Varsity Tutors Reviews

Updated May 16, 2021

4.1
Varsity Tutors Founder and CEO Chuck Cohn
Chuck Cohn
Pros
  • "Can work from home (or anywhere with decent internet connection)(in 149 reviews)

• "Flexible hours and helpful staff(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay; hard to communicate with company(in 65 reviews)

• "Not as much compensation for online tutoring(in 62 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Great Place To Work

Dec 14, 2020 - Client Services Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

VT goes out of their way to take care of their employees. The salaries are competitive. You get to work from home and they provide all the tools and training to be successful. They listen to their employees to improve every aspect of the company.

Cons

Must be ready to work hard! Every employee gives 200% effort. This job can be stressful like any other sales jobs that has metrics and goals that need to be met each month. They give you all of the training and tools to be successful along with a good amount of time to figure out the job. If you cant keep up they will part ways with you.

24 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Varsity Tutors invests in their employees!

May 16, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company wants you to succeed. They have an excellent training program and it is easy to speak your mind. They value employee input at every level.

Cons

This company is ever changing as they adapt to clients needs and wants. You have to think on your toes and adapt to change.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Company to work for in every way.... except the pay.

Apr 21, 2021 - Academic Tutor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I receive dozens of potential students every week and choose whether I want to accept them or not. This provides incredible flexibility. I'm a PhD student, and the extra money I get from tutoring on Varsity Tutors goes a very long way. The online "classroom" you use to tutor students is absolutely the best such platform I have used. It has every feature you could want and runs very smoothly. The functionality of the platform truly impresses me and my students.

Cons

Pay is low. I am paid less than half what I would get if I were tutoring privately. And they pay even less for online tutoring, which doesn't make sense to me and seems like a low move on their part, especially since they are not even offering in person tutoring. I have had to contact various support teams on their end dozens of times. This is for many reasons, some their fault, some mine, and some of the cients. I would say about 75% of the time they respond within 24 hours as they promise. However, sometimes I will no hear back from them at all, and this is usually on the more important or urgent issues I am trying to deal with.

3 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Great Place

May 15, 2021 - LSAT Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours and easy way to get students

Cons

Having to figure out taxers on your own

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I'll never leave!

Apr 30, 2021 - Client Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

VT treats its employees like family. Compensation is very competitive and the level of appreciation you receive from the leadership staff is unlike any type of sales environment I've ever been in. There's no intimidation or browbeating - you're encouraged, developed, mentored, and rewarded.

Cons

Although I love working remotely and don't want to return to the office, VT had an amazing office atmosphere.

6. 5.0

Varsity Tutors Online Class Teacher Salary

May 6, 2021 - Online Teacher in Texarkana, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Pick your assignments Good pay Tech Support at some level

Cons

Use Zoom--must find a lot of your own training Difficult to miss a session; forfeit pay for 2 sessions Short contracts No benefits--pay your own taxes

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work.

Apr 22, 2021 - Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for first-time sales reps, they give you all the tools you need to learn how to sell along with qualified leads for the most part.

Cons

Sometimes they make too many changes at once which can become frustrating it seems as though we don't test out long enough to truly know the impact of any changes until they change something else. Goals can be extremely high and there is a lot of pressure but that's something good sales reps can handle.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great

May 2, 2021 - Moderator in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing work environment and culture

Cons

I can't think of any

9. 5.0

They Take Care of You

Feb 19, 2021 - Tutor Engagement Specialist in Omaha, NE
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, some of the best benefits I've ever had at a job, I love that it is completely remote, and flexible. Not only do you get PTO but they are flexible with swapping days/hours if needed which is really nice. I enjoy the culture, we work hard and have a lot of fun.

Cons

Can sometimes be a bit stressful. Especially balancing phone calls, inbound texts and placement work all at once. The management does a really good job trying to accommodate for this the best they can by giving us time off calls to focus on work. At times, though it can still get a bit overwhelming. For the most part one of the lower-stress jobs I've worked, just be ready to work hard.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid this place at all costs !

Apr 30, 2021 - Sales Representative in Kingsport, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are fun to work with, that’s about it.

Cons

No training whatsoever in what is expected of you. When you get hired, they make it seem like it’s their goal is to help people when it’s actually all about numbers. Management is horrible and they do not care for you as a person. One week, my manager said I was doing great and then exactly 4 days later, my performance was all of a sudden poor. I was also told I was “very” close to getting a full time position.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,038 Reviews