Vanguard Reviews in Malvern, PA | Glassdoor

Vanguard Malvern Reviews

Updated March 25, 2017

Malvern, PA

Pros
  • Great work life balance, good prospects for those that are identified as high achievers (in 283 reviews)

• Vanguard is a great company to work for and they offer great benefits (in 183 reviews)

Cons
  • Also there is a high turnover rate because it is more of a call center position once you get through training (in 122 reviews)

• Work life balance is great but more flexibility is needed in some of the departments" (in 45 reviews)

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

- Work-life balance (however, there are pockets where this is ignored).
    - Ability to move around to different positions

Cons

- Extremely political
    - Tremendous amount of change constantly
    - Low compensation compared to industry
    - The company loses good talent and managers due to internal issues and greater external opportunity

Advice to Management

Listen to your crew

2. "Would Recommend. Have Room to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, salary, training, care about the people, large spend on technology, growth. Fantastic business model

Cons

Stuffy and they lack the flexibility with working from home. Work from home can be done, but they make a big deal about it when needed on a regular basis. Raises are low.

Advice to Management

Look at other financial companies that are ahead of us and learn. BlackRock, Goldman Sachs and others do better in the problem areas

"Business Systems Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vanguard has a reputation for integrity and being client-focused. Many honest, hardworking employees with a "Can do" attitude. The company gives back to the communities in which it is located.

Cons

Rate of change is stressful. It is a large international company trying to compete with smaller more agile companies.

"Great to work for......in the beginning."

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefit plans. PTO is very nice. Building & campus is beautiful.

Cons

Don't plan on any promotions if you're not one of the 'GOOD OLE BOYS'. You will be overworked and one of the best workers on your team, then the time comes for yearly reviews.......and you will be told that you didn't "HIT YOUR NUMBERS' for the year and you will not get an increase. I was employed for over 11 years with the last 4 years with no merit increase. But this seems to be the norm unless you are upper management.

Advice to Management

Promotions need to be based on seniority and ability and not how good you can suck up to management. Also, older more seasoned employees are basically sent out to pasture while the newer less experienced get promoted and move on to management.

"Good not Great"

Former Employee - Advice in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Advice in Malvern, PA

Pros

-PTO and the people you work with. I actually enjoyed my time in Advice (PAS).
    -Management is having an off-site this year to discuss problems so they know there is something to fix.
    -Pay if you're in Retail. Come on you're changing addresses and quoting stuff not curing cancer. The job isn't hard it is just monotonous. If you're in a special position jumping ship looks pretty good. Other companies will pay you more.

Cons

First off this isn't a negative review its just observations of my time at Vanguard.
    1) Talent is over-looked : Some of the smartest people working at Vanguard are often the most over-looked. I was not nearly as great at my job as some of the people who were on my team. The difference was that management liked me, my metrics were good, and I had a great boss who always made the effort to recommend me to other departments.
    2) Metrics over potential: I left the "Retail" side and moved to advice hoping that the grass would be greener and we would focus on the client relationship and quality more so than metrics. It lasted for a while but PAS was just another department that had its culture thrashed by the metric police.
    3) VADP: Enough said. Some are good and some are bad. Most of them don't nearly have the life experience or knowledge base to be respected by other VG employees. Before I left it was at the point that the program had become a running joke for most employees at the expense of the new-blood right out of college.
    4) Management: The underlying issue. Your life at VG depends on you quality of manager. There are amazing ones at VG that are some of the best I experienced in my working life. The ones that are toxic bring down morale and increase turn-over.
    5) Crew's View's: Good idea poor execution. Another running joke at VG. The idea is that you can, in a way, "rate" Vanguard. The problem is the worse your team rates VG the more work that is created for your team. You have to develop action items to solve problems that can only be solved at higher levels. Empowering crew to make changes is a GREAT idea, but when they cant make changes to anything that matters the process has become useless.
    6)AUX Codes: If you're in retail your life is a call center now. You live for trying to fool the "Conn" to simply go to the bathroom. In tax season you get a 30 min break and 30 min lunches. If the bathroom is closed on the floor you are on you just wasted precious seconds of your break trying to make sure nature doesn't call you at your desk.

Advice to Management

Frederick Winslow Taylor wrote Scientific Management in 1911. With it he started a revolution of metrics and assembly line thinking that hadn't existed before. He also thought pretty low of the average worker and treated them like cattle. Long story short you're using management styles developed by a steel-worker in 1911. Hardly innovative as a company. You're going to lose out on quality workers to companies that are adapting to the times and to those companies that don't manage their employees like an industrial worker from the early 20th century. Go back to caring about the client. Guess what? You're massive as far as investment companies go. Now go back to client-focused work.
    2)Close Vanguard briefly. Sounds radical but what happens every time we close down a fund? People want in it. Get a handle on the massive influx of money and outflow of employees (Schwab, learnvest, financial engines, USAA, etc.) and advertise it as "it's exclusive to do business with such a low cost company." All i'm saying is get a handle on the mess you have... because the mess is huge but it can be fixed.

7. "At least they're not evil"

Current Employee - Associate in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Associate in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

Prescription & Medical Benefits, Work-Life Flexibility, Paid Time Off, Annual Partnership bonus

Cons

I will add this later.

"Vanguard has been a great place to work. Locally they are one of the biggest employers in the area."

Current Employee - IT Lead Tester in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - IT Lead Tester in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large organization, plenty of opportunities to learn and network throughout the divisions.

Cons

Sometimes lagging in the newer technologies, due to the large "Legacy " infrastructure.

"Client Relationship Admin"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Administrator in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great training opportunities, great people to work with on a peer level. Majority of crew take their responsibilities seriously.

Cons

Lack of diversity, internal communication could be improved to be more trusting, company expansion starting to make me feel like a just number.

Advice to Management

In my particular department, I'd advise management to actually set an example. Simply saying hello, please, and thanks in addition to being approachable versus ignoring others in passing or displaying general looks of disgust or pitting people against each other.

"Good company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

Pros

They are low cost and they care about the client and the employee or crew member.

Cons

Looking to just higher young professionals with a degree.

11. "Salary Could be Better"

Current Employee - Education Savings Specialist in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Education Savings Specialist in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good amount of PTO days for entry level, health care, holidays, 37.5 hour work week, and nice campus.

Cons

Low entry level salary for an investment company.

Advice to Management

Higher salary, especially for a company that values ethics

Showing 472 of 1,666 reviews