Varsity Tutors Reviews

Updated May 22, 2020

4.2
Varsity Tutors Founder and CEO Chuck Cohn
Chuck Cohn
Pros
  • "Can work from home (or anywhere with decent internet connection)(in 136 reviews)

• "The online platform is very well designed and allows me to work with students all over the country in the comfort of my own home(in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • "Online tutoring rate is the same for all subjects - it's the same for Kindergarten and College Chemistry(in 59 reviews)

• "Low pay compared to competitors(in 54 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bonuses, meals and remote options

Cons

Pressure on sales is expected

Varsity Tutors2019-07-28
  2. "Great Opportunity to Educate the World and Make some Extra Money"

Current Employee - Math Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Extra Income Maintain your content area skills at all levels Build relationships Make Connections

Cons

Not the best pay, but also not my main source of income.

Varsity Tutors2020-05-22
  3. "Varsity Tutors Employment Review"

Current Employee - Certified Math Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly, I have only been a part of the Varsity Tutors team for a couple months now, but I genuinely enjoy getting to work as a tutor for this company. They have one of the best employee-support teams that I have ever come across; they are always eager to resolve any issues that may arise within a tutoring session as well as answer any questions along the way. The pay is solid, and, as a tutor, I have complete control of if and when I tutor. For online tutoring, I have the opportunity to discuss with clients about what their expectations are as we continue our sessions and I can easily schedule clients and make adjustments to the schedule if I need to. When working with a student online, we have access to a highly sophisticated interactive board to guide students through each lesson.

Cons

The biggest downfall, in my opinion, is the process Varsity Tutors takes to remove a client from your list of students when they do not have enough credits for tutoring sessions. It would be easier on tutors if we received notification that a client were dropped because of financial reasons, as opposed to receiving the same notification we do when clients' goals are met or they are reassigned. Knowing that a student is temporarily out of credits and can be reassigned to you would be more beneficial than it seeming like we will not have that student again.

Varsity Tutors2020-05-20

"Flexible Hours and Quick Tech Help"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for varsity tutors allows me to set my own hours and work from home easily. The hiring process was really easy with submitting files and doing an asynchronous interview online. If there are technical problems with a session, there is help quickly. The kids are also really nice to work with and sometimes parents are there too.

Cons

Not a constant flow. Some days I'll have a lot of various opportunities and other days, not any.

Varsity Tutors2020-05-13
  5. "A great place for growth while helping people"

Current Employee - Tutor Engagement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am grateful to work at Varsity Tutors. I've been in Education for a while and I get to explore my professional career in a different way while still helping people with their educational needs. I have been working at Varsity Tutors for almost 3 years, and every time that I asked, I've been able to explore my own initiatives and given the chance to learn while working with very knowledgeable people. I am also grateful to work at a place where the culture of "helping people learn" pushes for giving back to the community during trying times!

Cons

None to mention at this time

Varsity Tutors2020-05-18

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Varsity tutors is amazing! You get to help people learn. The pay is great. We get awesome benefits. And the live learning platform truly helps us stand out as the #1 tutoring company! The best part is the people who work here. Everyone is great.

Cons

This is a sales job, so you will be expected to get sales. But that’s ok, because the training and support here is incredible. If you just follow the system and advice you get from the trainers and your manager, you’ll do great!

Varsity Tutors2020-05-13

"Super Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Educational Director

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for less than a year

Pros

My experience has been excellent. I love the flexible, great money opportunity, and I love my team. My favorite part so far is upper management response time is amazing. I am very happy that I applied because, I would have never thought working remotely would be so awesome.

Cons

No cons for me. I believe if a person do their job they will be good.

Varsity Tutors2020-05-11

"Sales done right!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent culture, adaptive business model and a strong vision. This company is a very innovative one, its culture, model and upper management all have the mindset of growing this business to shape an industry. It is a sales position but it gives you the opportunity to learn sales in the correct way. Asking inquisitive questions and truly getting to know your customer. I have very much enjoyed working here and if you are looking for a place to grow not only professionally, but personally then this is an excellent company to do that.

Cons

Benefits are lacking somewhat, mostly due to a high deductible.

Varsity Tutors2020-05-07

"Varsity Tutors is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Tutor in Fort Leonard Wd, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, flexible schedule, making a difference. There are usually instant tutoring opportunities every day.

Cons

There aren't a lot of ongoing tutoring jobs at certain times of the year.

Varsity Tutors2020-05-09

"Great Online Tutoring!"

Current Employee - Chinese Tutor in Henderson, NV

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love teaching Chinese on Varsity. Fantastic platform and services. Very easy to use.

Cons

Everything is great on Varsity Tutors!

Varsity Tutors2020-05-06