KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Vantage Deluxe World Travel

Engaged Employer

Vantage Deluxe World Travel

Add a Review

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Employee Reviews about "no one"

Updated Aug 7, 2019

Found 10 of over 192 reviews

2.7
Vantage Deluxe World Travel Chairman & Founder Henry Lewis (no image)
Henry Lewis
Pros
  • "Conveniently located outside North Station, giving you the ability to work here if you are near any train system(in 27 reviews)

• "Great location, opportunity to receive tickets to all sporting events and playoffs as well(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No one should work in a company where they are unhappy(in 10 reviews)

• "High turnover and everyone is scared everyday of being fired(in 10 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "no one"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Are you interested in growing your career?

Jun 6, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There seems to be the trend with Ex-Vantage employees, that the only way to get their point across is to post a nasty review when they FINALLY get out. I am under the impression that no one is forced to work here… so if you are having a negative experience at any company, I would urge you to get out. No job is worth your mental health. Is Vantage a difficult place to work? It can be, yes. In fact, it is the most difficult environment that I have ever worked in. If you can stick it out, however, it can be extremely rewarding. You will never be awarded a gold star for just ‘showing up.’ You will need to work your butt off for everything. When you come out on top, however, you will feel like you have just run your first marathon: exhausted and accomplished as hell! There are a lot of meetings that can get very intense. This is a family business, and the owner is heavily involved. This would be the case in any family business. This type of environment is not for everyone, which is important to address. Are you willing to push yourself to try new things? Are you willing to speak up and let your voice and opinion be heard? GREAT. This environment lends itself to many great learning experiences. You can work in, or with, a department that you never thought you would have access to in a more traditional company. You can have the most amazing travel experiences that you might normally not be able to afford. You can walk out the door, and be in a beautiful part of Boston, for a quick bite to eat, afterwork happy hour, or a stroll through a park.

Cons

Do you often speak out of turn and try to ‘BS’ your way through things? Uh oh. This is where you will fall into issues in this workplace. The people who are still here, have likely been here for years. They will see right through this type of behavior. Those people tend to fail and write negative reviews on their way out. Are there managers here who you will TOTALLY butt heads with and disagree with? YES. But I would love to hear about a company where that doesn’t exist. Are the turnover rates high? Certainly. This can also be looked at as a good thing. People who don’t do well here, don’t stay. That is both good for the company, and for the person. No one should work in a company where they are unhappy. This company is far from perfect… but don’t let the Glassdoor reviews be the only research that you do. If you are a glass half empty type of person, maybe this isn’t the right job for you. If you are willing to be optimistic, try your best, and learn a vast amount of information - I urge you to apply. Come in and meet the team before taking a Glassdoor Review for face value.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for addressing the work environment at Vantage in such a well thought out and on-point manner. We appreciate your candor and realistic description of a day in the life of a Vantage employee.

2. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The Truth Hurts... Here It Is.

Aug 7, 2019 - Marketing in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Tickets to sporting events for the selected few employees on the owner's list of people he can leverage by giving free stuff, the occasional office lunch (but always from the same few places so this gets old real fast) and if you're truly one of the chosen you get to go on free trips with the other chosen few.

