get out, and I see that as less of a con and more of a positive.

2. Join the Vanguard Events team
        See Our Latest Jobs
          Mar 17, 2016
          Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere with very little turnover. The company only hires a couple people at a time and each one of those people get the same training as everyone else. The orientation process was very thorough, I was given a list of everything I would be taught in the first four weeks. The training managers are all very nice and welcoming and I like the team nights and volunteering they do outside of the office. I really how fast people grow in this company. I've only been in the company for four weeks and I've already seen three people promoted.

Cons

There are longer hours than most people are used to, they do staff events until 7pm however, no one works more than 40 hours a week. If someone wants over time they are paid time and a half.

Mar 16, 2016
            Current Employee, more than 1 year
            Business Outlook

Pros

This company provides hands on training for leadership and management roles. I'm not too sure how many of you have ever been in those type of roles, but anywhere else it would take at least a year to two years to get those roles at any other company and that is WITHOUT the training. Not only to you get to see what you'll be doing before you even start, but we have a THREE ROUND interview process where growth, scheduling, PAY, and the business model are all discussed. So to the people writing on here that they were "duped" or "tricked" into a pyramid scheme i'm not sure how well that excuse worked for you after going through all three rounds of the interview process and getting a full understand from the owner herself and someone that works here about what we do. The atmosphere is positive uplifting and FUN! We have faith in our people and hope that they would trust and understand that they are not here to be told what to do, but to learn and grow from what training and skillsets we help them with. There is a lot of false hope on these reviews because these people didn't trust the process and obviously weren't willing to learn. Our team members know what they are here for and are motivated to achieve they success they know that they can reach with our help.

Cons

If you have questions about us and want to learn more and ACCURATE information on our training program and what we do please feel free to see first hand on our website and facebook page. You can also give our office a call and we would be more than glad to answer any of your questions. Reviews are simply peoples opinions about our company and those cost not a thing to have so it shows you just how "Valuable" all of these negative reviews are. In addition to the fact that none of the people that posted those reviews worked here longer then a couple of weeks and obviously didn't have what it takes to be successful in this business! If you are an employee or have an employee mindset feel free NOT to apply. We only want leaders and future business partners.

Aug 27, 2015
              Recruiter
              Business Outlook

Pros

Enigmatic and great motivating company. Owner is really receptive to employees. Coworkers are really personable and like a family.

Cons

not too many to name.

Aug 7, 2015
                Former Employee, less than 1 year
                Chapel Hill, NC
                Business Outlook

Pros

amazing place for young individuals to learn valuable skills and achieve career goals fast

Cons

long working hours including weekends

Apr 26, 2015
                  Business Outlook

Pros

i can truly say this is a fast growing business. because of that Vanguard is not looking for people who want to do the bare minimum. they are looking for entrepreneurs. Meg, the owner, is looking for future business partners. with that said i feel the biggest pro is the growth they offer. you earn everything in the business and the harder you work the faster you grow. It truly is simple. it is impossible to "stay stagnant" because there is no room for people to not put in the work when it comes to running a business. Meg has built an amazing community around her business and in all anyone that joins can agree you learn a ton of knowledge that is applicable in any career.

Cons

the business is not for everyone. if your looking for a desk job that is 9-5, this is not the career for you. It is a management program in less than a year! there is blood sweat and tears...aka hard work. think about it, the owner of a business does everything from training and interviewing to inventory counts and meetings. Personally, i got exactly what i signed up for! Which was to prepare myself on how to run my own business with the company. So people that are curious to see what it takes to run a business then i recommend to check it out. I would say its a true representation of showing the process of what it takes to run a successful event.

Jan 14, 2015
                    Business Outlook

Pros

The best part about working about Vanguard Events is the solid relationships I have built with my coworkers and my boss. Though everyone is driven, we are not in competition with one another. Everybody wants everyone else to succeed, and that is not something you find in a company. It also feels like a crash course in business school--I've learned more in a month here than I have in four years at a top-twenty school.

Cons

This job takes a lot of dedication. For some, this makes the job difficult--but for the ambitious, the intensity is appropriate for the opportunity.

