Cover image for Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors

Engaged Employer

Varsity Tutors

Add a Review

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Nov 17, 2021

Technical Account Manager

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "My hours are flexible and are centered solely around when my students want to have their tutoring sessions.(in 142 reviews)
  • "This job is completely work from home and is flexible around a busy teaching schedule.(in 120 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling: you dictate your availability for tutoring and you schedule sessions within your timeframe(in 90 reviews)
  • "Remote work setting C level management is great(in 54 reviews)
  • "Many, many opportunities to get students.(in 52 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay (Considering I was expected to teach even the working professionals in Computer Science(in 269 reviews)
  • "They charge students $80 an hour while paying me only $20? Plus I still have to handle my own taxes and enjoys no benefit!(in 46 reviews)
  • "There's no training; I believe that Varsity Tutors hires tutors whom they feel already know what they are doing and can operate independently.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Advice to those joining: don't accept a low salary thinking you can increase it later.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Don't get excited thinking they will be closed and you will have time off.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great way to improve teaching experience

Jan 24, 2021 - Online Tutor in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, remote/online work, set your own schedule, choose your own topics to tutor

Cons

Lack of tutor training, pay is low for professional certification tutoring

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee

good

Nov 15, 2021 - Teacher Assistant in Brea, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible with my busy schedule

Cons

too low pay for me

3. Join the Varsity Tutors team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Tutor

Nov 2, 2021 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

A possibility for remote work and you can choose your own hours.

Cons

Relatively low pay considering what they charge their students.

5. 3.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Great in So Many Ways, Criminal in the End

Oct 27, 2021 - Academic Tutor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic online platform. Easy to connect with new clients. Seemingly endless available opportunities. Make your own schedule.

Cons

Demonstrably low pay. Only offer online tutoring. Tutors are paid around 20% of what clients pay for their sessions. This is criminally low compared to any other tutoring service, all of which pay their tutors 75 - 100%.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Contractor, more than 5 years

Questionable Practices

Nov 17, 2021 - Tutor in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Many opportunities Flexible schedule On-time payments Payments for last-minute cancellations and no-shows

Cons

Outrageously low pay barely meeting minimum wage and no opportunity to increase pay rate even with advanced education and seniority with company Clients have no idea how low tutor's pay rate is because they are paying a premium price to VT. Recently VT has contracted with a large number of non-profits to offer small-group and individual classes. I don't know what these companies are paying, but in my group's case, the majority of the time there are no students present. Naturally, I bill for the hour that I'm waiting for someone to show, but I highly doubt that the client is aware that their company is being billed for a tutor to sit idle for an hour. I would urge these companies to make VT accountable for the billed hours and the way in which students have been grouped into these classes as well as their attendance. The client (parent) is always right. Three times within the last two months, I have had clients decide that they want to decrease the time of their students' sessions. This, of course, means a decreased pay rate for the tutor. Rather than discuss this with the tutor, VT automatically agrees to decrease the hours and asks the tutor to bill for as little as 30 minutes which for an online session, means that the tutor is making $7.50 for a half-hour. Yes, folks, that's right - $7.50 for someone with two master's degrees and more than 40 years expeerience. Needless to say, I quit that gig immediately. When I complained to the VT rep, he stumbled over his words and said, "Well, we can't really tell the client that they can't decrease the hours." Perhaps not, but what you can do, VT, is say that you're going to continue to bill for the amount of time for which the client and tutor originally contracted, at least for a minimum amount of time. There has been at least one instant when the parent whom I trust told me that she had no idea that she had originally signed up for 2 hours, having thought that it was only 1. For VT, it's all about the sales. The learning platform which VT touts highly is awful. It frequently has glitches and the VT techs I have encountered are nice but really don't seem to be able to resolve many of the issues that I have had. The live hours that they are available also are inaccurate.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Contractor

A side hustle

Oct 26, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Time flexibility, large pool of students

Cons

Low pay for advanced courses

8. 4.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Good job for side hustle

Sep 28, 2021 - Tutor in Friendswood, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, online, work as much or as little as you want, great platform, they find clients for you, they have a lot of pre-existing material you can work with, responsive, lots of opportunity for math

Cons

Pay is low, not a lot of opportunity for social studies, little to no high school geometry content

9. 4.0
    Former Contractor

Tutor

Aug 27, 2021 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Varsity Tutors had great flexibility in hours and many options available to teach

Cons

Low Pay, especially relative to tutoring in-person

10. 4.0

Flexible Job

Aug 23, 2021 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a great job for tutors who lack significant experience in the field. The hours are extremely flexible and you can work as much or as little as you want.

Cons

The pay is low compared to most tutoring positions

11. 3.0