KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Technical Account Manager

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "My hours are flexible and are centered solely around when my students want to have their tutoring sessions.(in 136 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling: you dictate your availability for tutoring and you schedule sessions within your timeframe(in 87 reviews)
  • "It is a great opportunity to help students everywhere and communicate with them on line.(in 54 reviews)
  • "Management is great and truly wants you to succeed.(in 52 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay (Considering I was expected to teach even the working professionals in Computer Science(in 241 reviews)
  • "They charge students $80 an hour while paying me only $20? Plus I still have to handle my own taxes and enjoys no benefit!(in 43 reviews)
  • "There's no training; I believe that Varsity Tutors hires tutors whom they feel already know what they are doing and can operate independently.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Advice to those joining: don't accept a low salary thinking you can increase it later.(in 27 reviews)
  • "Don't get excited thinking they will be closed and you will have time off.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

SDR1

Jun 21, 2022 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Autonomy and respect from management

Cons

Pay is somewhat competitive for this field, but with inflation it would help to be more

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Good

Jul 26, 2022 - Math Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours Decent Pay Good for side job virtual option

Cons

Infrequent pay boosts Long distances required sometimes

3. 4.0

Jul 30, 2022 - Academic Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working online was very convenient

Cons

The user interface could have been better

4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Varsity Tutors Tutor

Jul 27, 2022 - Tutor in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities to assist a diverse range of students with a diverse range of subjects

Cons

Salary is on the low end

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Draconian Boys' Club

Aug 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's hard to think about the pros of joining this company. You have an opportunity to make a difference in students' lives. Well, if they can afford the extremely steep cost (or hope that their school has federal funds to give them).

Cons

I wish I never joined Varsity Tutors. My role was not accurately marketed to me; I had literally zero tools to use in order to be successful in my job. There is no diversity and no employee resource groups. HR will tell you that they're "working on it" but ZERO traction was made in a year. That's ridiculous. I don't feel confident at all that this company will stay afloat post-covid. If you're looking for a "red flag" post, this one's it. No department is happy and turnover is crazy. If you're interviewing, ask why there's a vacancy in the first place.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Need to Race for Students

Aug 3, 2022 - Math Tutor in Bellingham, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since you work online, its at least flexible.

Cons

Its very hard to get hours because you only get a student if you click on the button faster than any other tutors

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company

Jul 10, 2022 - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing short of impressive for a company

Cons

I wouldn't say there are any

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great pay and benefits; work from home

Jul 6, 2022 - Tutor Engagement Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, incredible benefits, ability to work from home, great culture

Cons

Constantly changing goals, based on the market, requires a lot of flexibility

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall decent

Jul 27, 2022 - Tutor Sourcing Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team mates and Management is supportive

Cons

The work can be demanding.

10. 4.0

Team work

Jul 12, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone was willing to help each other

Cons

Clients could be difficult to work with

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,302 Reviews
</>Embed

Varsity Tutors Reviews FAQs

Varsity Tutors has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 2,493 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Varsity Tutors to a friend and 63% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Varsity Tutors employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Varsity Tutors. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

65% of Varsity Tutors employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Varsity Tutors 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Varsity Tutors to be management, career development, culture and the cons to be benefits, compensation.

Popular Careers with Varsity Tutors Job Seekers