Vanguard Reviews in Malvern, PA | Glassdoor

Vanguard Malvern Reviews

Updated October 12, 2017

Malvern, PA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance, excellent benefits (in 314 reviews)

• Vanguard is a great company to work for and they offer great benefits (in 205 reviews)

Cons
  • Also there is a high turnover rate because it is more of a call center position once you get through training (in 132 reviews)

• Pay is lower then the average but it is a trade off for the work life/balance (in 47 reviews)

"Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good place to launch your career, work-life balance

Cons

not a forefront in technology

2. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement and development

Cons

The company is very large

Advice to Management

Continue to develop young employees

"All around great employer"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great work-life balance.
    -Good amount of PTO (vacation time).
    -37.5 hour work week.
    -Affordable benefits (medical, prescription, dental, vision).
    -Really nice people.
    -Big company, so many various job opportunities.
    -Cafeterias, gym, wellness center all on-site.

Cons

Most entry level is in call center environment, which isn't ideal. However, most people, including myself, were able to move out to something new within 1-2 years.

Advice to Management

Mostly all management I had was great, but I know it wasn't that way for everyone. Best advice to call center supervisors is to remember that your employees are people, not machines that take phone calls.

"Service recovery"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It was a first rate company. Client focus and employee focus, wanting the best for all.

Cons

In the later years the company cared less about the employees and the service suffered because of it. Vanguard can't keep up with the demands of clients and seems like they don't really care. Management seems to promote inexperienced people who don't know how to manage. Inept people in management positions who don't have that real care about clients.

Advice to Management

You've never listen to the people who have gotten you to where you are. It seems it's just a matter of time. Clients all say that you've grown too big for your pants.

"Company with Admirable Mission"

Current Employee - Organizational Effectiveness Consultant in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Organizational Effectiveness Consultant in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vanguard has an amazing structure and organization that allows it to provide more value for its customers and its competitors. It is an honor to be apart of an organization that has helped shaped the industry as a whole.

Cons

The organization could be more nimble.

Advice to Management

Reward failure to increase crew risk taking and innovation.

6. "Marketing Manager"

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability, company culture, and Career developmental opportunities

Cons

Low pay and beaurocracy

"Review"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company's legacy and value

Cons

Experimentation with newer technology is better now than earlier but still not at its best

"Works for me, may not work for others"

Current Employee - Resource Planning Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Resource Planning Analyst in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Real commitment to work-life balance (generous PTO, flexible schedules even for hourly employees, multiple gyms on-site, on-site medical clinic, etc.); management dedicated to moving employees along in their career

Cons

Employees sacrifice salary in exchange for better benefits which may not work for younger employees; some employees find the culture "cheesy" or "childish"

"Good company, employment security, but pay will be frustrating."

Current Employee - Communication Consultant in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Communication Consultant in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Complete benefits package and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Conservative company and pays below national average wages for most positions.

Advice to Management

Raise the pay scale across the board. 3% should not be target for annual merit increases.

"Loved this company!"

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

First, if you are going to work in the financial industry, you'll be hard pressed to find another firm with such high ethical standards of putting investors first. Couple this with the industry's best mutual funds, and you have a company you can feel very proud to represent to clients. There is nothing worse, in my opinion, than selling something you don't personally believe in.

I worked for the company for 10 years. I spent my tenure primarily on the phones, which included the standard entry level call center job, relationship management with a dedicated book of business, collaboration with Financial Advisors, and an internal hotline helping other employees navigate challenging client issues. I left the company for health reasons and to pursue a possible entrepreneurial opportunity in a different industry.

I was always happy with the pay and would not have considered going to a competitor for more pay. My attitude was that if I wanted more pay, I'd work to get promoted. There were also opportunities for overtime during tax season. The health insurance was top notch. They have a generous 401k matching program. As my tenure grew the bonus program became more desirable. I was always very excited for the partnership bonus! This company is the least likely to lay off during a financial downturn. In 2008, I not only retained my job, but I had a small pay increase when they updated the structure of the partnership bonus. Many other financial firms underwent massive layoffs. By the end of my tenure I had more available PTO than I knew what to do with, especially if I "purchased" an extra week of PTO.

