Vans Reviews | Glassdoor

Vans Reviews

Updated February 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Also great discount on clothing (in 56 reviews)

• 50% discount off everything & 30% off sale, 70% and 50% off sale if you're employee of the month (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No commision, minimum wage, no full time (in 22 reviews)

• Very low pay and difficult to get a raise (in 21 reviews)

"Would Not Recommend"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Vans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent employee discount across brands. Creates a very good networking opportunity.
    No Christmas music during the holidays.
    Excellent learning experience.

Cons

I worked as a supervisor for Vans, for over two years. My experience is limited to my district, but I absolutely would not recommend investing into this company. Corporate Vans would like you to believe in "Heart Share", which is essentially a lure to convince you that although things are not great, they could be worse.

In my opinion, the things that are most problematic with Vans, is lack of opportunity for growth, and an incredibly high turn-over rate. Management for Vans is quite extensive and you are usually demanded to perform tasks outside of your job description and above your pay. Going the extra mile with lack of incentive and no hope for promotions is draining on the employees.

Vans is probably one of the most disorganized companies that I have worked for. Nearly every operational task falls on the same week, every month. The tasks are manageable, if you are experienced and provided with adequate payroll. The poorly made operational schedules create a high-stress environment which often leaves employees feeling discouraged and unmotivated.

Although they would like you to believe otherwise, the company does discriminate. There are rules and guidelines that are applied to certain employees that are not applied to others. For instance, I witnessed my SM commit theft multiple times and was asked to keep quiet by LP. The reasoning behind this is simple, it costs more to replace a SM than it does to take the loss of merchandise.

There will be issues at every single company that you work for, however, I do not believe things will get better at Vans. If you are unhappy, I would suggest that you get out as soon as you can. Do not continue to hold out for hope, invest into a company that in return, will invest into you.

Advice to Management

Perhaps take a college business course? Maybe invest into a ethics course as well, while you're there.

2. "Good company to start with."

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Vans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work environment, good employee discount.

Cons

Harder to move up and compensation isn't always the greatest.

3. "Floor Supervisor"

I have been working at Vans part-time

Pros

This place is just great let me tell you what. Every morning I get to wake up and work with awesome people. We also have a lot of fun when we work.

Cons

There should be health insurance for every "manager" who works for Vans. Not just the SM and ASM. Also, there needs to be more scrutiny in the hiring process for internal promotions.

Advice to Management

Stop being open on so many holidays. Don't you think it's better if people had a little more time off? I truly think America needs a little more time with their families.

"Mixed feelings"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

employee discount, can be fun if you like sneakers as much as i do

Cons

no comission yet pushed to sell a lot, inconsistent hours, one manager doesnt care at all while the other micromanages and acts as fun police, always hires from outside instead of promoting from within, doesnt train properly, barely above minimum wage, no holiday pay, manager is unorganized and not in control of her emotions,

Advice to Management

TRAIN PROPERLY i've been working for several months and cannot do returns or set up boards because i'm not authorized, 6 new employees who have been working for about a month and aren't authorized to make sales. Also give the hours to the peoplle who want and deserve them i shouldnt have to get the hours i need by taking shifts from coworkers who didnt want them in the first place

6. "Vans is not a Bus(t)"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arcadia, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arcadia, CA

I worked at Vans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Worked with your schedules as there are a lot of students working there
    -Decent music playing all the time
    -Decent clientele

Cons

-Hours were hard to get sometimes, as they incentivized lots of upsells, after one bad week you would be losing days and it was hard to get them back.

Advice to Management

Find a better solution for incentivizing upsells that don't keep employees from doing well in the long term.

7. "Employee at Headquarters"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Vans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people
    Cool work environment
    Clothing perks
    Opportunities for community involvement

Cons

Limited advancement
    Compensation opportunities could be reevaluated
    Slight clique mentality at HQ
    VF puts pressure on the brands

8. "Vans is an amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Riverhead, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Riverhead, NY

I have been working at Vans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to be yourself in a great environment. Culture of learning that really give you an opportunity to grow.

Cons

Any retail job has its downfalls of working on holidays and weekends. No set schedule working long nights and missing out on family events.

9. "good for high school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at Vans (More than 3 years)

Pros

it was a fun and encouraging work environment.

Cons

required to do a ton of work, only .22 cent raise every performance check (not very often, maybe once a year), no commission

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Vans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is amazing, and helpful we constantly have each others back when it comes to helping out customers. Personally a positive environment is very important to me.

Cons

The cons of working at Vans would be how slow it gets during the week days, in which results in our ours being cut.

11. "Fun brand, family culture"

I worked at Vans full-time

Pros

-fun environment, not a stuffy corporate office
    -great employee discount
    -casual dress code
    -classes for skill development offered frequently

Cons

-notoriously low wages
    -very limited opportunity for growth