Vanguard Investments Australia Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Colin Kelton

1. "What's all the fuss?"

Pros

Low stress, career development, lots and lots of opportunity to learn and increase your investment knowledge. Nice people. Fun people.

Cons

Career development is in the employee hands. You must be a self-starter at Vanguard to advance. The pay is low when you're on the phones; but improves when you advance off the phones and into higher level investment positions.

Advice to Management

Get to know your crew.

2. "A great organization, thanks for thinking of the client"

Current Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Vanguard Investments Australia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great purpose and they want to do the right thing. Working for a global company has lots of benefits. Very long term in thinking.

Cons

Only 300 crew so promotions can take longer than a big bank but far less politics. Lots of change as they go global, so lots of early. Calls.

Advice to Management

Don't let poor performers get away with not performing

3. "Good Place to Gain Experience"

Current Employee - Paraplanner With CFP in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Paraplanner With CFP in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Good Place to Work. You won't get rich there, but great 9-5.Excellent benefits!! Very fair organization. Client tend to really like Vanguard.

Cons

Only 3 offices nationwide.Charlotte is the smallest office. Not much advancement if you're not willing to go to PA or AZ offices.

Advice to Management

Develop more programs to increase one's earning potential.Everyone is on salary. They need to develop a solid,lucrative bonus plan for employees.

5. "A satisfactory place to work"

Pros

Great work-life balance, employees treated with respect, outstanding benefit packages available to employees. Overall, a great place to work if you want to live a decent life and have a family.

Cons

The money that could be made at a financial firm in NY is just not the same. This is a company for people that are satisfied with a slightly above-average lifestyle, nothing more than that.

Advice to Management

Overall, keep doing what they are doing as managers. Management here cares very much about the people that they have in their departments, and are always willing to help accommodate an employee's needs.

6. "Vanguard"

Pros

Opportunity to move around company. Decent benefits. Onsite conveniences. Company has never laid off. Keeps investors in mind all the time.

Cons

Compensation program changed this year so that next year we'll potentially earn less. Long time employees not recognized the same for years of service. College new hires arriving at a very high salary compared to long times. Boys club.

Advice to Management

Assess employees on all skills, not just technical. Rudeness abounds in employee to employee contact - yet these crew are recognized as more effective although they lack half the skills as others. The ability of higher ups to communicate and treat crew fairly is a huge opportunity area. Your employees are not leaving to pursue school. They're leaving for other jobs.

7. "Vanguard is a fair and highly ethical company to work for"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Vanguard has a unique culture of loyalty to clients and employees. It is a very conservative company and well run. Vanguard is known for low expenses to help their clients keep more of their investment returns. I can attest to that philosophy - We truly watch every penny. In fact, you will never see an employee of our firm riding first class on an airplane. It is always coach for us. By being conservative, I don't think we ever laid off any of our employees. Despite the turmoil on Wall Street, we were not really impacted except for some belt-tightening.

Cons

Vanguard offers stable employment, but you will definately not get rich working there. No huge bonuses and our salaries are somewhat below industry average. While the benefits are still reasonable, they are not as good as they used to be.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the loyalty of your clients and employees.

8. "Not for Everyone, but Great for Me"

Pros

Fair treatment of employees, reasonable policies, strong commitment to ethics, commitment to development and training, keeping costs low helps save jobs during times of economic disturbance, commitment to diversity, decent benefits, very friendly people (almost too nice!), free graduate degrees, team-oriented environment, complaints are taken seriously, strong customer focus, doing the right thing is always rewarded, I am always proud to say I work at Vanguard

Cons

The pay isn't spectacular. If money is your primary motivator, it might not be the place for you. Vanguard is a "pay for performance" company, so there are good raises and bonuses to be had, but you'll have to work your tail off for them. If you're OK with a decent salary, challenging work, opportunities for unlimited lateral transfers, a free MBA/CFP/CFA, and a comfortable, friendly work environment, and you're willing to trade that for the fast-track to promotions and six figures, it's a great place.
    The "nice" culture does let lower performers slide for a while, and that gets annoying. There is a lot of bureaucracy and levels of approval for seemingly trivial things. Dress code is outdated.

Advice to Management

Overall, management is doing a great job. Trust your employees and managers more. We know what we're doing, and we work here because we're ethical. If we were greedy crooks, we'd work somewhere else that paid more.

9. "Great place to start a career, but..."

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Stable company with a good reputation in the industry. Benefits start from day one including 401k.

Cons

Very low pay. Not a great place to start a mid-career change. Employees very young and seem to be favored over older employees. Very mundane phone job. I would think this would be a decent job for someone in the twilight of their career that just needs the benefits and (low) pay. Seems like a good place to jump start a career and build a resume.

Advice to Management

Think about getting rid of some of the overlapping staff. Most of us are just sitting around browsing the web.

10. "good company to work for"

Current Employee - Investment Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are just starting out and want to work your way up.
    If you have the initiative and are willing to relocate, you can eventually do well though the salaries are low.

Cons

Low pay.
    somewhat redundant work
    no opportunity for performance based bonus or commissions.

Advice to Management

Give employees more financial incentives to do well and to stay with the company.

11. "Good start - advancement muddled by incompetent management."

Pros

Vanguard is secure, easy, stress free, and pays fairly.

Cons

Once you hit a ceiling you can only advance into management which is a maze of beauracracy. Filled with favoritism.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Figure out what people want, and your not fooling anyone when you say "this is what you said you wanted", when trying to position a new idea.