Vanliner Insurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 3 de Jul 2019

3.4
Vanliner Insurance Company CEO Matt Grimm
Matt Grimm

"Awesome place to work! Leadership cares."

I have been working at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time

Pros

Small company feel with big company opportunities. Dedicated leadership. Engaged co-workers. Focused on positivity and employee recognition.

Cons

Current systems are a little clunky and outdated, but encouraged by IT’s future vision.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing when it comes to hiring. The quality of the candidates we are hiring is making our teams better and our work environments more collaborative than ever.

Vanliner Insurance Company2018-07-23

"Toxic Workplace"

Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Centrally located makes for easy commute from most parts of metro.

Cons

Without question the most toxic work environment I've ever experienced. From the first day everyone was speaking badly of everyone else behind their backs. No one seemed exempt, not the entry level employees or upper management. Management yelled more than anywhere I've ever worked. Everyone was angry, unhappy, or just stuck to themselves so they could get through the work day. It seemed almost normal at the time.... I didn't fully realize how very toxic it was until I had left and was back in a normal work environment.

Vanliner Insurance Company2019-07-03

"Company has gone downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time

Pros

Most people are nice, fun activities, lots of fun ways to try to boost morale company wide.

Cons

Poor Underwriting Management, Clique oriented, Doesn't matter how hard you work only depends who you are friends with, president picks and chooses who to acknowledge instead of acknowledging everyone who is submitted as going above and beyond, plays favorites, rules are set for some people and not others, narcissistic underwriting managers with very poor management and people skills who create mentally abusive and... hostile work environments. Management completely out of touch with what is happening on some teams. Particular teams and their managers treated poorly because they aren't favorites of management.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge hard workers even if you're not friends with them. Open your eyes and see what's really going on in your departments. You have management verbally berating and abusing your staff, Stop placing faults and blame on teams that you consider "less" valuable than others. The reality is that you preach regularly how valuable every person is to the success of the company but you have a very poor way of showing... it.

Vanliner Insurance Company2018-06-19

"Awesome internship."

I worked at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

- 40 hours a week but able to flex your hours - great environment - open door policy with President and any manager - co-workers are like family

Cons

- 40 hour work week as an intern was a lot but I was able to gain lots of valuable experience

Vanliner Insurance Company2018-04-08

"People Make the Difference Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I can honestly say that as a veteran with 20+ years with the company, the people act and treat others like family and that's the difference maker. I came to Vanliner from the government sector and the lack of enthusiasm and resources, not to mention the pay, was abysmal. You can always find something wrong with anyone or any place if you want to, but looking at the big picture, the place is a great place to work.... I have made many friends with the co-workers and participated in several fun activities including chili cook-offs, tailgate parties, sporting events, etc. which make the days spent here most enjoyable. I have also taken the time to obtain two additional college degrees-both of which were paid for by the company. What a great perk!

Cons

The folks at Vanliner work hard and are expected to pull their weight every day. Some days can get very long at times and salaried personnel are expected to put the time in for however long it takes. Nothing really new compared to most businesses.

Advice to Management

Keep adding social activities to help pass the day. These have worked well in the past and those that have participated have had a blast.

Vanliner Insurance Company2018-03-22

"Hoping it gets better"

I have been working at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My team works together very well and great supervisor.

Cons

Current president is a glass half empty leader. Not much interaction between departments that need to share information. LOTS of turnover unfortunately in some departments.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to hear acknowledgement of all departments contributions in monthly update meetings. Getting an account signed is great, the other departments downline have to work just as hard to make sure that it is a smooth transition for the customers.

Vanliner Insurance Company2018-02-24

"Claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people. fun activities for families.

Cons

work load. need quicker replacement for empty seats.

Advice to Management

none. all pretty involved.

Vanliner Insurance Company2017-10-26

"Department Supervisors were great - Executive Mgmnt is completely out of touch"

Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Fenton, MO

I worked at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

supervisors were great and easy to work with. System we worked on was a custom CRM that worked very well.

Cons

Some of the other employees are incredibly petty. Most of the executive management is completely out of touch. The CEO actually had the audacity to show us a slideshow once of his uber fancy mobile home and trip he took to Florida during a monthly company meeting. Management is definitely a boys club. You'll have to know someone or definitely kiss alot of to work your way up

Advice to Management

Come down off your high horse.

Vanliner Insurance Company2017-10-02
  9. "Ok Place to work"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Vanliner Insurance Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual atmosphere, employee oriented, growing company, close to home.

Cons

Lower than average wages, HR is unprofessional, do not see growth opportunity.

Vanliner Insurance Company2016-12-05
  10. "Good enry level positions"

Claims in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Vanliner Insurance Company for more than 3 years

Pros

Promotes employees to entry level positions. Great incentives.

Cons

Benefits could be better and HR is not knowledgeable. Upper management aren't honest. Depends on who you know and who your related to if you get a promotion. Have to suck up to get what you want.

Advice to Management

Promote from within you have great employees and dedicated employees that could do the job if you give them a chance.

Vanliner Insurance Company2016-10-02