Cons

Would you like to know the brutally honest truth about working at Vantage Deluxe World Travel? Despite very few, clearly company-driven reviews attempting to mislead you (or shall we say, written by a few hand-selected people that are so detached from reality it is ridiculous) here is a story that will paint a picture of what life at this company truly looks and feels like. Imagine you worked a long, successful career in retail fruit sales, then accept an exciting highly paid job working at a retail fruit store. Day one, the owner storms in (with his pets) and tells you everything is wrong, and while yelling at everyone else he looks at you and tells you that he is going to 'teach' you how to do the business 'the right way'. He then directs you and the team to ONLY sell RED apples. Never anything else... because in his words, 'only idiots would sell anything else'. The owner proceeds to then sit everyone down for no less than four long painful hours explaining why red is the magical color, after all, he’s been ‘doing this for decades and no one knows the business better than him’. At the end of this four hour lecture, the owner gets quite angry and yells 'Why aren't you done restocking the entire store with red apples yet!??!? What is taking you soooo long?!???' This is no exaggeration. One of his pets blurts out 'Yep I sure told them they should use the red apples, it's totally their fault. I emailed three other people, not these folks sitting here right now, but other people, and they should have gone and asked those other three people which color apples they should be selling so it's clearly their fault.' You dutifully follow the direction as the owner leaves while his pets stay behind making lots of noise and messes that you have to work for hours to clean up, then you get to work restocking with the magical red apples. Day two, the owner returns (again with his pets) and sees a store stocked with nothing but shiny red apples... precisely as he directed. He looks shocked!! 'What are you doing?!? Are you some kind of moron? After I left you walked around and bumped into someone else in the hallway and listened to them!?? These should all be GREEN apples!!! You're hiring the wrong people!! Where is your competitive data??? Look across the street at Elite Fruits... they only have green apples! Even though Elite Fruits is a true luxury fruit cafe that is 10 times bigger than our bargain basement model, we should compare ourselves to them and do exactly what they do!' Then, the owner says to you 'So now that I have taught you how to do this, again, and you only have to restock the entire store with just green apples, I am making this easy for you right? I am helping you, see!!!?? Did I say it right?!?!?' Then the owner has you pick up every green apple and inspect every single one... meticulously. Nine painful hours later the owner leaves, his pets break things all over the store, bark loudly telling you everything was your dumb fault and they too leave rushing out the door to catch up with the owner in a panicked rush. Day three, you find out that immediately after the pets left the store, they spent the rest of the night telling your team they talked to the owner and all the green apples should be replaced with YELLOW apples, and there should be some BANANAS too... your team asked if they could update you and the pet told them to keep you out of it. As you walk into the store early that morning, you find bananas on the shelves with the pets supervising the team. When you ask why the change yet again, the pets bark at you 'Well everyone knows if we give away the yellow apples every customer will buy bananas. Unless you didn't learn anything in school and can't tell the difference between an apple and a banana!' The owner pops in and confirms he told the pets to change everything to yellow apples and bananas, behind your back. You point out that you followed the owner's directions from the day prior to the letter, that apples have a higher margin than bananas which you actually barely break even on, so even if you actually sell the bananas you still lose money by giving away the apples. The pets howl and scream at you and make messes all over the store again... and leave you to clean up the mess... again. You stare bewildered. Day four... the owner shows up and witnesses the disaster. He screams 'I NEVER told you to sell yellow apples or bananas, I have never done that and I don't know WHO you are bumping into!! Time time time... let’s take a time here. I know you're a young lady.... I mean I know I am the smartest person in the room, and I don't mean to offend anyone... except all morons that do nothing but eat sandwiches all day... Slow slow slow down you're confusing me. Don't you EVER listen to my pets... you ONLY LISTEN TO ME. My pets are idiots and if you listen to them you will put me out of business!!! They have cost me MILLIONS!! Don't you EVER listen to my pets!!!' You stare bewildered. At this point the store is actually on fire, and the owner tells you 'hey I just spent $70 million on two new stores and we are gonna stock them with really awful fruit... then we are gonna give it all away for free! Plus, we are going to give away those fruit bags we used to charge $0.20 a piece. Now I know that's our biggest money maker because the bags cost us literally $0.01 a piece, but I know better than anyone else how to do this because I have been doing this for 40 years!' You stare bewildered again... Then, the next day the pets tell you the plan to start advertising for the new stores. The pets claims new direction from the owner is to raise the prices for apples from $0.35 each, to $0.95 each... but now advertise when people buy an apple they will also get a 'free' banana. So you check with the owner, remembering what he said about his pets, and the owner screams at you over the phone for 3 hours jamming you through the new approach... which really only should've taken 3 minutes but the owner tells you he is again doing you a favor and 'teaching you' while he screams and insults you repeatedly. Again you dutifully follow that direction, which requires you to stay very late and fix everything one more time to support the new direction... every time someone comes in to buy an apple the pets jump in and tell the customer 'well, we know the new price is $0.95 BUT we're gonna go ahead and sell it to you for $0.25 because we really don't like telling customers they have to pay the new price and after all we know this customer saw the old price and we should just sell it to them at the old price WITH AN INVALID COUPON and blame you for raising the price anyway.' You stare bewildered. Again. Despite telling you and everyone else that his pets are complete idiots and blaming them for the drop in sales, you quickly learn the owner has been meeting with his pets and together they have completely changed the entire business plan.... once again. The pets proudly runs around pulling the entire company into the barn where they can be the center of attention, and proudly blab on for hours telling everyone the newest approach. You shake your head quietly because the newest plan makes absolutely zero sense and is in fact even worse for the business. When you attempt to discuss this newest change with the pets you are told to ‘shut up and just do it.’ You also wonder if this is really happening and based on everything the owner has rammed into your head you seriously question what the correct move is... After this pets end the meeting, the owner calls you and keeps you on the phone for 2 hours screaming at you because you haven't already rolled out the newest plan (the one you found out about literally 2 hours ago). Never mind the store has caught fire again, the pets are actually pouring gas on the fire, and there are now no bananas because the harvesters lost the shipment while negotiating prices with the farms. The owner screams at you for hiring the wrong people and tells you to go hire someone that knows how to genetically engineer better apples. You blink bewildered and bang your head on your desk. You find out there has been a new website in development for, well, years... but every time the team starts to make progress, the owner jumps in and pulls the team back into another room and has them make a bunch of unnecessary changes to the current website. Which means the new website timeline gets pushed back, and immediately after the meeting the owner runs around and screams at everyone demanding to know when the new website will be done. You notice the newest apple supply is bruised, and mention to the owner that you are concerned about sales. The owner screams at you 'well you should have known the pets were buying bad apples and it’s now YOUR fault because you should have fixed it.' You remind the owner that while the pets were buying the apples from the local farm, you were literally putting the fire out, changing the advertising materials to market the 'free' banana with higher priced apples and cleaning the store... to which the owner (and the pets because they walked in) screams at you calling you incompetent, blames you for costing the store 3 million dollars in revenue and if you would have listened to him and hired someone that knows how to make apple juice and apple jelly all your problems would be solved. You stare bewildered and begin to wonder if this is a bad dream or reality. You email the marketing team and you ask 'Hey marketing team can we schedule a meeting to discuss the new crop and how best to start advertising them?' The pets send an email in response: 'We need to sell more fruit, and if you actually knew how to market and sell fruit we could fix our cash flow problems and save the day. I really wonder if any of you know how to read, or if you even know how to do your jobs!? Next time, before you email anyone with bad info maybe you should check with me to see if you know what you're talking about!! And, I don't like the tone in your email! If you don't apologize to me I am gonna run and tell the owner while we go out drinking tonight!' This is only scratching the surface... if you doubt any of this, go ahead and take a job at Vantage. Within weeks you will sit down, shake your head and say 'EVERY single word in that review was spot-on, terrifyingly true.' You will. Nothing, literally not a single thing anyone can post here can possibly debate anything in this post because it is the truth... and we all know the truth can be hard to accept. The company has a spinning door... employees and contractors get fired, new ones hired, a few months later those get fired or quit, new ones are cycled in. When you see this at a company, it is a glaring HUGE red flag. The only thing that stays constant is the pets. Now, if your company posted losses year after year and the only constant thing was the pets, wouldn't you be smart enough to realize if you want anything to change you need to get new pets? Well now you know... if you choose to deny the truth, I can and will only be able to say, 'Told ya!!'.

