Varen Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Varen"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Varen Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is great, my bosses have always seemed to care about me

Cons

Almost 100% contract based. Not a lot of front office work, but that's not atypical.

2. "Typical Small Defense Contracting Company"

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are decent; benefits are average for this industry. 401(k) is better than most (but watch out for the vesting period).

Cons

There is little contact with upper management or other employees. People are spread out onesies and twosies over multiple contracts in multiple locations.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Veteran Cyber Intelligence Analytic Support Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Varen Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits package- good people

Cons

none that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None

"Growing Pains"

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time

Pros

Company started as a very close knit group when it was small, but grew too fast and lost its culture. The CEO and President is extremely smart. Additionally, employees are rewarded (bonuses, pay incentives, raises) for their participation in these events as well as for their extra efforts in client spaces.

Cons

Needs to take better interest in the individual employee career interest and advancement. The company is expanding and is growing very quickly. As a result, they have lost some of their small company charm. Additionally, managements focus tends to shift away from their employees and towards the pursuit of additional clients/contracts.

Advice to Management

Managers should touch base with their employees on a regular basis. There is a fine line between feeling like you are trusted because your management leaves you alone to do your work and feeling abandoned because your management hasn't visited/contacted you in 6 months.

"Good and Bad"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company works hard to keep healthcare costs from rising rapidly. Profit sharing is a nice benefit. Generous PTO compared to other companies. CEO actually learns employees names.

Cons

Employees are spread out at client sites. Your experience is determined by work site and contract you're on. There is limited and often poor communication with employees.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with your people. Respond to them in a timely fashion.

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Senior Network Security Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Network Security Consultant in Columbia, MD

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive benefits (401K, vacation, medical, dental, etc.). The company treats it employees well and provides them with many opportunities to participate in the growth of the company (interviewing potential employees, bid proposals, etc.). Additionally, employees are rewarded (bonuses, pay incentives, raises) for their participation in these events as well as for their extra efforts in client spaces.

"Small is good"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mgmt works hard to maintain a "one big happy family" atmosphere. I'd forgotten what it was like, being on a first name basis with the CEO. Lack of hidebound processes for dealing with every issue is a BIG plus, after working in a huge firm whose processes made it next to impossible to accomplish anything.

Cons

Most of the assignments are with their primary customer, scattered in small groups in multiple remote locations.

"Best company I've ever worked for. The employees are treated with respect and appreciation."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Columbia, MD

I worked at Varen Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company goes out of their way to make their employees happy.

Cons

There can be communication issues among the various levels of management.

Advice to Management

Make sure the communication chain runs all the way to the employee. Sometimes information stops at the lower management levels and its frustrating for the employees.

"Great company, but your client may not be"

I have been working at Varen Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mid and upper level management are excellent people that are both competent and easy to talk to. Yearly evaluations are generous in terms of not penalizing you heavily for mistakes, but they'll let you know what things got noticed so you can improve. Compensation benefits, and side benefits (food and events) are very strong. You get the general feeling they're trying the best they can to take care of people.

Cons

This is a contracting company, so when you're put on a contract, you have to deal with the issues related to that indirect employer you're working for, and yes, some of them can be quite frustrating. The recruiting staff is good but sometimes is not fully aware what contract positions are open : make sure you listen carefully during all stages of the hiring process because your job description may change midway through.

Advice to Management

Make sure recruiting has up to date information on the placements available

"Good people and great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

I've been with Varen for a little over a month and I have to say everything has been exactly as they promised (or better) during my several-month transition from a large consulting firm. Although I liked my former employer, Varen is even better! It is fun and exciting to be with a small company that is growing and to be at a place where you can make a real impact.

Cons

When I was at "big consulting firm," we had a system or a process for just about everything. Varen is still working on that. On the other hand, there are great opportunities to take some of these projects on--Varen leadership appreciates and rewards those who go above and beyond to help advance the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you've done to get this far! Hiring only the best staff and rewarding them for the company's success is a model that is working for Varen and its employees.