Vecna Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2017

5.0
Deborah Theobald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Vecna allows good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• The community service is fantastic, and attracts the right type of people to work at Vecna (in 14 reviews)

Cons

1. "Senior systems enginner"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hi tech flexible good benefits at alewife

Cons

I can not think of any

Advice to Management

Keep health benefits they are great

"A company lead with integrity"

Former Employee - SQL/Jasper Report Developer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - SQL/Jasper Report Developer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vecna Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They give "happiness" surveys to their employees to ensure everyone is happy in their job; have a great performance review system with positive feedback; very positive and motivating environment; the CEO is a man of integrity; they pay their employees to do community service. Very unique company.

Cons

Location is congested traffic-wise if you're driving; but it's a great location if you can take the Red Line

"Exciting time of change and opportunities, great caring culture"

Current Employee - Team Member in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Team Member in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed but professional culture. Energetic team. Lots of opportunity for growth. Caring culture. Management is regrouping for everyone's success. People matter at Vecna. Opportunity to do what you are good at, what you like and make a difference.

Cons

No employer or job is perfect. Change is tough but it is everywhere - not just at Vecna - and it means there are opportunities for current and new employees. Vecna team members have gone through ups and downs over the past 1-2 years but persistence and hard work now looks like it is paying off.

Advice to Management

Keep discussing/living/embodying and highlighting company philosophy of Excellence Integrity and Service. Group updates help everyone get a sense that we are making progress.

4. "Ch-ch-changes"

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Things are changing, for the better! It seems like there's a big push to be more present in the robotics community which is awesome because my coworkers and i are doing amazing work if i do say so myself.

Cons

Clean out the network, I can never find anything.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring! I think there's lots of work to do.

"Great place, great people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Opportunity to choose projects
    -Free food in the kitchen
    -Food trucks every day
    -Best health insurance
    -Some of my coworkers bake desserts a lot!
    -My supervisor is super approachable
    -Managers ask for ideas and suggestions a lot

Cons

Time tracking is the worst. If you don't have a task, you can't really do work. Can we streamline this process please?

Advice to Management

See above for my timetracking suggestion. Also maybe designate time for sick days instead of grouping it into PTO.

6. "Smooth Sailing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So we acquired VGo and things are going well. I think everyone is still trying to figure things out but so far i think everything is going smoothly. The VGo people who came over are very nice and want to learn about Vecna and we want to learn about VGo. Management has been open to moving around and new responsibilities (which I want.) Health insurance is the best!

Cons

Paying for T passes now, but not full price, so at least there's SOME discount.

Advice to Management

I know it takes time, but transitioning VGo into our daily operations will be nice and not so confusing about the two lines of business.

"On the Up and Up"

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will say morale was a little low earlier in the year, but it is definitely improving. Some peoples' positions have been shifted around but I think that's smart decision making.

The benefits are really great. I love not having to worry about paying ridiculous amounts out of pocket for health care. Flex time is good so I can bring my kids to their appointments, summer camps, etc without having to take a whole day off. Always something to eat in the kitchen too.

My supervisor is really approachable and so are the execs. They really take my suggestions to heart.

Cons

Time tracking is annoying and I don't get the point of it. Also waiting for tasking. It seems like all my tasks have to go through a few people which takes forever because everyone is so busy.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to us, we have good ideas! Would love another roundtable soon to just talk and ask questions.

"Having fun making a real difference in the world"

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Vecna has a lot of opportunities for an ambitious person to grow.
    You get to work on exciting projects that make a difference in the world.
    The community service is fantastic, and attracts the right type of people to work at Vecna.
    The clubs and activities help build great relationships if you are into that type of thing.
    Best benefits in the world
    Good supervisors and managers to work with

Cons

Vecna isn't a great place for people who need to be told exactly what to do with every minute of their day.

Advice to Management

Bigger Bonus!

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time

Pros

Leadership continues to push the company in the right direction and really great stuff is happening. Awesome benefits. Fun clubs. I have gotten 6 raises and 2 significant promotions in the last two years, and I never had to ask.

Cons

Seems like there have been some growth related challenges, but sitting here I can't really come up with anything specific. Oh, they haven't been quite as fast at getting rid of people who don't contribute or cause problems as in the past.

Advice to Management

I like the new mission statement "Empowering Humanity through Transformative Technology," thanks for the clear vision. Get rid of problem causers faster. There aren't many of them, but it only takes one to negatively affect everyone else's job satisfaction. Otherwise, great job.

"Opportunity and Growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vecna Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started my career at Vecna and I'm happy I did. There was plenty to learn and lots of opportunities to take ownership of projects and excel. I credit Vecna for allowing me and facilitating the process to becoming a successful software engineer and technical lead. Number one thing that makes Vecna great are your coworkers. They're smart, they care, and fun to work with. The projects are rewarding and fun as well. Can't think of cooler things to work on than robots and fixing the health care system. Flexible time is nice, and I never feel pressured to work during time I'd rather be spending with family.

I think other reviews talk about Vecna's way of hiring young and cheap might have been true, even when I was hired, but there's a bit more to that. First, when you prove that you're capable, the raises start coming in and frequent. Over my time at Vecna my salary has more than doubled. I can't ask for better growth in my career. Also, I think there's a shift happening in the hiring culture at Vecna. The emphasis for the last year or so has been to be more competitive right out the gate. If it happens to be that Vecna hires strongly from MIT or Harvard, it's probably because of the proximity (heck we're in Cambridge - it's right next door).

When I first started at Vecna, I felt like the tech stack we were using was antiquated like the technologies we were trying to replace in health care. Since then, my opinion has changed. I wouldn't say we use a bleeding edge, hipster stack - we need more security and maturity than that in our products - but we are finally in a place where I'm proud of our tech stack. It's nice to finally see front-end-oriented, single page applications that rely on the latest javascript stack.

The culture of community service is great. I have been able to make a huge impact on young kids lives AND Vecna pays for it (up to 4 hours a week!).

Cons

- Some of our internal tools could be updated
    - More project managers for some teams - engineers have been made to do some project management roles that deter from their productivity. (I have heard rumors that this might improve over the next 6 months...)
    - Our growth means that we have to be flexible both in process change and in location change

Vecna Technologies Response

Sep 13, 2014 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the nice review. Yes, we have had a major push the past several months to update some of the tools we use, and we are adding additional project management resources to all product... More