VaynerMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
VaynerMedia CEO Gary Vaynerchuk
Gary Vaynerchuk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Benefits-wise, unlimited vacation is a huge perk" (in 19 reviews)

• "Unlimited vacation policy, great people and culture, cool brands to work on, can be a collaborative place to work" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is non existent" (in 9 reviews)

• "I was underpaid by industry standards, atmosphere was high school-ish at times" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Sour grapes"

Current Employee - Media in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media in New York, NY

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've worked at BBDO, 72, Resolution and Huge over the past 9 years. Trust me when I say it doesn't get much better in the industry...

Cons

Diversity amongst senior leadership is lacking (but changing).

Advice to Management

Ignore the vocal minority

2. "Many opportunities, up to you to step up."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Change is constant. As the company grows, it's often trying different processes and figuring out what works best. That can be unsettling, but also an opportunity to learn and grow.

-There are plenty of opportunities for growth and the company actually cares about helping you achieve your professional goals, but it's up to you to put in the work.

-There's a good amount of diversity at VaynerMedia. Of course they should continue hiring more diverse talent, but you can tell the company values people with different backgrounds, ethnicities, etc. In the last two years, there's been a lot more women leadership positions and diversity across departments and roles.

-The culture is becoming more mature and reflective of where the company is going. There are many cultural events organized for employees and many opportunities to get involved. The Office Team is super friendly and hardworking. If you want, you can find incredible mentors.

Overall, you can make of the experience what you want. If you're having problems, tell someone you're comfortable with . If it's going well and you want more opportunities, ask for them. Leadership actually cares about your opinion, so you should voice it frequently. Annual reviews are the right time to do that, but you can give feedback and ask for it often.

Cons

-In the last year or so there's been increased turnover.

-Salary negotiations rarely happen outside of annual reviews, so make sure you're comfortable with your starting rate.

-Growth and employee success fluctuates a lot from team to team and depends on what accounts you work for. Be sure to ask what type of work you'll be doing upfront.

-There's a lot of ebb and flow, find productive ways to keep busy during the slow points because people will notice if you make the extra effort.

Advice to Management

-Continue to hire diverse talent.
    -Hold managers more accountable and responsible for keeping their team motivated and inspired.
    -Push back on clients more and defend the work. VaynerMedia is known for its speed, and know that it's getting more and more recognition for the great work, there should be a healthy balance between the two.

3. "Great learning experience"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

Learned a lot in this position. Fun work environment.

Cons

Sometimes have to stay past work hours if it's really busy. Could have better benefits

"A Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were some nice people that worked there, but they've all been laid off at this point. Unlimited vacation and sick days are a perk I guess? But they will scare you into not taking any vacation and harass you for for taking more than one sick day a year. Oh wait, is this still the pros section?

Cons

Please believe me when I tell you that this company does not care about you or your wellbeing in any capacity. Initially they will dazzle you with ping pong tables, no dress code, and casual beers, but that will quickly fade. They worked me into the ground until I had nothing left—no joy, no sense of reality. It's like this deranged millennial cult and you don't realize how bad things really are until you've broken free and actually worked at a real company.

The pay was actually laughable for the work I was doing. They knew I was doing the work of a position higher than the one I was in, but kept giving me the runaround when I begged for a mid or end-of-year review because they wanted to keep me on a salary that was barely livable. When I finally gave up and decided to leave, they hired two people to replace me.

Gary is a narcissistic megalomaniac and he does not care about you. Unless you're a part of his crew. Or you're his brother. Or you're one of his brother's friends. The nepotism at the company is actually astounding. If you're a part of the entourage, you're golden. You'll probably even be a creative director by age 23 (I'm really not exaggerating here). If not, prepare to be worked into the ground and laid off after a year or two.

And a note to all women/POC—this place is a sea of white men who will get paid more money than god to do the same work as you.

"Well-intentioned, but work to do"

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

Gary is a good person and wants to foster a positive work environment. Perks like free food, unlimited pto, etc.

Cons

Young HR people who aren’t accountable, little to no consideration of who is best suited to work on what. Tl;dr, talented folks being used the wrong way, for the most part.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Creative in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia (More than a year)

Pros

HR, benefits, free food at all times, core company structure, people, the CEO, the office, good company size and decently sized creative dept.

Cons

The CCO, certain Group CDs, the creative architecture team sucks, the CCO again, not too diverse, cronyism and bro-iness abound.

Advice to Management

Either destroy the creative department completely and work exclusively with VM studio or put it in the hands of someone competent. The slow death wasn't fun.

"Fast, dynamic, finding its feet and becoming a force"

Current Employee - Group Creative Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Group Creative Director in New York, NY

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have talent and drive you can do anything you want. No barriers if you have vision and rationale.

Cons

Still finding its feet and structure. Can be chaotic at times, but if you are strong and single minded you can push through these.

Advice to Management

Communication between leads and then to the wider team could be improved.

"Amateur in every way"

Former Employee - Production in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Production in New York, NY

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice offices, my pay was very good although I certainly can’t say the same for everyone. They have a good Xmas party. Ummm... I’m trying here!

Cons

Constant layoffs. Terrible, I mean terrible creative and production is even worse. Commercial production Dept run by reality tv guys - all men. They fired the two amazing women who were running production and replaced them with men.

Young, inexperienced, entitled kiddos heading depts. just no good work out of this place.

"Good Place to work if you're not afraid of change"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at VaynerMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited vacation policy, great people and culture, cool brands to work on, can be a collaborative place to work.

Cons

Lots of change, sometimes not for the better, but Gary is willing to admit when he's made a mistake and will change things back (or for the better). Not every role has mentorship and growth trajectory, but I believe this is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and the creative pool method doesn't work.

"Worked at Vayner Full Time"

I worked at VaynerMedia full-time

Pros

- Good PTO, Great People, Some cool clients, Laid back atmosphere on a lot of teams, get to work on a wide range of projects

Cons

- Underpay lower level employees, a lot of chaos in terms of management, lack of mentorship, up and down workload

Advice to Management

Formulate a plan and stick to it. Add more transparency so employees don't feel like they're constantly left in the dark about what the 6 month plan is.