45 people found this review helpful

HR Manager

At Vantage we have many talented and driven associates who are integral to our success. We are proud to have a team of truly dedicated people who are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and get things accomplished. While Vantage provides a truly dynamic environment, you will never be bored and always have plenty of opportunities to show your skills and advance into more challenging positions.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Anonymous

Jun 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some really nice people. Great location

Cons

There are a lot of cons working here. The constant changes requiring you to keep redoing your work over ad over. There is always a rush to get work completed only to have to do it over again. Definitely not enough staff and if you are in a position that you have to interact with the owner or the senior executives, good luck. They never listen to what any of the employees have to say, if you make a suggestion of an easier way to do something, your suggestions are dismissed or you are ridiculed. Errors are made that are detrimental to the company and no one is held accountable. More often than not, you are required to do the work or more than 1 person, sometimes 2 plus your own. There is incredible turnover because people reach a point that they cannot take it anymore. Some even leave without another job lined up. Nothing will change because Senior Executives do not believe that there is a problem. They are very out of touch and in most cases are not the right people to be in those positions. Senior Executives are out of touch with what the customer wants and you need to stop force feeding your customers to what you think they want. It only ends up being a nasty customer service issue in the end.

14 people found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Total nightmare of a company

Jan 17, 2017 - Telesales in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very sad when the only thing positive you can say is there's free fruit and across the street from the T station.

