Vanguard Reviews in Malvern, PA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
Cons
  • Also there is a high turnover rate because it is more of a call center position once you get through training (in 127 reviews)

• Pay is lower then the average but it is a trade off for the work life/balance (in 46 reviews)

1. "Great job/ career!"

Current Employee - Design Strategist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Design Strategist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, very strong mission and values, bonuses, meritocracy, great people.

Cons

Speed of decision making, some pockets of ineffective management

Advice to Management

Let the leaders lead

2. "Great place to start"

Current Contractor - Talent Management in Malvern, PA
    Current Contractor - Talent Management in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

So far as a contractor it has been wonderful. I am treated like a crew member and everyone is so welcoming. There is a ton of room to move up and also become a crew member within a year.. most people start out on a phone role or a contractor in a better position and then get promoted!

Cons

No cons so far really

"Good for a resume builder"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company, excellent job security, good retirement plan benefits. Good resume builder. Company offers decent perks like on campus gym membership.

Cons

Vanguard is a giant cube farm at it's best. They are so high on themselves they can't see outside their own Vanguard bubble. Wages are pitifully below market averages. The company is riddled with middle management that for the most part add zero value to their departments but rather only care about pushing the Vanguard Kool Aid in the interest of self promotion. Age discrimination and reverse race discrimination is painfully obvious. I have seen first hand very qualified white men later in the careers continue to get passed over for promotions in favor of young minorities or young females that possess half the talent and experience. They preach "equality" in the workplace but do not practice it. And no, I am not one of those that got passed over nor am I an older white man. In fact I got promoted twice in a relatively short period of time at vanguard. However, the overall experience was lousy. They really do not care about the employees but rather they are more concerned about their image as a corporate do gooder. I would never recommend working at this company other than entry level to gain some industry work experience.

Advice to Management

Trim some of the management fat and pay your other employees better. Take more feedback from your crew who are on the front lines. Promote employees based on merit, not age, race or gender.

"Great Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Started entry level and was able to quickly work my way up the corporate ladder. Love the opportunity to work in a number of different groups/departments. The company is so big that you can have completely different careers at Vanguard-if you decide to switch from finance to marketing to client facing, you can make it happen. LOTS of benefits, I definitely get more paid time off then any of my friends at other companies, tuition assistance is incredibly helpful (no student loans needed for grad school!), many professional development programs, strong collaborative culture and Vanguard University is an on site training facility that anyone can leverage. They also have several on site gyms and a health center which are really convenient.

Cons

Salary's are a bit lower but it's worth it to have the benefits and supportive management teams. The entry level positions are phone rep roles and not very exciting - but that is common for many entry level jobs anywhere. It's a good way to get a foot in the door and then move to another role within the company.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the Vanguard culture, it's one of the best things about the company. Continue to encourage the acceptance of working remotely. Increase tuition assistance if possible.

"Good with flaws"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k
    PTO
    Flexible
    Health insurance
    Chance to be promoted is higher than most companies (still not saying much)
    Friendly co-workers

Cons

Yearly raise based on performance is what they want you to believe but it's not true.
    Need to be friends with managers to move up.
    Unorganized.
    Reactive and not proactive to issues or tasks

Advice to Management

LISTEN, BE PROACTIVE, BE AWARE

"It is a cult"

Former Employee - Video Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Video Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people, good benefits. Just be be careful how many bosses you have. It gets crazy. They rotate constantly. Some are good, some have no clue.

Cons

It is a cult. Nearly forced to donate time and money or be shunned. Low pay and they cut partnetship to nothing and after 15 years walked me off the property for complaining about a review that was unjust. Going to all contractors.

Advice to Management

Take care of your tenured people, they are your assets. You have many people in wrong positions. A masters degree means nothing if you have no street sense.

"Make Vanguard Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jack Bogle's great work-ethic still permeates Vanguard (Lower costs!, Stay the Course!). The focus is on doing what is best for the investor. I work in IT. We say all the time "Secure the Vanguard", protecting the Vanguard investor and Vanguard's reputation is job one! My favorite *Pros* are the generous mid-year bonus known as "Partnership", an amount equaling 10% of your salary contributed to your retirement plan, and support in getting certifications such as CISSP. I love Bill McNabb as CEO. Bill McNabb shares so much of Jack Bogle's and Jack Brennan's ethic while still being his own guy. Google for some podcast interviews that Bill McNabb has given, you will see what I mean.

Cons

Vanguard does allow working remotely but most teams are limited to one day a week with a very few teams having two days a week as the standard. I would love to see a culture of "Work from Anywhere" with two or more days the expectation not the exception. It does seem to be true that the folks that make the best power point presentations are favored for leadership promotions versus those who really seem to understand emergent technologies. I know many "Dennis B." caliber technologists just waiting for their chance to shine.

Advice to Management

Please encourage more "Work from Anywhere". Promote into tech leadership roles (not necessarily people leadership roles) more of your IT people who really understand emergent technologies.

8. "Account Transition Specialist"

Former Employee - Account Transition Specialist in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Transition Specialist in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    You can go up to anyone in the company and they willing to help you with any questions. Very easy to network
    Great training for Series certifications

Cons

Pay is lower then the average but it is a trade off for the work life/balance
    Training is way to long for NON-certification topics. Way to much time on friendly games and presentations on financial products

"Poor Experience"

Current Employee - Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good 401k plan, ok pay, paid time off, benefits. However, these benefits have gotten progressively worse since I started at the company. One pro that keeps getting repeated is the mission, but keep in mind that the low cost for clients comes out of the lower level workers' salaries. Management still gets bonuses in the millions of dollars.

Cons

Very few career opportunities that aren't a variation on the same entry-level phone job. Management likes to claim that's career pathing, but its pretty apparently that there is little room for growth outside of call center jobs.

Advice to Management

Listen to your crew, come up with better opportunities, fire low performers - they exist at all levels but there's plenty hiding in management.

10. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Business Technology Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Business Technology Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

Work life balance is decent with occasional busy periods, good benefits, good people.

Cons

Pay typically lower than similar companies in similar positions, upper management can be clubby, internal hiring process takes a long time.

Showing 483 of 1,731 reviews