Vanguard Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Great work life balance, good prospects for those that are identified as high achievers (in 286 reviews)

• Vanguard is a great company to work for and they offer great benefits (in 187 reviews)

Cons
  • Also there is a high turnover rate because it is more of a call center position once you get through training (in 124 reviews)

• Work life balance is great but more flexibility is needed in some of the departments" (in 45 reviews)

"Make Vanguard Your Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jack Bogle's great work-ethic still permeates Vanguard (Lower costs!, Stay the Course!). The focus is on doing what is best for the investor. I work in IT. We say all the time "Secure the Vanguard", protecting the Vanguard investor and Vanguard's reputation is job one! My favorite *Pros* are the generous mid-year bonus known as "Partnership", an amount equaling 10% of your salary contributed to your retirement plan, and support in getting certifications such as CISSP. I love Bill McNabb as CEO. Bill McNabb shares so much of Jack Bogle's and Jack Brennan's ethic while still being his own guy. Google for some podcast interviews that Bill McNabb has given, you will see what I mean.

Cons

Vanguard does allow working remotely but most teams are limited to one day a week with a very few teams having two days a week as the standard. I would love to see a culture of "Work from Anywhere" with two or more days the expectation not the exception. It does seem to be true that the folks that make the best power point presentations are favored for leadership promotions versus those who really seem to understand emergent technologies. I know many "Dennis B." caliber technologists just waiting for their chance to shine.

Advice to Management

Please encourage more "Work from Anywhere". Promote into tech leadership roles (not necessarily people leadership roles) more of your IT people who really understand emergent technologies.

2. "Account Transition Specialist"

Former Employee - Account Transition Specialist in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Transition Specialist in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    You can go up to anyone in the company and they willing to help you with any questions. Very easy to network
    Great training for Series certifications

Cons

Pay is lower then the average but it is a trade off for the work life/balance
    Training is way to long for NON-certification topics. Way to much time on friendly games and presentations on financial products

3. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Business Technology Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Business Technology Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

Work life balance is decent with occasional busy periods, good benefits, good people.

Cons

Pay typically lower than similar companies in similar positions, upper management can be clubby, internal hiring process takes a long time.

5. "Fantastic company to work for, Vanguard is built on high integrity, strong moral values and always puts the client first"

Current Employee - Manager in Tredyffrin, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Tredyffrin, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training that they provide to each employee is fantastic. The core purpose and mission is always at the forefront of all decision making.

Cons

In honesty I don't have any, but I'm looking to relocate and Vanguard does not have an office in Nashville.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I feel that by focusing on paying for performance like you are will ensure the crew are engaged and retained.

6. "The good outweighs the bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission-driven company. Employees are committed to the vision. Vanguard leadership recognizes that there is room for improvement, and they're working on it.

Cons

Consensus-driven, hierarchical decision making means things move slowly. Path to "Principal" is not clear, and leadership leaves it that way purposefully. Compensation is based upon industry "average" for that position.

Advice to Management

Average salaries means you get average talent coming in, and average performance while here.

"A unique, mission driven company that puts investors first."

Former Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission and structure has driven recent unprecedented growth. Good pay, good benefits (excellent 401), and good work life balance. They hire from within so there's opportunity to advance and move between divisions. Wake up everyday knowing you work for the good guys who unequivocally exist to generate wealth for their mutual fund/etf shareholders.

Cons

Senior leadership has been slow to embrace the reality that engaged employees with good leaders drive long term success. Too many leaders are robotic and lack empathy/compassion and self awareness. There has been improvements since boomers began to retire (may not be correlated). They seem committed now to being a great place to work but one can tell there is still some internal struggle and too many leftovers from a bygone error. Also there hasn't been enough investment in technology. The answer was to add headcount. People got stuck in jobs they didn't like for too long and they didn't have the talent to advance.

"client service administrator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the benefits package is excellent

Cons

they pretty much only promote home grown staff. Coming in from another company is a definite anchor.

Advice to Management

Look at EVERYONE for promotions, ot just the kool aid drinking homers

"Would Not Recommend"

Current Employee - Corrective Coding/Account Corrections -Title IS Processing in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance, open to moving to other areas within the company

Cons

Treated like a number. Performance measures are to be 100% perfect all the time, at a inhuman rate. Cannot clock in and out 1 minute off (literally). No job flexibility. Strict hours. No overtime. Minimal pay. $36K per year starting pay- 200% below poverty level for a family of 3 with 1 income. Constantly berated. Unrealistic expectations. The company is more concerned with how much you "process" than the participants they serve. People have literally said that and it was agreed that was best practice. I was literally told I care too much when I have a positive people first attitude. Once we were told when are busy we can't get breakfast down the hall. We are not allowed to talk. No sunlight. Constantly told to work faster and "produce more", even when 100% green across the board. This is a financial factory- do not work here.

Advice to Management

Departments should not be required to give data metrics based upon "productivity". It causes people to do sloppy work to show they're fast (or close items out when they should be open-further delaying participant needs). Promote a client and participant first attitude instead. It is a culture of uncaring except for making oneself "look good" for numbers. We are treated like numbers and discouraged from caring about participants, clients, good quality work or supporting peers (or making lasting developments). Instead we are told to work as fast as we can and not look up from our screens and that the above is discouraged. I am disappointed with the lack of core values. Softphone is unnessary and between that and data metrics causes incredible stress & anxiety (car accidents on the way to work, heart attacks, unhealthy behaviors). The 100% perfect mentality is inhumane. Save on wellness by encouraging a healthy work environment instead of a high pressure factory of production with little emphasis on caring, helping (actually discouraged), and pay that we can support our families on. Most people have two jobs and Master's Degrees and barely can afford basic needs.

"Client Relationship Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Devon, PA
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Devon, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

120 PTO hours starting day 1. Tuition reimbursement if approved. Health benefits is not bad. Can't say it is best I ever had, but it's good enough.

Cons

You should undergo through a every month evaluation. It is very annoying to have your performance reviews every single month. If you will be a slightly below required stats, you will be dead locked in your position until fired. They are not giving a chance to try yourself in other department where you can potentially be able to utilize your skills at best. Beware to enter into a wrong position. This can be a dead trap. Same about their every position and department.

Advice to Management

Do not stress your employees with this monthly performance reviews.

"Sales Admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a lot of great people and learned a lot about the financial industry. It was my first job out of school and Vanguard was a great launching pad into the corporate world. I worked there for three years and had so many opportunities that expanded my career there. Very stable job and people want you to do well there. It's easy to move to different departments if you network and stay in touch with your coworkers. Great place to build your brand and one of the very few financial institutions that truly cares about helping people.

Cons

You have to pay your dues. Mobility is based on time in job. Most starting positions (Client Service, Inside Sales) you don't have a lot of flexibility with your hours (clock in clock out).

Advice to Management

Keep mentoring. It was very helpful to me when I was there. I wish I appreciated it more because I didn't realize at the time that not many companies cater to the little people.

Showing 598 of 1,697 reviews