VaynerMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
VaynerMedia CEO Gary Vaynerchuk
Gary Vaynerchuk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Benefits-wise, unlimited vacation is a huge perk" (in 19 reviews)

• "Unlimited vacation policy, great people and culture, cool brands to work on, can be a collaborative place to work" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is non existent" (in 9 reviews)

• "It felt like I was in high school through my year of employment at Vayner" (in 13 reviews)

1. "An incredible 4 years at an innovative, people first agency"

Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people are hands down the BEST part of this company; the expertise they provide, the energy they bring, the dedication to their teams, and the kindness they show. This is rare to have so many people in one space be so amazing
    -You can grow quickly at this company because of the opportunities you're given. Vayner is very much a sink or swim company - and if you swim, you'll be continuously rewarded with new and more challenging opportunities
    -There's the opportunity to work on exciting, household name brands and projects that allow you to work with many different departments at the company
    -New senior talent is coming in (SVP, EVP level) & they are changing the way things are run for the better; some of those hires that I've worked with have been some of the best mentors / employees I have ever worked with in my professional career. They're working to make sure the right people are working on the right things - not just slotting you in to a certain account or project because there's an opening. They are also working to put processes in place that are expectations at other agencies (e.g. quarterly account reviews) that will help prime employees for their next job move after Vayner
    -The company does innovative work for clients & always has a finger on the pulse on everything - e.g. the moment Facebook drops a new feature, you know Vayner & their clients will be on it ASAP
    -Gary's constantly trying and investing in new things depending on where consumer attention is, which makes it exciting to be a part of the company - with this there's opportunity to go to different teams if you're a better fit for something and have put your time in
    -Gary REALLY does care, it's not a facade - if you really need something, the best thing to do is go to him - I wish I took advantage of that much earlier but glad I did when I really needed to. He will do anything for Vayner employees - he's a great contact to have during & after your time at Vayner

Cons

-As quick as Vayner says they are, things take time here as the company still tries to figure out the best process for some things. Compared to the other big, more traditional agencies I'm sure we're faster, but when things that you personally request take an exorbitant amount of time, it can make you feel that you're not a priority (even though that's not the case). The challenge here is that the communication piece sometimes isn't always the best and could be improved upon in terms of sharing the status with affected employees, etc.
    -Some decisions are made in a vacuum - I was a part of some teams where decisions were made where people were put in positions they were not qualified for (and hadn't received positive team feedback), and team members that should have been consulted in those decisions were not
    -The company hangs on to some people for too long. There have been people that I've given strong feedback on and know that others have as well that are still at the company in some capacity. Understanding these decisions are complicated, take time and there are plenty more layers that we don't know about that go into it - but it comes off as the company not listening to feedback
    -To that point, there is a feedback issue at Vayner. Because we prioritize heart, which is amazing, there's the challenge of giving constructive feedback. People don't want to offend others, people are best friends with their managers, etc. - makes it tough to give feedback that is necessary, and THEN when there are people that DO give strong feedback, they can be seen as "mean" or too forthcoming, or too tough of a manager or employee
    -There needs to be more knowledge sharing across departments, and I think this has gotten more challenging the bigger the company has gotten. There are plenty of creatives that don't know anything about paid media and vice versa, as one example. As the company grows and wants to be a top tier agency, this needs to be an expectation in order to create standout work and know how to sell it in, too

Advice to Management

-Continue prioritizing the people & ensure they are in the right positions at the company
    -Figure out the feedback problem & take feedback seriously when it's flagged
    -Communicate more - it doesn't need to be to the entire company, but people need to know that you're paying attention and are on it (even if there's not a solution yet)
    -Involve necessary senior team members in decision making that's going to impact a significant amount of people on a team

2. "Talented, managed poorly"

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Surprisingly good at-bats for certain teams
    There are decent, talented, hardworking and creative people at almost all levels
    Culture at the employee level is not bad
    Work-life balance depends on team but can be fine

Cons

Still has a reputation as a no-talent sweatshop
    Legacy Vayner folks aren't up to snuff
    Proximity to Gary and evangelizing Garyness are treated as substitutes for innovation and hard work
    Definitely some misogyny
    Lack of direction and structure--creative/creation as core competency is subordinated to increasingly desperate mentorship/consultancy/growth-hacking plans

Advice to Management

Refocus.