There were always opportunities to learn new things. In fact, it was impossible to not learn if you were doing your job well. The financial industry and its regulations are always changing. The company was always providing new information to the phone crew so we could stay up to date and respond to clients on the phone appropriately. Of course the internal hotline where I worked was another great resource.

I felt that this job not only gave me the financial stability I wanted, but also helped me grow as a person. For any role I had, I always had a one on one meeting with my supervisor so that i could know where I stood with performance, which was very important to me. This was a time when I could also share my accomplishments, which had a strong influence on my performance review. It was usually pretty clear what the expectations were so I would come prepared with examples of how I excelled in specific areas, which made it easy for management to give me a good review. I was never the best with metrics but I was great with call quality and relating to clients. If my handle time was high one month, I was sure to share client stories that justified those numbers. I received a spot bonus for going above and beyond in helping an elderly couple with a complex task. The husband was blind and the wife had short term memory loss. I gave them special attention and extra time because it was the right thing to do even though it hurt my handle time. My supervisors always wanted me to succeed and would help me if I wanted to pursue a role in a different department. I also had supervisors who challenged me in area I would not have otherwise easily considered.

This company is very inclusive. There are internal diversity groups that support LGBT, Hispanics, Black people, military veterans and others. There are many people of faith. A crew member tried to start a company-sponsored diversity group for people of faith. She got pretty far but ultimately failed. My opinion from personally interacting with her is that she allowed her ego to get in the way, and inadvertently sabotaged her own progress. In the meantime, there is a non-company sponsored Christian based group. I also worked with people of many other faiths and backgrounds. There is no tolerance for discrimination.

There were ample opportunities to get involved in activities that promote diversity, improve work culture, or benefit the community. These projects are a great way to learn new skills, gain leadership experience and stand out amongst your peers.

Cons

Sometimes I had supervisors with whom I felt conflicted. These were the hardest times for me but this can happen anywhere. The good part was that there were always changes. Either the supervisor would move on, or there would be an reorganization of the department. There were also channels to discuss concerns and opportunities to post for other jobs within the company.

Over the past year or so was the most difficult time to join the company as a new phone rep, so know that it will be extremely hard work. I would just push through it. The company has been transitioning the accounts to a new, very different platform. So new crew need to learn both the old and new platforms. If that wasn't enough, the financial industry has to comply with the new money market regulations. This adds even more complexity to all that newcomers need to learn. Those who are not already licensed must go through the grueling process of obtaining the Series 7 license (which vanguard pays you to do nothing but prep for a period of time and provides tutoring). It is a 4-6 hour exam and was one of the worst experiences of my life! I failed it the first time and had to retake it. Last year was especially tough for newbies because they hit the floor during a time of especially high call volume which usually doesn't happen. Be prepared to work really hard and smart. When others are complaining, be the one planning your next move to get promoted.

You need to be comfortable and skilled in dealing with people and handling people who are upset sometimes. I always kept my composure, treated them with kindness and tried to see their perspective. By the end of the call, the angry person who yelled at me often apologized. If you get easily annoyed by people or expect clients to act the way you want, then this is not the job for you. Vanguard, however does not tolerate abusive treatment so if a client crosses a line, management will stand behind you. Though rare, I've seen clients get banned from calling. Most of the clients I spoke to love Vanguard and were pleasant or at least reasonable on the phone.

Any call center job is going to have metrics and is going to feel like your time is micro-managed. It can get to you at times. You typically get an hour lunch and 30 minutes to use as you wish, as long as it is not during peak times. If volumes are very heavy, the Conn may ask people to volunteer to take a shorter lunch. During tax season there are often mandatory 30 minute lunches. The department tries to make up for that as best they can by providing lunch and other incentives.

Advice to Management

Make adjustments to training and onboarding to account for the increase in complexity of the retail phone role. I started as a contractor during tax season and was initially skilled on basic calls only. This made my transition as a permanent crew member very effective. My first supervisor was amazed at how well I did. If it's not possible to take a more gradual approach with phone skills, at least amp up training.

Focus more resources into change management.

Sometimes the older aged crew perceive that they are not as valued. They could benefit from a diversity group so they can see they have a positive place in the environment. I've seen older crew complain because they couldn't keep doing things the same way in the changing environment. Yet I've seen others thrive. Many of the investors demand an older financial planner because they equate age with expertise!

Showing 510 of 1,842 reviews