Varian Medical Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Varian Medical Systems President & CEO Dow R. Wilson
Dow R. Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance; Appreciative environment for your work (in 33 reviews)

• Great benefits and a healthy work environment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk a lot about work-life balance, but salaried employees are "expected" to be available 24/7 (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management seems to put little to no "value" into your experience with the company or otherwise (in 12 reviews)

"No career path, too much politics"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Products, employees are nice

Cons

Compensation not compatible, Bureaucracy, Management treats employee as like mechanical parts ... but not human being

"Production Operator III"

Former Employee - Production Operator III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Production Operator III in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quarterly bonuses, tuition reimbursement, great insurance.

Cons

Sucky management, no room for professional growth. Your success is based solely on who you know...typical corporate politics.

Advice to Management

Treat people like people, not like your personal worker bees. We make the products so you receive your huge bonuses and yearly trips.

"Laissez-faire managers participate in and turn a blind eye to harassment and workplace bullying in clinical education."

Former Employee - Physics Instructor (Clinical Applications) in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Physics Instructor (Clinical Applications) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, OK salary. Company still has secure market position with regard to some flagship products. There are some really good people who work here. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed.

The clinical education department is better suited for new grads or lower ranking radiation oncology personnel, rather than for more knowledgeable, seasoned, higher ranking professionals. Good for therapists, but not attractive for certified, clinical medical physicists.

Cons

Extremely poor management exists at all levels in clinical education. The working environment is politically toxic.

A "clickish, "ol-boys club" is very much in place. To an outrageous extent, false work reviews, false (often preposterous) accusations, workplace bullying, downright lies, and all manner of underhanded tactics are often used to subdue employees who are seen as a threat by some unscrupulous individuals. Unfortunately, workplace bullying is not yet against the law in most states.

A Laissez-faire approach to management is the norm. They are taking what they perceive as the easy way out.

Beware of taking a job here where you have more credentials, experience, and expertise than your coworkers and especially your manager. You may become a target. Run! Don't just walk away.

For me, this was absolutely the worst working environment in my substantial career. Unbelievable.

Advice to Management

Follow the companies published values rather than doing the opposite. Do the right thing.

Many people in radiation oncology facilities, both domestic and abroad, who are key decision makers regarding large capital equipment purchases will be going with Elekta and Accuray rather than Varian in the future. When considering such purchases, It is often easy to make an argument either way, for one vendor or the other. But many people just don't like dealing with Varian. Could this have something to do with loosing market share? I assure you that it has and will.

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, 401K, Stock Options, co-workers all pull together to help on another since management will not

Cons

Little to no work life balance, no support, no training, poor communication and your hard work is never good enough. The more knowledgeable you are more work gets piled on to you with no pay raises or recognition. (Bravo rewards) Managers will take your idea’s as their own with no credit for your hard work. No room for growth. All lateral moves. Until they remove all the poor management at this location, nothing will change.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee's with respect and listen to them! Stop piling more work on them and tell them we need to prove our worth! Our production numbers and good work should be proof enough we are valuable employees! Stop sweeping the problem under the rug and avoiding the real issues.

"Not what I was expecting!"

Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Good health insurance. That's it!

Cons

Not This is my second job after I came to US from Canada, and I never expected it to be like this! Worst management ever.

"Software Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

What ever you do no one cares.

Cons

Your career is killed. You will be come lazy in your life.

Advice to Management

Remove all talking directors. Hire directors who are technically good. Change to performance based company.

"Varian growing pains"

Former Employee - Process Operator III in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Process Operator III in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Varian Medical Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Majority of the people are awesome to work with who treat you like family but more importantly help you achieve and succeed in other areas plus help guide you to be promotable.

Cons

Since the new CEO and management came in, the format has now changed and they don't help or encourage anyone to be promotable or treat anyone like they are important which cause the company to have its worse sales in 40 years which cause the company to lay off and lose contracts.

Advice to Management

get your head out and realize don't ever change the wheel of progress by adding more overhead than actual people that make the company work.

"Very Unhealthy and Negative Work Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Varian Medical Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Money was good but, not work the abuse, stress and unhealthy environment.

Cons

Upper management does not support front line managers unless it suits them.
    Verbal abuse from customers is permitted even when reported to HR and upper management...
    Back stabbing work environment, no change is allowed and is immediately slammed down.
    No work life balance in the Service sector so you have very angry, aggressive and uncooperative service engineers. They only stay because they can "work the system" and the company goes through front line managers frequently because healthy change is not supported and actually discouraged.
    One week you're getting an award and the next week your in trouble for trying to do the right thing.
    Discrimination is allowed and unsafe work practices are not addressed when reported.
    Harassment and Slander even continues when you leave so that you have a hard time finding work.
    Even when you report it to the company in HR, nothing is done so the slander and defamation of your character and capabilities continues.
    One of the worst work experiences of my career...
    Do your homework before you work for this company.

Advice to Management

Change upper management to people who really care about their employees and not just their bottom line and bonus.

"IT Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good peers
    Company is stable.
    Strong products

Cons

IT work environment is a total mess
    Work is done just to get things checked off not to give any business value
    Management has progressively become horrible. Cutting costs in a way that employee feels no motivation for any work
    Management has become close door. hidden agenda etc has become very common

Advice to Management

If you want to run an IT shop look progressive. Cutting people's awards jsut makes them less motivated and you are not getting their 100%. Please stop managing IT like the 19th century.

"Sub-assembly worker."

Former Employee - Sub Assembly in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sub Assembly in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Varian Medical Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the first glance I saw real potential with this company in making it a career.
    Liked the position and people I was working with at first.

Cons

Managers; are cool and nice one day and the next they fire you. And won't even be the one to do it.
    In my interview a woman that was suppose to be my trainer asked me if I was into drama, I said "NO! Mind my own business." Well she ended up being the dramatic one of everyone in that company and the reason why I don't have a job.
    MOST RIDICULOUS JOB EVER!!!
    Oh and I had to train myself on everything.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter how long a damn employee has worked for the company there are always two sides to the story. But the management would always go with the veterans.