Cover image for Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors

Engaged Employer

Varsity Tutors

Add a Review

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Feb 2, 2023

77 Comments

Tech

632.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Varsity Tutors~431872
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Varsity Tutors? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Varsity Tutors employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "My hours are flexible and are centered solely around when my students want to have their tutoring sessions.(in 140 reviews)
  • "Flexible Work from home IT is helpful(in 126 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling: you dictate your availability for tutoring and you schedule sessions within your timeframe(in 89 reviews)
  • "Remote work setting C level management is great(in 57 reviews)
  • "Many, many opportunities to get students.(in 55 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay (Considering I was expected to teach even the working professionals in Computer Science(in 276 reviews)
  • "They charge students $80 an hour while paying me only $20? Plus I still have to handle my own taxes and enjoys no benefit!(in 47 reviews)
  • "There's no training; I believe that Varsity Tutors hires tutors whom they feel already know what they are doing and can operate independently.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Advice to those joining: don't accept a low salary thinking you can increase it later.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Don't get excited thinking they will be closed and you will have time off.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, more than 3 years

Very nice staff

Aug 6, 2022 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work there are super friendly and helpful.

Cons

Students tend to cancel last minute and this really disrupts your day.

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great to lure the young grads

Jan 15, 2019 - Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will have the start up vibe and all the sodas and food to eat for free! The culture is upbeat and young.

Cons

Don’t let the high reviews fool you. I did and it was opposite. As a rep your making, 180 calls a day and 3.5 talk time. You must work every other weekend. Everything is measured and then analyzed. It’s too much metics. You can’t twist someone hand to make them want tutoring by guilt trip or making the customer feel bad spending $55 a hour on a tutor. It’s a hard sell and I can say that because I’ve sold for the last 20 years. It’s a boiler room and hardcore sales that makes it look like a great place to work. The rah rah attitude isn’t for everyone and works on younger crowds like new grads that never held a real job. I get it. It’s not for everyone looking at a computer screen for 10 hours a day. The ping pong table and free food is great way to show you care however it’s just a way from employees burning out. You need to give more work life balance or you’ll find more people will just get up and leave once something better comes along.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Varsity Tutors team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

I love Varsity Tutors!

Dec 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Varsity Tutors is the best organization I could ever imagine working for. From the amazing people to the incredible benefits I can not say enough great things about Varsity Tutors. I work with some of the smartest, hardworking and most genuine people I have ever met. The people at Varsity tutors become more then your coworkers, they become your best friends and biggest motivators. Varsity Tutors goes out of their way to make sure their employees are happy at all times from catering in food to celebrating every win to having and incredible work life balance. Varsity Tutors always has your back and truly cares about their employees happiness.

Cons

I can not think of any cons working for Varsity Tutors.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexibility and Respect

Oct 9, 2020 - Tutor Engagement Specialist in Phila, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love being able to work remotely. Also, and probably most importantly, I feel respected by my leads and managers here. I have always been treated well, benefits are good, and I feel like my concerns are not only listened to, but responded to and resolved realistically. It is a fast paced environment and often you have to be comfortable doing things that are new, but when you are working on something new that is taken into account. I guess what I am trying to say is that the expectations are not unrealistic.

Cons

The only con I have is more of a personal one. I understand that VT is a corporation, and not that there are no philanthropic efforts, but I would like to see more. Also, the pay is not bad, but could be better. I think more cross training and shadowing of people with other positions and job descriptions would be great.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't

Oct 4, 2021 - Educational Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexibility when picking hours, willing to work around your schedule -Opportunities to work more hours

Cons

It is a glorified call center. Mind numbing work. Non-existent management. Draining. No work-life balance. Taking advantage of people with education backgrounds by stressing the idea that we are helping people. In reality, we are guilt tripping parents and students into purchasing more expensive packages. We were trained to sell 1:1 tutoring over small classes since it was more expensive. However, not all students benefit from this expensive 1:1 tutoring. Silly coming from a company that stresses individual learning needs, to not care about the learning needs of students when focusing on higher sale value. We were told our mission was to help people learn and provide individual learning support, while recommending products we know is not the most beneficial for that person. People in my cohort were fired without warning for not meeting quota when we just started and were told we didn't have a quota. Confusing. Trainers were disingenuous. But who can blame them, the company hires multiple cohorts a month with 20+ people each. Honestly, who can care about new hires when so many are constantly hired and fired like clockwork. For your mental and physical health, run the other way. Especially to those who love teaching and helping students. This is not for you. It is a facade. Making people believe that we are working for the good of the student and learning. If you have a conscience, simply don't. One aspect that I really really did not enjoy was the 'metrics'. I had someone direct message me about my activity being low when I never had low metrics. However, I was in training all day which explained that. I was basically told that I had to meet a mark by the end of the day or else. This sends the message that one slip up and you're out. That stress that someone is always watching and you can't fall under a certain number is bad for mental health and induces stress. There is a feature called 'idle time' where if you are not moving your keyboard and mouse the time adds up. I constantly was checking my metrics and time so that I wouldn't get that dreaded message. All sales companies care about metrics to a certain extent but this is not the way. As long as monthly quotas are met, people should not be held on such a short leash. We are people not robots. Being treated as such is not conducive for workplace success and employee moral. After quitting, I re-read all the reviews and they all resonated with me and were true. I thought that these bad reviews came from people who were incompetent and lazy. I am a hard working and very passionate about everything I do. In no means, am I incompetent or lack the ability to exceed in my work performance. However, I was wrong and foolish thinking that the reviews about this company were from misinformed individuals. They are all true and accurate to what this company is.

12 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Five Star Company Filled With Five Star People

Nov 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive management. Upper management truly care about their employees. CEO and Found Chuck Cohn is very impressive, driven, and personable. It's great to work for a company with such a passion to help people.