KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Varsity Tutors

Engaged Employer

Varsity Tutors

Add a Review

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 149 of over 2,177 reviews

3.8
Varsity Tutors Founder and CEO Chuck Cohn
Chuck Cohn
Pros
  • "Can work from home (or anywhere with decent internet connection)(in 149 reviews)

• "Flexible hours and helpful staff(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay; hard to communicate with company(in 65 reviews)

• "Not as much compensation for online tutoring(in 62 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

227 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Varsity Tutors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Great Place To Work

Dec 14, 2020 - Client Services Manager in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

VT goes out of their way to take care of their employees. The salaries are competitive. You get to work from home and they provide all the tools and training to be successful. They listen to their employees to improve every aspect of the company.

Cons

Must be ready to work hard! Every employee gives 200% effort. This job can be stressful like any other sales jobs that has metrics and goals that need to be met each month. They give you all of the training and tools to be successful along with a good amount of time to figure out the job. If you cant keep up they will part ways with you.

61 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Great place to work

Jan 21, 2021 - Academic Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Able to work from home, I can call, send a text message, or email in case emergencies arise

Cons

If a tutor cancels a lesson within less than 24 hours, then your required to give a free lesson to the student.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Easy and Fun

Jan 8, 2021 - Tutor in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Complete independence to set hours and to take on students whose tutoring needs align with your skill set. Work from home. Responsive, helpful tech support team. Ideal part-time job for a college student, recent grad, or anyone with free time who wants some extra cash and did well in school.

Cons

Not enough pay to be a full-time job. Tutoring requires unique communication skills and knowledge of subject matter that some people may not possess.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Still a job, but a good one.

Dec 21, 2020 - Client Care Representative in Mesa, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love working from home. Great team, and leadership is very involved without being micromanaging. I also enjoy having some freedom in controlling my own workflow.

Cons

Communication between teams could be better, but that is currently a work in progress.

6 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Awful Experience

Jan 11, 2021 - Account Manager in Manhattan, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Able to work from home

Cons

Glorified telemarketer, high turn-over, lack of guidance

11 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Working at Varsity Tutors is Amazing

Nov 18, 2020 - Training Lead in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at Varsity Tutors for many reasons! Their mission is truly to help everyone learn and they believe that education is valuable and can change lives. At Varsity, I get to help people accomplish their goals and dreams and there is no better feeling. Varsity Tutors also really cares about their employees. They really do invest in each person's growth and want everyone to succeed. The job is also very flexible because you are able to work from home!

Cons

There are really few cons and nothing worth noting.

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fabulous company to be a part of!

Nov 2, 2020 - Tutor Engagement Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours. Great coworkers. Work from home. Room for growth.

Cons

Honestly, I have not had any issues whatsoever!

4 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Contractor, more than 5 years

Worked with them 6 years, then they fired me with no explanation.

Nov 13, 2020 - Online Tutor in Phoenix, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home Can tutor advanced subjects to college and older students

Cons

· Poor pay ($15/hr for online, and $20/hr in-person) · No advancement for tutors willing to do full-time work · Declining number of tutoring opportunities (surprising, since COVID has made online education more highly demanded) · Very difficult to get a hold of someone when there are account-related problems. This only confirms one's suspicions VT is a Ponzi scheme. · After 6 years, they fired me for no reason. After a few months of not receiving new tutoring opportunities and contacting their peons via phone several times, Varsity Tutors finally sent an email saying they have "opted not to enter into a new independent contractor agreement with" me "upon the expiration of" my "current contract." My current contract, ICA (independent contractor agreement), doesn't list an expiration date.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I absolutely love my company

Oct 12, 2020 - Education Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love our product, proven results, work from home, friendships, great leadership, we are able to help students each and every day to help them reach their goals, we continue to change because we continue to grow and I love it. We always look for better ways to improve our product and services. Love my manager, love our leadership. Great place to work

Cons

flexible hours, and growth opportunities.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic place to work if you're self-driven

Sep 18, 2020 - Mathematics Tutor in Alamogordo, NM
      Business Outlook

Pros

Varsity is very hands-off; everything is between you and the student Work from home and in your PJs if desired. As long as you're a good tutor, students do NOT care The more you work, the more opportunities you get Paid when students cancel or don't show up Paid twice weekly When you contact Varsity with any issues, they address the issues quickly Varsity does a good job helping you keep your schedule straight

Cons

Varsity is very hands-off; everything is between you and the student (some people may not like this) Pay could definitely be higher based on what they charge students Have to calculate your own taxes

4 people found this review helpful