Varsity Tutors Reviews | Glassdoor

Varsity Tutors Founder and CEO Chuck Cohn
Chuck Cohn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Tutor pay is low, can teach more than 1 subject (in 29 reviews)

• online tutoring session set-up not as easy as it claims to be (in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Representative at Varsity Tutors"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear communication from executives down to the lowest levels. You know what is expected of you every day. It's a healthy work environment. Extremely fun, competitive, and lively. Lots of growth potential within the company. VT is growing extraordinarily fast!

Cons

There is none that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"This is your new work Family!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent 9 years with my last organization. When I was seeking employment after a move out of state, I knew I was going to be very picky. You spend more time with your co-workers than with your own family so it's important to me that it feels that way. It needs to feel like home!

From the on boarding process to training to stepping foot on the sales floor, every person you'll encounter in genuine. And each individual cares for you and your success here at VT. And what can be better than changing the lives of the students you assist?

It's an awesome, fun, lively environment where you can grow and develop. I've been here a year and a half and I'm in my 3rd role moving in a positive direction. Come jump on our rocket ship! You won't regret it.

Cons

If you come in each day with a positive attitude, you're gritty and are open to implementing feedback, there are no cons.

"Thriving tech company with core focus on helping people learn and a great work culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, meaningful mission (to help people learn), exciting vision (to connect experts and learners in any subject, anytime, anywhere), comfortable and engaging work environment. Always trying new things, supportive management, leaders with vision AND a listening ear. Varsity is honestly one of the best places I have ever worked.

Cons

Would love it if Varsity was able to increase the number of vacation days.

"Opportunity, Growth and an Amazing Atmosphere!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

The culture and people at Varsity Tutors is one of the best things about working here. Everyone is friendly, works hard and is committed to doing the right thing.

Cons

Working at any start up can be challenging at times as things will change a lot, but this is part of what makes working here exciting!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to feedback from employees at all levels of the organization! This is part of how we got to where we are today.

5. "Client Sales Representativw - LOVING what I do!"

Current Employee - Client Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Client Sales Representative

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team is by far the #1 reason I enjoy my work so much. My manager is just a great mentor who helps us grow and builds on our strengths. The closeness with the team really makes it a no brainer and it is an added bonus that we get to help people get connected to tutors that they really need. Just overall rewarding work. I also can't say enough how positive it is I get to work from home which makes it easier to keep that work/life balance that we all strive to get.

Cons

There can be a lot of changes (which you expect from a fast growing company), but they are getting better and better at vocalizing those

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and keep taking that feedback to grow this the right way.

"Good place to start a job"

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

They teach you everything you need to know to be successful at Varsity tutors. they take the time to invest into their employees

Cons

You have to work one weekend day.

"Everything is great"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varsity Tutors has a lot of perks to working here! The environment is great, the people are wonderful to work with, and the compensation is fair as well. My work on my team allows for flexibility and opportunities for career growth, and I am very happy with my position here at Varsity Tutors.

Cons

I do not have any Cons!

8. "Client Sales Representative"

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varsity Tutors is an exciting and dynamic place to work! There is an incredible growth mindset here and the company constantly seeks ways to expand and improve. The overall attitude of the company to it's employees is thoughtful and positive.

Cons

The success of the company has caused some growing pains over the course of the first few years, but generally, concerns are heard and corrected as soon as possible. While a 40 hour work week is all that is required of you, there is a general need for overtime which can cause a struggle between needed personal time and the wish to put in a good business performance.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to support employees' personal investments/time as well as professional needs.

9. "Low pay for tutors who have highly developed skills"

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Varsity Tutors (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility in taking/rejecting tutoring jobs

Cons

Pay is very low when considering the level of skill one needs for certain tutoring jobs. They have students asking for help in college course (including upper level) and HS advancement placement courses (which are equivalent to college). One needs to be highly skilled in these areas to tutor but they pay ~$15/hr -- an entry level wage (while charging the student ~$70/hr).

Advice to Management

Pay tutors at an hourly rate commensurate with the skill required.

10. "Good, focused, ambitious company but not for everyone"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Varsity Tutors full-time

Pros

- Good managers and culture
    - CEO is awesome, really friendly and engaged with employees at all levels. Has a great mission for the company and plan to get there.
    - Lunch provided 2x a week
    - Working from home if needed is really nice

Cons

- Having the same conversation all day every day (some may like the simplicity but I like having greater variety)
    - This is a call center sales job, just to be clear, which isn't for everyone
    - Mandatory OT during busier times

Advice to Management

Management is great, like I said the CEO is very driven and has put together a solid executive team. Middle management seems to have good managers across the board as well. Chuck/VT have done really well to be innovative and build a forward-moving company, I really believe that they will have great/lasting long-term success.