VaynerMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

VaynerMedia CEO Gary Vaynerchuk
Gary Vaynerchuk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The emphasis on work/life balance heavily skewed towards work (in 8 reviews)

• Didn't we get over that in high school (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get opportunities you wouldn't get at other agencies. The environment is supportive and collaborative. I feel like I'll always have a connection there even if I leave.

Cons

Lack of strong leadership, creative work tends to be mediocre. In a way, the company doesn't feel like a real job, but more like school. You learn a lot and are supported, but when it comes down to it, the work suffers from lack of experience and senior level people are not equipped to lead successfully.

Advice to Management

Hire strong leaders, don't over promote

2. "Project Manager"

Pros

People, clients, office, snacks, ability to be one's self at work.

Cons

Work/life balance. Wrong people in senior roles.

Advice to Management

No more re-orgs. Focus on empowering the right people in the right roles.

3. "Still happy after 4 years and 2 teams at VM"

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

Great people, amazing opportunities, if you find your footing here and the right team, it's awesome!

Cons

We are growing very fast, so there are long hours compensating for bodies who could help

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Social Media Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Media Manager in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gary is awesome and easy to work with.

Cons

Need more opportunity to grow through the company ranks.

Advice to Management

Give star employees room for advancement

"Poor Management + Nepotism"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

– Dog friendly
    – Free snacks
    – Casual atmosphere

Cons

– Nepotism
    – Sexism
    – Racism
    – Incompetent, untrustworthy, and unreliable HR
    – Leaders promote passive aggressive communication
    – Hypocritical leaders that preach but don't follow
    – Exploitation of low level employees

Advice to Management

Don't allow married couples/families to work in the same office if they are in management positions.

Hire experienced HR, not someone fresh out of college.

Hire people that are not white.

Realize that in this "honey empire," are nothing but passive aggressive people with their own cliques and personal ties, that tries to stab someone in the back rather than openly working things out.

"Not for everyone"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

Good effort on building company culture

Cons

Very unstable place. People are constantly afraid to lose their jobs because of the lack of information on what's really going on. Too many people with big egos.

"a lot to be improved"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

fairly decent work environment

Cons

trying to run a corporate company as if it a bedroom startup with the non stop hustle attitude.. relax

Advice to Management

increase pay, improve work life balance...trying to pressure all workers to "hustle" 24/7

"Great fast pace learning, but terrible management"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Always on the cutting edge of social media
    -The whole company is helpful and willing to teach you things

Cons

-Terrible management
    -One bad review from your piers or manager can really hinder your growth

Advice to Management

Consider more management training.

"The Creative Department"

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While at VaynerMedia, I had the pleasure of meeting and befriending several incredibly talented individuals. From creative, to paid, to account - the ability to learn from this talent pool was a unique and memorable experience.

Cons

As time progressed, I quickly picked up that one's talent and speed were easily exploited, across several departments. The emphasis on work/life balance heavily skewed towards work. The notion to be a first-mover outweighed solid, thoughtful, successful ideas. The salaries fell far below market rate. The idea that your time had little value, your thoughts shallow, and your ideas transient, is the ultimate reason why I longer contribute my art to a place that would recycle the paper it was on to brainstorm a trendy meme.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If you manage even a single individual, listen to them. The are more of the future than you.

"The Kool Aid Is Strong"

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- CEO genuinely cares, or at least thinks he does. Problems are in execution, not intent. He's a sincere, nice guy.
    - Ability to work with amazing, attention-grabbing clients
    - Will look good on your resume
    - You will learn a ton about how social media actually works
    - You'll be able to jump from this to a good job, if you can put in the time
    - Unlimited vacation is awesome (so long as you use it)
    - No bureaucratic nonsense (but keep reading...)
    - Very relaxed dress code

Cons

- The "hustle" mantra is shouted from on high and resonates through every level of the organization, which is fine if you're an independent entrepreneur attempting to start a business or pursue a dream. But it is NOT a way to run a company.

- "We're a family first, and a company second." No, you're not. You're a company. We already have families, many of whom would like to see us come home at reasonable hours.

- They say they respect the work/life balance, and they attempt to do this by making work a place you'll love to come in to every day. An admirable aspiration, but in practice this results in work being your life. You are always on call. Period.

- Are you a creative? Get ready to have four hours of work dropped on you fifteen minutes before the end of the day because no one wanted to tell the client their request is ridiculous.

- It's never said outright, but there's an unspoken message under everything: "There's nowhere else like us, we're the best job you'll ever have, and if you leave, you'll hate it and we'll never take you back." As someone who's been on the outside for over two years now: they ARE like everyone else, you WILL enjoy your next job, and you WON'T want to go back. Also, the pay out here is MUCH better.

- On that note, crap pay. Especially when you consider how many hours you'll actually put in.

- Other negative reviews on here say, "very cliquey," while many of the positive reviews say, "this place isn't for everyone, but if it's for you, you'll love it." Guess which one was in the clique?

- CEO frequently says, "We'll do better work faster for less," and says it like it's a point of pride. But agreeing to do better work for less doesn't magically make the time- and resource-cost go down, it just passes that cost down the line. Everyone is extremely overbooked and stressed out all the time. The company's point of pride is resting on the backs of its people in the trenches.

- There weren't enough desks at one point. Seriously, people were sitting on the floor and taking meetings in coat closets. The cost-cutting here is absurd.

- Unlimited vacation is great, but the hoops you had to jump through to take advantage of it were crazy. Very few people took advantage of it - most employees take less vacation per year than employees of regular companies.

- They will take absolutely everything from you that you allow them to. Your sanity, your happiness, your time. They justify it by saying they're like no one else, they're a big family, they have the happiest employees, and so on. It's not worth it. Having a foosball table in your office and the ability to wear shorts to work isn't worth being stripped of control over your personal life. Which you will lose.

Advice to Management

- Stop using "Hustle Mode: On" as a management strategy.

- Stop acting like you're a scrappy little start up, you're not. You're an international advertising agency with five offices on two continents.

- Respect people's personal lives, and respect people who don't want to buy into the "work family" thing.

- WE GET IT, YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE CHANNEL