"Toxic Environment"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were amazing but they've all since left or have been laid off. I enjoyed some of the office "culture" events they had and the holiday party was fun. That's about it.

Cons

I used to dread coming to work. This place will work you to the bone for no praise or rewards. HR is a bunch of under qualified kids and it's almost funny how they "handled" situations. They would give me additional assignments I wasn't qualified to do and when I spoke up about it, I was ignored and told "oh well! just deal with it". My team was treated like work horses. On our "appreciation day" we were given candy in an old cup they dug up from the merch closet and no company shout out. It was disrespectful and degrading.

The internal office politics are beyond malicious. The c-suite execs are all misogynistic sociopaths that will lie to your face and start rumors about employees. The "drama" was unreal, I felt like I was in high school again. There was a lot of back stabbing and good people were laid off under the guise of "budget cuts". Unless you have been at the company for 5+ years, are in Gary's cult or an executive, you will be underpaid.

Don't expect affordable health insurance either. Unlimited vacation was nice until your supervisor was away every week vacationing in Europe or Asia (must be nice to get paid enough to do that!) and leaving you with all the work.

The "bro" culture made the work environment toxic for women. No amount of "equality" campaigning or "women power" events will change that. If you're a woman, expect to get paid close to nothing in comparison to the men. I was literally doing the job of a man who was making twice as much as me. He also got the job because he was friends with an executive. If you're expecting to interview here, run the other way. It's a waste of time because you only get hired if you know someone with power here.

After working at a decent company the past year, it's like night and day looking back at my time at Vayner. I don't dread going to work anymore- I actually love it! Vayner almost sucked my happiness dry but I left before it could. Best decision of my life. I can't wait to see this ship finally sink.

Advice to Management

Hire more women in managerial roles and evaluate the misogyny across the company.

"It's Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The day to day individuals that you work with are amazing. My direct teammates were not only talented, but supportive in every way, and I've walked away with genuine connections, friends, and a support network.

There are a lot of opportunities to touch a lot of work and a lot of types of work - I'll give them that.

Cons

There is ZERO transparency. Literally none. It's astonishing that no one knows what's going on and allows rumors, gossip, and drama to run amuck in that office. And the few times they attempt transparency through an all hands meeting we often times feel yelled at or punished for wanting to know what is going on at the place where we spend all of our time.

They work you to the bone. I was constantly late at the office with super tight timelines, then taking my computer home to continue working, only to also have my computer with me all weekend to once again, continue working. The resourcing team is useless, meaning there's no outside support, and more often than not they'll also try and dump some other useless assignment on you. Social takeovers are mandatory - no if's and or but's. So on top of your day-to-day you also have to post for VM social across multiple channels each day.

The mind games are real. There's a lot of back and forth and a lot of being told one thing and then finding out another. There's no consistency with what's being said and it leads to a lot of frustration, confusion, and unnecessary stress. There's a lot of backstabbing and back talk and playing favorites. If you do not kiss up, your days are numbered.

Leadership is definitely missing. There are too many inexperienced "managers" and "senior leadership" members that have risen up the ranks at VM far too quickly.

There's a high turnover rate, not just with employees but with the structure of the agency. They don't stick to a model long enough to see if it works. And giving juniors midlevel titles is by far one of the most frustrating initiatives the've imposed. Juniors don't benefit from a higher title outside of VM because they aren't qualified/experienced enough yet and it's a slap to the face to those who are at midlevel and worked hard to get there.

The net-net of the situation is that if former employees leave there and consider themselves a survivor, then you should just avoid the head ache to begin with.

Advice to Management

Actually communicate with your employees and treat them with respect. Don't blame, yell, punish, and burn out your employees. You aren't going to retain talent if everyone is running for the hills.

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - Paid Media Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Paid Media Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasionally you get big accounts to work on, but for the most part, it's clients with low budgets.

