Vanguard Healthcare Services Reviews | Glassdoor

William D. Orand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "General Accountant"

Current Employee - General Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good management team; will learn a lot from them

Cons

competitive industry where many require on compliances

"The reason the long term care/nursing home industry is feared and loathed."

Former Employee - Nursing Home Administrator
    Former Employee - Nursing Home Administrator

I worked at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a challenge to find a pro, especially with a 20 word minimum. I will agree, Vanguard pays its Administrators well. Though my floor staff was paid well under market value when I first started, I was able to garner corporate support for a wage increase--- with the understanding said increase was "on my shoulders," and to make up for the added costs I would have to increase census and reduce costs (which is not necessarily unreasonable).

Cons

Name a potential con, and I'll provide 10 examples of it in action within the company.
    1- No training on systems, IT, or company operations upon hire. "Here's your email address and computer credentials to log on."
    2- "Leadership" is not leadership at Vanguard. I'd hesitate to label it even management. Tyrannical management, where threats are used as a means to influence decisions... oftentimes decisions that make you question your own sanity, and regular attempts to make you bend your own moral and ethical standards of conduct.
    3- "Steal from the rich to give to the poor." Instead of purchasing, for example, TVs for elders rooms without, they'll have you move them from another Resident's room when they aren't in it. Granted, these TVs were Vanguard-purchased TVs, for this example, but it serves as reasoning for the prolific perception the eldercare industry is corrupt.
    4- Upper "Leadership" (those corporate folks): Ah, where to start. It all begins at the top, and trickles downstream. When you have feces upstream, it will naturally float downstream. When the answer to failures from corporate systems or initiatives is to fire those outside the corporate Death Star Shell, what you end up with is a company with a revolving door of employment. If a facility is struggling with census or clinical outcomes, rather than working to develop Administrator or Director of Nursing skill sets, training them to be better leaders and working to increase their abilities through education/training sessions/webinars/learning opportunities, Vanguard executives prefer to terminate employment. The irony is when they wonder why they can't find stability, or why buildings are shut down by CMS- if Administrators and DONs are not given ample opportunity to fully analyze a facility and it's opportunities for improvement or areas of weakness or potential safety issues, how can they possibly deliver positive change? Think, people, leadership isn't about increasing turnover. Leadership is helping others achieve their maximum potential.

Advice to Management

See all the above statements, and, for a change, invest more than just a good starting salary in your leadership at the facility level. If you plan to bring new corporate executives on board, invest the time in seeking those with potential- maybe even those with some background experience in the industry!! I know that's a pretty crazy concept, but I've seen it work before.
    Turnover does not equal success, nor is it an answer or solution to remedy all problems. Turnover is a sign of a company's death. There comes a moment in every company's timeline when it must concede and sell/close its doors and allow another group to deliver its services, or embrace the challenging business environment healthcare breeds, and strategically position itself as a change leader. Though I believe Vanguard has already missed their chance to improve and find success, at the very LEAST, take care of the facilities you have and the elders within. The only way you can take care of the sick, the frail, the elderly, and those that simply cannot care for themselves is by choosing effective, caring, ethical, and compassionate leaders, leaders whom will develop the teams with which they work. If there are issues within a facility, look not only within the facility itself, but also at the influence of the managers outside facility-level sphere.
    Lastly, knee-jerk reactions are rarely, if ever, effective in today's business climate. This fact stands true not only in the healthcare industry, but in the entire business world of today. Every action will have an equally damaging reaction. When you bring misery to the lives of others- and I refer to the elders of which your stated mission claim you care, as WELL as the management and line staff of the facilities you own- it will come back to bite you in the end. Always take into account the fact people will openly explain, discuss, and report a poor experience with less hesitation and greater motivation than they will a good experience. Look at all the reviews you have on this site alone, and then look internally and decide if you are in the right industry, or if the time has come to pass the baton to another group who sincerely cares about the population it serves.

3. "General Accountant"

Current Employee - General Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services (More than a year)

Pros

good salary, good incentive policy

Cons

it's hard to get growth

"Very hostile work environment, corporate first people last"

Pros

Some good people in the trenches. They try to do a good job in a difficult environment.

Cons

DON office has a revolving door on most facilities in my area. Loyalty to corporation valued above commitment to patients. No recognition and criticism is often public. No discussion of how you are doing or how to improve your performance. Hard to meet expectations when you don't know what they are. Management often talks about how shiftless and ignorant the staff are among themselves.

Advice to Management

Recognize that good care with good employees will build a solid reputation. All the management changes at the local level and attempts to publicize the facilities don't matter if you can't keep good people because you treat them badly and keep them guessing.

5. "Vendor- Wheelchair service provider"

Former Employee - Wheelchair Transport Provider in Kinston, NC
    Former Employee - Wheelchair Transport Provider in Kinston, NC

Pros

The company had good loyal people and vendors who really wanted to help them succeed in NC.

Cons

Vanguard stuck a small Christian family business for nearly 40k in NC named H2GO, LLC. They got paid, and took the money and ran, leaving us in an incredible hardship.

Advice to Management

Read the Bible and pay your debts!!

6. "Sketchy Business Practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

Payrole check arrived regularly in the bank. Direct patient care staff were incredibly dedicated in the face of horrible leadership.

Cons

Doing the right thing, in the right way, for the right reason, even when no one is looking- NOT GONNA HAPPEN! This company has a problem at the top and everybody working there knows it, except the owner. Leadership is so egotistical that they allow middle managers to operate without any checks or balances, often to the detriment of the companies reputation and public status; as long as those managers bow down and exhaust the all knowing leaders.
    The middle manager who visited our facility routinely pulled people to the side and encouraged the forming of coalitions to oust those with whom she had a vendetta. She would purposely ignore problems in the facility, so that instead of being a problem solver, she could say, "look at this big mess that they made." This middle manager of whom I speak is totally ineffective in her role and should not be allowed in the facility because she is unable to be objective. Terminated people without going through the proper channels, and enevitably had to bring them back on staff.
    It's like trying to work while a professional, manipulative predator is circling.

Advice to Management

There are some really good people working at the facility level. Some people are hurting your business. When all else fails get rid of- Notify Official Right Away.

7. "Pass on any jobs."

Pros

They have promise, but can't deliver. Should not be in LTC.

Cons

Would not recommend working for them.

8. "Overall Good Company"

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented company, flexible. Overall good company.

Cons

Should promote within more. Alot of things to work through once they are worked out things will get better.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the people you have within your company more

9. "The Makings of A Solid Company"

Former Employee - Administrtaor
    Former Employee - Administrtaor

I worked at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair Compensation, On-Boarding and Recruitment, Resident Focused, Decentralized Management Structure

Cons

Grew Too Quickly, Centralized Admissions, Passive Aggressive in Market Growth, Money Not Placed Back Into Facilities

Advice to Management

This Company had the recipe for success but due to rapid growth the company could not absorb everything at once

10. "Review from someone who has been here a long time..."

I have been working at Vanguard Healthcare Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Vanguard is great at presenting opportunities to shine. You are never locked into a box where you only do these five tasks and cannot stretch your legs or try something new. I believe everyone has real opportunity here and I have seen it first hand, holding several positions myself. If you like to work hard, this is the right place for you.

Cons

I would have to say that my biggest peeve is that the 401k match is lacking. With that being said, i've accumulated 10's of thousands using it.

Advice to Management

I believe Vanguard now has the right team in place to get things on track, and can continue to flourish and grow.