Cons

For one, they cannot keep anyone in ANY type of HR management role. It is currently staffed by an intern and a temp. Too many violations. They're moving ALL aspects of the operation, INCLUDING their Sales and Service departments ALL on one floor of the building so the owner can rent out the space that was the call center. There isnt much space per employee.. Safety needs to come into question especially if there's a fire. ANY department that comes into contact with a customer IS REQUIRED to sell them something. This would include the accounting department, costumer service departments even the operations department. Which is completely unheard of. Upper management and the owner took a once fantastic place to work and turned it into a pit of greed and backstabbing. This really all stems from the owner. He likes to think that he and his company are among the Viking, Crystal and Regent cruiselines and it is FAR from it. Everyone is expendable. No one is immune to the uncaring nature of upper management. All VPs are pawns. They cannot really do their jobs without the owner right there dictating. It really is a sad place.

18 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee

Main Issue- Upper Management

Dec 29, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pros are plentiful: Great location, hard working co-workers, willing to pay you well, free fruit (though never enough to support the whole office)

Cons

Cons: Upper management needs to be cleaned out. They should protect their departments, and right now they don't. Hank will call them up in a meeting and berate everyone. Too many meetings- no one can get work done with all the meetings Vacation policy- could use some work. Not great, work from home discouraged, only allowed a few times last year.

6 people found this review helpful

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Response

Vantage Deluxe World Travel offers the best in Deluxe travel and the lowest price. We would not be able to maintain this without hard work, making changes as often as they are needed and attention to detail. This starts with the owner of the company and is instilled through all associates. Our passengers deserve this. We have a full time corporate trainer. All training with vendors is recorded and stored to anyone who wants it. If anyone needs additional training for their job, all they have to do is ask

6. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Horible Place to Work

Sep 27, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free Fruit and close to the T

Cons

This place is so dysfunctional. Senior management is not allowed to run their departments because the owner is a "Richard Cranium" who thinks he knows everything when the competition is blowing us away. All I hear is negative and no praise from him and the only reason I see us tolerating his is because we need a job at the present. HR is trying to get people to write positive reviews on Glassdoor to drive the ratings up and this is all smoke and mirrors. Almost unethical. When I heard they let the VP of the Call Center go I could not believe it. He was a very positive force who was making a difference and seemed to really care about his job and his people. This place has no respect for no one unless you are one of the owner's pets who tell him what he wants to hear to advance their agenda and stay in his good graces.

19 people found this review helpful

Vantage Deluxe World Travel Response

Yes, this is a fast paced company. To survive in the Travel industry a company must respond and change immediately. It is because we have travel programs in all 7 continents, great employees, and plans and procedures in place, we are able to do so. A key to surviving more than 30 years

7. 1.0
      Current Employee

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Mar 24, 2015 - Middle Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Near North Station. Discounted T pass provided.

Cons

Owner is a psychotic bully. No one with a working brain would allow themselves to be treated this way very long. They hire quickly - they have to because everyone is constantly running out the back door. They prey on the uneducated, lie about the benefits, constantly cut out breaks and lunches without warning. They do bring in pizza etc on these days but keeping you tied to the desk is the main goal so chew fast!

15 people found this review helpful

Vice President of Global Human Resources

Thank you again for the feedback. We follow a strict hiring process to ensure that right people are in right jobs, we do not hire quickly. The company has a culture of wellness, so I can not even think of a time that we ordered pizza. Our benefits are competitive and we always strive to improve our benefits.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Unhealthy work environment.

Oct 3, 2013 - Graphic Designer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've met some great people through this job. And the location is great. Helps when you need to escape the office several times a day.

Cons

Constant turn over in all departments. Negative attitudes. No one seems happy to be there. The CEO has knee jerk reactions to every number that he sees. You can't ever win.

9 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

no future

Nov 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

location next to north station

Cons

poor management , lack of structure, no one knows how to do metrics that matter, turnover is over 70%. The owner is horrible and will humiliate you in front of group in meeting and he will not let you speak.

17 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

So bad you have to laugh

Aug 27, 2012 - Marketing
      Business Outlook

Pros

location... and that's about it.

Cons

- management - fear-based culture - high turnover rate No one is spared humiliation by the CEO, and senior management won't stick up for you. The culture here is so grim, it's no wonder a handful of people leave every month.

17 people found this review helpful