Varsity Tutors Reviews | Glassdoor

Chuck Cohn

"No more winter travel!"

Current Employee - Eductional Sales Technology in Warren, IL
    Current Employee - Eductional Sales Technology in Warren, IL

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the freedom of working from home, as well as the flexibility and fair management of its employees.

Cons

I can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Great business & Great people"

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have recently joined Varsity Tutors and I can honestly say that this is a great place to work. The people are bright, smart, and hard working. If you are looking for a place to grow your career and are willing to work hard, this is the place to be.

Cons

The corporate team is scattered across the country. I wish everybody was at one place.

"Very satisfying way to work"

Current Employee - Tutor in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Tutor in Akron, OH

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a very satisfying way to tutor. They have developed a lot of resources which make it easy to tutor well. There is plenty of excellent material available onscreen that one can use while working with a student online. These resources and infrastructure make it easier to have productive and helpful sessions. The students are motivated and want to learn. These are people who are trying to take the next step in life, and it is satisfying to help them improve and progress towards their goals. This is good and beneficial work, and a lot of resources have been developed to make it easy to deliver an effective learning experience. Varsity brings tutoring opportunities to the tutor, which is very helpful. I have taught in leading universities, and the quality of the engagement with students, and the overall satisfaction, at Varsity, compares very favorably. Highly recommended.

Cons

No real down sides, though I expect they will continue to make the whole experience even better.

"Great Job"

Current Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tutor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just a great way to help other students succeed across the nation and earn money. The staff at VT are the best, they are extremely responsive and cater to the needs of the tutors. Hours are also very flexible and the interface is easy to work with.

Cons

No major cons at all!

"Academic tutor"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. You get students regularly, and you get paid twice a week

Cons

This is a great part time job. You might need another source of income

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Overall a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provide great general and technical support, very easy to contact someone for help, easy platform to use, personal freedom regarding which clients to accept or decline

Cons

Some occasional technical glitches but they are usually resolved quickly

"Organized Enterprise"

Current Employee - Tutor in Plainfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Plainfield, NJ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are organized and keep track of their business. The online tutoring interface works well as does the app. Tutors get all student contact information. The students supplied are good and varsity tutors finds the students. Lots of educational resources are provided. They market themselves fairly well.

Cons

The $15/hour rate for online classes is a little low and it is difficult to connect with enough students to earn a reasonable income.

Advice to Management

Keep working on attracting students.

"Great job!"

Current Employee - Tutor in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Tutor in Provo, UT

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I control my own schedule, I get to choose which clients to accept, and I get to decide what subjects to tutor in. I love that I can work from home, the pay is good, and I have the opportunity to help people in a significant way.

Cons

Sometimes the online platform is a little difficult to work with, although tech support is pretty great. Additionally, a few of the practice tests and problems are no good. Although I have not had any problem getting clients, there is no guarantee that this will happen. I don't know whether my client opportunities will decrease significantly come summertime.

Advice to Management

One problem I often run into is the inability to skip ahead to a different question on a diagnostic test. Instead, I have to click through them one at a time. For test prep, this makes it difficult to simulate the flexibility you have in answering questions out of order. Additionally, it would help me if I had answer keys to the tests. I don't mind taking them but sometimes I wish I could just click a link to see the answers.

"A Good Company"

Current Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff, excellent online resources and platform, and opportunities for bonuses.

Cons

The occasional technical glitch, but the support staff is always quick to respond.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

"Poor culture, dismal values, minimal integrity."

Current Employee - Sales Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers really make the day bearable. The office is in a good location, clean, bright and they offer a well stocked kitchen. Hourly pay is reasonable but appears in reporting few reps actually hit bonus numbers.

Cons

This is not a corporation. There are zero employee protections, no disciplinary policies and the turn over in Sales is ridiculously high. 5 people or so a month are fired with little coaching and zero progressive discipline. You notice that a 10 year company has less than 10ish% employee retention beyond 1 year?! If you have a good job, I wouldn't risk it. Management speaks to doing good work, tutoring changes lives, then enacts sales policies that are malicious towards customers, using "pain" to manipulate people to buy their services. No "quality product sells itself with good service" ideals here. Several new employees expressed the sales tactics asked of them made them uncomfortable because of dishonesty. Definitely high pressure, used car like sales. No security for employees and small opportunities for growth into management. Be prepared to see hardworking coworkers things surreptitiously swept into boxes by HR as a weekly occurrence. They also steeply underpay the tutors so they can provide kegs of beer and pizza to the office staff on a twice weekly basis. Managers are know for saying they'll take you out for drinks or food and expense it. For a company not yet profitable, this is a scary practice that speaks to their culture. Do you spend money going out and treating your friends to drinks when your budget is still in the red? That's why the rutors are making only 15$ of that 65$ rate. And they're providing all the content and the actual service? The culture here feels great until you realize that theres no equity among employees/contractors and the perks are at the customer and tutors expense.

Advice to Management

Kinda weird to see the CEO spends up to 6 hours per day playing ping pong? Creating tournaments just to have people to play with him. Doesn't really make you feel like this is a serious business. HR policies on progressive discipline needed to protect employees and management. Mandatory minimums need to be made clear before the week that you fire the person. Terrifying that people quit full time positions to come to a company with a lack of transparency on turn over/wash out rate and they should be up front about their offering of essentially temporary/ seasonal/extreme at will status of employment. Also don't blatantly lie to new candidates about the schedule. If its all nights and weekends, just make that clear up front. Don't bait and switch.