Vanir Construction Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Guy Mehula, PE

1. "Great Company to be with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Vanir Construction Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great. Everyone is nice and easy going. There are events held for employees like pot lucks and chili cook offs.

Cons

The cost of Health benefits have gone up, but it's going up everywhere.

2. "Management has no idea what they're doing"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Vanir Construction Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have free Cup-O-Noodles and sodas.

Cons

I went into this company with high hopes that it was going to be a great new adventure. I had 2 telephone interviews that lasted 3 hours each and an in-person interview that also lasted 3 hours. I couldn't believe it. Some of the questions were simple job knowledge inquiries, but some questions were asked because they seemed to not know the answers themselves. It was almost like a training session for them...I started talking about a certain procedure that is THE INDUSTRY STANDARD, and they had never even heard of it. That right there should have been a huge red flag. Once I finally started with the company, it became clear within the first 3-4 weeks that management didn't know what they were doing. Management was very nice, good people; but they messed everything up all the time because they didn't understand time management. I spoke to the HR lady about it, and she just said that "chaos was the nature of the business." I told her straight out that it wasn't. I had never seen an office run like that in total disarray. They were constantly running around like everything was an emergency. This does not happen when management decides which bids to compete in right away. It was a complete turn off. It makes you not want to come in. I left the job within a few months.

Advice to Management

Take a class on the Shipley Method. It will be the best money ever spent.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great competitive salary, positive work environment, and presence of upper management at local functions.

Cons

Communication is slow, reimbursement of expenses is once a month and not as submitted, so employees have to wait longer for reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Make things more convenient on the back-office side to make things easier for professionals.

5. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Construction Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vanir Construction Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health Insurance benefits are great compared to other firms - though it's changing rapidly to cut costs. Company supplies support for employees to obtain certifications, particularly CCM (Certified Construction Manager).

Cons

Company going through many changes at the top of the organization. Moving from a family business that really cared about their employees to one that seeks to only maximize profit. Health benefits are being reduced or employee contribution increased (used to be no cost for individual and family coverage). Upper management in Sacramento is becoming too distant and constantly changing, with several Presidents with just the last few years. Unsure of where the company is headed in the future.

Advice to Management

If you say your goal is to retain employees then you need to act on it. There is very little effort made to find a new assignment for employee when current assignment ends. Management used to place employees "on the bench" for weeks while looking for additional assignments but no longer do.

6. "It was great, but not anymore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vanir Construction Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cant think of any now, because the company is still going through a lot changes.

Cons

Unstable board of directors that is totally disconnected with the reality of the people that works for them and were making this company great

Advice to Management

Wake up and instead of bragging how many we are hiring, and ask yourself why so many are leaving at the same time.

7. "What Could Have Been....Too Bad. They lost a good one."

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Vanir Construction Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working at Vanir. Excellent benefits and yearly raises.

Cons

They did not support my region with proper marketing for new projects. They're all about California.

8. "Construction Manager"

Current Employee - Construction Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Construction Manager in Sacramento, CA

Pros

They have great benefits and treat employees decently. Lots of work going on.

Cons

Might need to travel but I am OK with that.

"Experience Varies"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Vanir Construction Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company appears to be growing slightly with the economy and seems to be re-evaluating how they do things under a new upper management team.
    Company seems to have good loyalty to and from a core team of PM/CMs in an industry that is substantially based on project specific demand.

Cons

Direct supervisors and middle managers vary widely in their capabilities and approach.
    Management will take advantage of you if you don't know what you are worth and fight for it.
    Lots of turnover during the past several years resulting in high percentage of new employees with less experience in the corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.
    Help supervisors and mid level managers understand what are key issues to keep staff engaged and successful.

"My experience with Vanir was excellent, they expect their managers to make their own decisions in order to succeed."

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Vanir Construction Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They give you all the tools required, this includes two weekends per year of full training and lessons learned.

Cons

Dealing with difficult clients is the most challenging, you have to be somewhat of a politician.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more accessible at times in order to assist with issues when required.

"Was a great place to work ...until the founder passed away......then became very political."

Former Employee - Construction Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Construction Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Vanir Construction Management (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of training, overall it was a good place to work. Now I am sure I would not recommend it to anyone with much experience in the construction trades.

Cons

The company lost its heart and soul with the death of its founder, the entire culture seemed to change and it became a politically driven workplace, if you know how to game the system you can go far.

Advice to Management

Start promoting on ability not just on office or company politics. Bring back the sense of family that has been lost.