Cover image for Varsity Tutors

Varsity Tutors

Engaged Employer

Varsity Tutors

Add a Review

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Technical Account Manager

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "My hours are flexible and are centered solely around when my students want to have their tutoring sessions.(in 144 reviews)
  • "It is great to work from home with a variety of students from all over the country.(in 121 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling: you dictate your availability for tutoring and you schedule sessions within your timeframe(in 90 reviews)
  • "Remote work setting C level management is great(in 53 reviews)
  • "Great people and office location(in 50 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low pay (Considering I was expected to teach even the working professionals in Computer Science(in 268 reviews)
  • "They charge students $80 an hour while paying me only $20? Plus I still have to handle my own taxes and enjoys no benefit!(in 50 reviews)
  • "There's no training; I believe that Varsity Tutors hires tutors whom they feel already know what they are doing and can operate independently.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Advice to those joining: don't accept a low salary thinking you can increase it later.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Don't get excited thinking they will be closed and you will have time off.(in 6 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great company

Jun 18, 2021 - NCLEX Instructor in Milwaukee, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pros of this position are the ability to work from home, prompt payment twice per week, and the ability to earn bonus rates based on which clients you accept. I also appreciate not having to find my own clients.

Cons

The downsides are the relatively low reimbursement rate compared to working for yourself, the lack of ability to find out how many hours your client has available and the outcome of their certification exams (unless they share them with you), and the somewhat slow communication by the management and payment teams when issues come up.

Continue reading
  2. 4.0
    Current Temporary Employee

Salary

Nov 7, 2021 - Sales Representative in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

working from home, choosing your own schedule

Cons

Cold calling people on holidays and late nights

3. Join the Varsity Tutors team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

It's a lot like Uber. Basically an efficient and enticing scam.

Nov 15, 2021 - Tutor in Miami, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

They will hire just about anyone. You can be proficient in a subject and have good people skills and you can earn money virtually as a tutor. Working from home has its benefits

Cons

Let's say a client needs a tutoring session and they pay the site fee which is 50-95$ depending on the exam. The tutor starts our making between 15-21$ That is anywhere from 2/5ths to 1/4th of the total value of the session going to the person who is actually physically (or virtually) teaching as well as all of the outside time and effort put into developing the lesson plans.

5. 2.0
    Current Temporary Employee, less than 1 year

Sell for no commission

Oct 19, 2021 - Educational Sales Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent hourly Remote work from home Equipment provided

Cons

No commission On the phone entire shift Glitchy system - hard to maneuver

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

job

Sep 16, 2021 - Tutor in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

work from home and enjoy your passion

Cons

pay could be better than it is

7. 4.0

Decent Side Job

Sep 13, 2021 - Online Tutor in Warminster, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Able to work at your pace Gets to meet a lot of new people Able to work from home

Cons

Low salary especially compared to how much they charge students

8. 2.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.seasonal-current

Training is nothing like the job

Sep 11, 2021 - Educational Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

The employers are very friendly, the pay is good, it's a work from home position, they supply you with a laptop and headset

Cons

They force us to keep the price of services a secret from customers until the end of a consultation, which can last around 20 minutes, even if they ask upfront and then train us to haggle them down while feeding us the idea that the customers are usually okay with that. The first part is consultation, the last is purely a sales pitch and we're made to think that it isn't. It upsets a lot of customers that after they tell us they won't be able to afford our services that we are pushed to talk about different packages, knowing it takes away from the sincerity of the initial consultation. It's upsetting to customers to feel like their being fed a sales pitch and it hurts me as an employee to feel like if I don't do this, I could get in trouble. Customers get upset, talk down to me, and hang up mid conversation because they know we won't stop. If I were a consumer I would be just as upset

9. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Tough to get Started

Aug 29, 2021 - Online Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The interview process was straightforward - It is a decent work from home opportunity

Cons

- It's difficult to get that first client, expect to spend a week or two applying to opportunities before you get a student.

Continue reading
  10. 4.0
    Former Temporary Employee

Not bad but not perfect

Aug 13, 2021 - Educational Sales Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

They offer a nice flexible work-from-home ability, technology is provided, excellent hourly rates, and there is a positive environment from the whole team.

Cons

There can be a feeling of needing to always be available for overtime because they're constantly asking for people to cover weekends (you aren't required to but there are lots of repeated requests), the training can feel a bit rushed since it's only about 4-5 days, converting from temporary/seasonal to full-time can be difficult because you need to hit certain metrics over the course of your time with them and if you get into an early hole it can be very hard to dig yourself out. The HR & IT teams don't always seem to be in good communication or very speedy in processing necessary things.

11. 5.0