Cons

No perks as in:
    No bonuses
    Catered lunches, happy hours, team outings are rare
    No significant others are allowed at holiday parties
    Employer barely covers cost of health insurance
    No company discounts

Senior leadership + CEO of company does nothing to make Vayner a desirable place to work.

Advice to Management

Agencies are competitive. If you don't want to lose people, pay better and offer more perks. Employees work long hours, commute long distances, so show them you care. Make it worth it to keep moral up.

6. "Many opportunities, up to you to step up."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Change is constant. As the company grows, it's often trying different processes and figuring out what works best. That can be unsettling, but also an opportunity to learn and grow.

-There are plenty of opportunities for growth and the company actually cares about helping you achieve your professional goals, but it's up to you to put in the work.

-There's a good amount of diversity at VaynerMedia. Of course they should continue hiring more diverse talent, but you can tell the company values people with different backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. In the last two years, there's been a lot more women leadership positions and diversity across departments and roles.

-The culture is becoming more mature and reflective of where the company is going. There are many cultural events organized for employees and many opportunities to get involved. The Office Team is super friendly and hardworking. If you want, you can find incredible mentors.

Overall, you can make of the experience what you want. If you're having problems, tell someone you're comfortable with . If it's going well and you want more opportunities, ask for them. Leadership actually cares about your opinion, so you should voice it frequently. Annual reviews are the right time to do that, but you can give feedback and ask for it often.

Cons

-In the last year or so there's been increased turnover.

-Salary negotiations rarely happen outside of annual reviews, so make sure you're comfortable with your starting rate.

-Growth and employee success fluctuates a lot from team to team and depends on what accounts you work for. Be sure to ask what type of work you'll be doing upfront.

-There's a lot of ebb and flow, find productive ways to keep busy during the slow points because people will notice if you make the extra effort.

Advice to Management

-Continue to hire diverse talent.
    -Hold managers more accountable and responsible for keeping their team motivated and inspired.
    -Push back on clients more and defend the work. VaynerMedia is known for its speed, and know that it's getting more and more recognition for the great work, there should be a healthy balance between the two.

7. "Great learning experience"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

Learned a lot in this position. Fun work environment.

Cons

Sometimes have to stay past work hours if it's really busy. Could have better benefits

"A Nightmare"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some nice people that worked there, but they've all been laid off at this point. Unlimited vacation and sick days are a perk I guess? But they will scare you into not taking any vacation and harass you for for taking more than one sick day a year. Oh wait, is this still the pros section?

Cons

Please believe me when I tell you that this company does not care about you or your wellbeing in any capacity. Initially they will dazzle you with ping pong tables, no dress code, and casual beers, but that will quickly fade. They worked me into the ground until I had nothing left—no joy, no sense of reality. It's like this deranged millennial cult and you don't realize how bad things really are until you've broken free and actually worked at a real company.

The pay was actually laughable for the work I was doing. They knew I was doing the work of a position higher than the one I was in, but kept giving me the runaround when I begged for a mid or end-of-year review because they wanted to keep me on a salary that was barely livable. When I finally gave up and decided to leave, they hired two people to replace me.

Gary is a narcissistic megalomaniac and he does not care about you. Unless you're a part of his crew. Or you're his brother. Or you're one of his brother's friends. The nepotism at the company is actually astounding. If you're a part of the entourage, you're golden. You'll probably even be a creative director by age 23 (I'm really not exaggerating here). If not, prepare to be worked into the ground and laid off after a year or two.

And a note to all women/POC—this place is a sea of white men who will get paid more money than god to do the same work as you.

"Well-intentioned, but work to do"

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

Gary is a good person and wants to foster a positive work environment. Perks like free food, unlimited pto, etc.

Cons

Young HR people who aren’t accountable, little to no consideration of who is best suited to work on what. Tl;dr, talented folks being used the wrong way, for the most part.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia (More than a year)

Pros

HR, benefits, free food at all times, core company structure, people, the CEO, the office, good company size and decently sized creative dept.

Cons

The CCO, certain Group CDs, the creative architecture team sucks, the CCO again, not too diverse, cronyism and bro-iness abound.

Advice to Management

Either destroy the creative department completely and work exclusively with VM studio or put it in the hands of someone competent. The slow death wasn't fun.