Varsity Tutors Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

203.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Varsity Tutors~431872
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "My hours are flexible and are centered solely around when my students want to have their tutoring sessions.(in 124 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling: you dictate your availability for tutoring and you schedule sessions within your timeframe(in 86 reviews)
  • "Many, many opportunities to get students.(in 50 reviews)
  • "Management is great and truly wants you to succeed.(in 50 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay (Considering I was expected to teach even the working professionals in Computer Science(in 232 reviews)
  • "They charge students $80 an hour while paying me only $20? Plus I still have to handle my own taxes and enjoys no benefit!(in 38 reviews)
  • "There's no training; I believe that Varsity Tutors hires tutors whom they feel already know what they are doing and can operate independently.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Advice to those joining: don't accept a low salary thinking you can increase it later.(in 25 reviews)
  • "Don't get excited thinking they will be closed and you will have time off.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Great place to work!

Apr 13, 2022 - Tutor Engagement Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Extremely flexible -Helping students all over the country to learn - The culture is very positive -Teammates and management are great -Great work life balance

Cons

-Starting pay isn't great but there are opportunities to increase

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Students, parents, and tutors are getting ripped off

May 3, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, opportunities to work from home

Cons

Most parents and students are completely unaware that the tutors are paid very little of the rate that is being charged for the sessions. I have heard the rate for tutors is still $15/hr for online lessons, which is now MINIMUM WAGE in some parts of the country. This is an unacceptably low wage to be paying PROFESSIONAL tutors! Worse, the parents (or students) who are paying FAR MORE (I've heard $50 to over $100/hr!) sometimes have expectations like individualized curriculums written for their students, etc, which Varsity does not pay tutors for at all, nor does it disclose this fact. And on the tutor's end, another con is that sometimes after a student is assigned, they never set up a first session. And if they do have regular sessions, Varsity harasses them constantly to buy more hours and freaks out if they go a week without a lesson. It's worse than a used car salesman or timeshare company!

3. 4.0
    Current Employee

Varsity tutors

May 15, 2022 - Student
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote Common paydays and times Flexible Many opportunities

Cons

Salary is low Saturated with tutors

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Not bad

Apr 2, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are always opportunities to tutor in various subjects and plenty of clients to take on. You can choose how many clients to take on at a time and there are opportunities to be substitute tutors when the original ones call out, which is an easy way to make some extra money.

Cons

The pay for each position isn't revealed until later or until the opportunity has passed. Depending on the opportunity, there isn't always clarity about what exactly the tutor should focus on.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company

May 12, 2022 - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home Good management team

Cons

Weekend and night hours Forced overtime

6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Easy but not lucrative

May 10, 2022 - Math Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Find students for you, easy to apply

Cons

Relatively low pay, contractor versus employee

7. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

It’s fine for some extra cash

Apr 25, 2022 - Online Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice interface and eager students

Cons

Students pay an insanely high price for the classes, and tutors make a tiny fraction of what students are paying. This makes the students’ expectations extremely high for the quality of classes, but is not enough to incentivise tutors to put in the extra work to deliver the highest quality lessons. If you’re just helping college kids with homework it’s fine, but some students expect a fully customised curriculum that would require hours of prep work outside of class and that is just not worth it. There are no lesson materials provided by varsity tutors for the subjects I teach (ESL and Spanish)

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee

Decent

May 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, variety in clients

Cons

Some spam requests for tutoring

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

So flexible, great for being a student!

Apr 18, 2022 - Class Moderator
    Business Outlook

Pros

I could make my calendar on a week-by-week basis which was so nice for being a graduate student. The team is small, so everyone is nice and cares about each other's well-being.

Cons

The team is almost a bit too small, sometimes we would get overwhelmed with a lot of work in the hours we did mark ourselves available.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company to work for.

Apr 27, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Caring leadership, light workload, decent raise with company equity.

Cons

Not anything bad, except I wish starting pay was at least $2 more.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,254 Reviews

Varsity Tutors Reviews FAQs

Varsity Tutors has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 2,394 reviews left anonymously by employees. 67% of employees would recommend working at Varsity Tutors to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Varsity Tutors employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Varsity Tutors. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

67% of Varsity Tutors employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Varsity Tutors 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Varsity Tutors to be management, career development, culture and the cons to be benefits, compensation.

Popular Careers with Varsity Tutors Job Seekers