1. 4.0
                      Jan 15, 2016
                      Business Outlook

Pros

The business model to this company is simple and smart. Read some other comments about growth not being specific. The way I see it is people stay in positions for a long time in Corporate America. I've known friends and family members who are still in their same position and it's been literally over 10 years for my aunt. If someone gets motivated by the business, loves marketing and people, and is willing to invest a lot of time into there career none of the positions will take over a year. The entire growth is under a year "typically." Now i say typically cause some people will taker shorter or longer (me for instance took longer) yet a year of experience to me was worth it than spending 5 years waiting as an employee for my next promotion in my past job. Now what is this "growth?" Anyone who has interviewed knows it is self explanatory. Vanguard is growing nationally; long story short, they need managers for the offices they are looking to open. They don't hire outside managers who don't know anything about marketing but they hire people who have been managers and those managers are willing to learn Vanguards marketing and business from the ground up. Literally though...from the ground up....it feels like watching an episode of undercover boss except you are the undercover boss and the work is not the most glamorous...and instead of 3 days you do it for 9 months. Now during this time people are excelling rapidly and sometimes what took me 3 months it took others 4 weeks. They also look for interns who are passionate about marketing and experienced individuals who are looking to advance their skills for business and marketing. Main objective? Meg opening more offices (independent corporate distributors) when her people are qualified to manage/oversea more than 3 events. That way her and her company continue to grow and her partners make more money as well.

Cons

Overall I see why they have high standards in the people they hire. I also see why people don't see this opportunity for them. It requires time and lot's of hard work. It is not a 9-5 and you are not going to find anyone sitting down besides the administrator. It is also work that many people are not willing to do. For example, most people are use to sitting at a desk for 7 hours but not necessarily accomplishing anything that will make their feet hurt, or sweat, or experiencing hearing the word no all day (I use to transcribe so I am well aware). Anyone who has owned a business or has been an assistant manager or an entrepreneur or started a non-profit knows and understands it takes A LOT of work to start up! On top of that comes all the responsibility and troubleshooting...Run away now if you are currently looking for a 9-5 or looking for a boss. I'm serious. Meg may legally be a boss and hiring manager but she is also a business partner and 'future' business partner to many. She expects everyone to treat her business in this way. She does not tell people what to do she will expect people to step up and treat her office like it will be theirs when they own their business. If you don't mind hard work in direct marketing for a year, have strong goals for your future, and want to learn a new company and business model, and a year later having management experience or owning an office very similar to Meg's then that's great. If not, I'm glad you read this review.

1. 3.0
                        Dec 5, 2016
                        Former Employee
                        Business Outlook

Pros

Nice employees, meet a lot of new people, hard work pays off.

Cons

No weekends, not a typical 9-5, hard to earn promotion.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Vanguard Events Reviews FAQs

Vanguard Events has an overall rating of 2.8 out of 5, based on over 26 reviews left anonymously by employees. 36% of employees would recommend working at Vanguard Events to a friend and 41% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Vanguard Events employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Vanguard Events. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

36% of Vanguard Events employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Vanguard Events 2.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.4 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Vanguard Events to be senior leadership, management, career development and the cons to be work life balance, benefits, compensation.

Want the inside scoop on your own company?

Join your Company Bowl™ for anonymous work chats.

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

IT Specialist

Passed 2 interviews with a board of Education , waiting for HR to communicate but I don’t know how long it takes to wait and when I should give up and move on?? It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve done the 2 nd interview.

1 Comment

CSM

Hi any one works as solutions engineer I got this task to do and would like to know if it’s correct what I’ve done please. Thanks a lot

0 Comments

Digital Strategy Consultant

Is it bad interview etiquette to ask about salary expectations WHEN the recruiter fails to bring that up in our screener? I did it so we could ensure alignment and the recruiter said she ‘usually waits to do that after the first call’ 🙄

3 Comments

Glassdoor has 26 Vanguard Events reviews submitted anonymously by Vanguard Events employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Vanguard Events is right for you.