Vanguard Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Vanguard Phoenix Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Phoenix, AZ Area

Pros
Cons
  • Also there is a high turnover rate because it is more of a call center position once you get through training (in 124 reviews)

• Pay is lower then the average but it is a trade off for the work life/balance (in 46 reviews)

"Retail "Bond Desk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vacation. Standard large corporate benefits.

Cons

Where to start. The Bond Desk title is only a title. The reality is those poor associates are being asked to take every type of call imagined. And that ever so grey area of rating a call by supervisors is used to give poor reviews-run the older more costly associates with tenure-right out the door. It is truly legalized harassment. When you look at these poor reviews take them seriously-it's not a bunch of disgruntled former employees. I got to "retire" the culture is toxic and I would've never said that 10 years ago.

Advice to Management

Nothing-it's a 2 trillion dollar company-they'll do what they wanna do knowing call centers are the modern day factories. They'll always have bodies from benefits alone.

"Great Employer to start a career"

Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Friendly Enviroment, great benefits, profit sharing plan, bonus and okay pay.

Cons

Once your in the company its hard to grow and salary increase is only 7%.

Advice to Management

Provide better salary and promotions

"I am not Vanguard! I'm a person, a client, a husband, a father."

Former Employee - Senior Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Client Relationship Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vanguard was a good company to work for under Bogle and Brennan but McNabb $ucks!

Cons

Vanguard is a "see no evil and hear no evil" type of company.

Advice to Management

My advice to the board is to fire all senior managers immediately - including McNabb for "raping" and abusing the crew.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Assigned Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assigned Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people. The best thing about my job is all of my coworkers. Other than that the job is miserable and unrewarding.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Look at any other financial firm and they will pay you at LEAST 10K more. That's before all the benefits. Vanguard tries to say their "total compensation", which means base pay, benefits, partnership, etc is on pace with what other companies offer. It's not.

Vanguard is growing by leaps and bounds. There are literally so many inbound request to move money in that they can't keep up. Clients are starting to realize that they don't have their stuff together. Hold times are on average at least 20 minutes to get a client to any other department. Especially the good for nothing "transfer department".

I work as an assigned representative for high net worth clients, clients with $1 million or more in Vanguard assets. When I started in this role a mere two years ago it was amazing. At that time it was a salary role, bonus eligible and all about managing the client relationship with Vanguard. About three months into this role EVERYTHING changed. We are now required to do outbound sales calls with NO additional compensation. Management says a lot of bs, that these aren't sales calls but they are. I don't know why else you would call clients to pursue them to sign up for the managed advice service?! At the same time they made this an hourly role, no longer bonus eligible and now due to our volumes and all the smart people who have left this company the rest of us who are still here are "forced" into working overtime. I am now required to help out with the queue. That was not in the original job description but now on top of managing a book of clients and making stupid outcalls, we have to "help the business" and take queue calls 2-3 days a week which takes up a huge chunk of time. The 37.5 hour work weeks is something that no longer exists. I can't get away with working less than 45 hours a week on average.

PTO. Yes they give you a decent amount and you can buy more which is great. However can you get time off when you want/need it? No. Especially in the high volume time now you have 0 shot. Forget it all your PTO will be rejected and you'll be forced to use what they call Unscheduled PTO. If you get too many of those get ready for a write up. This used to only be a problem in tax season however there has been steady ridiculous volumes for the past 8 months now with no end in sight.

It is near IMPOSSIBLE to move up in this company if you didn't come in as a VADP (Vanguard Advanced Development Program) crew member. Those crew members are fresh out of college with little to no experience and they become the future leaders of Vanguard. Probably why this company has become so messed up. Not to mention why even move up? When they changed my role to hourly they also implemented to change that any promotions are only a 7% raise. Great. Idea.

Advice to Management

TREAT YOUR CREW MEMBERS BETTER! You wonder why the attrition has increased so much and you say you're making changes for us but you're not. Take advice from the front line crew instead of the Executives sitting in the ivory tower who have no idea what's going on.

"Company currently has extraordinary High turnover due to its lack of compensation."

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High chance that you'll never be laid off and PTO.

Cons

Focus on additional expenses benefits without the benefit of any additional salary.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the additional benefits like adoption days off and focus on retaining the employees by having a competitive salary.

"Supervisor (12 Years Service)"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company truly tries to provide great work life balance and encourages employees to invest in themselves through licensing, education, and certifications. Benefits are some of the best you will find in the industry

Cons

The Pay. 12 years of positive performance reviews and 5 promotions has yielded a base pay of just over 62k. They dangle the carrot of partnership (profit sharing) and bonus in front of you to justify that you are fairly compensated. The partnership reward has been over 12k the past several years while bonus has been in the 5-6k range. Pay increases have simply not held up with outside competitors even though the message is that they are reviewed on a yearly basis through an outside firm. This also is during times of record growth in the industry which has seen Vanguard become the largest mutual fund company in the world.

Advice to Management

Quit telling your management that you are getting killed on glassdoor.com and encouraging them to go on and give positive reviews.

8. "Great company which puts clients, crew, and community first."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People who work there. Best in class benefits, facilities, and partnership bonus.

Cons

Work processes are cumbersome and departments don't resolve problems quick enough.

Advice to Management

Hire more authentic leaders. I have had good bosses in 14 years, but only two standout above the rest.

9. "Brokerage Investment Professional"

Former Employee - Brokerage Investment Professional in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Brokerage Investment Professional in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most crew members were competent and enthusiastic. Good benefits, good work life balance.

Cons

Metrics are something will be part of job. Understanding and maintaining accepted standards that frequently change.

Advice to Management

Take more of an interest in individual goals and aspirations rather than focusing soley on your metrics.

"Meh"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good and you will likely work with great people. Rapidly growing company with a lot of new jobs opening all the time.

Cons

Call center work. Job expectations about what you will be doing are misleading. Pay is low. Company says they care a lot more about employees than they do.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the job.

"Headed for the iceberg"

Former Employee - Investment Professional in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Investment Professional in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance
    PTO (because you NEED it)
    Vanguard looks great on your resume!
    Great place to spend 1-2 years in order to get a job somewhere that will pay you.

The only way I would EVER recommend this company to a friend is if they NEED a job and are determined to break into this industry. I would still recommend trying others first tho.

Cons

Pay.

You need to be spending 20% of your time doing your job flawlessly and 80% of your time running a campaign for your next position in order to be promoted. This experience has been one of the most disgusting representations of favoritism I have seen since high school "cliques".

Lol VADP.

Arizona is a call center. THATS IT. If you get hired in Arizona and plan on making a career at vanguard, you better be putting 110% of your effort into migrating to the PA headquarters. They try to act like AZ is "growing its opportunities ". It's BS. Your only hope is PA.

Vanguard focuses on pinching pennies for the clients at the expense of their employees wellbeing. They truly are the Walmart of the investment management realm and I will not work for such a company.

Advice to Management

Instead of doing a cost benefit analysis and determining that you can hire people faster than they quit, why don't you follow vanguards mission of investing in the LONG TERM success of the employees by boosting every employees pay by $10k so they can afford to buy a new shirt.

Showing 299 of 1,713 reviews