Vector Marketing "pyramid scheme" Reviews | Glassdoor

Vector Marketing Employee Reviews about "pyramid scheme"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Its a scam"

I worked at Vector Marketing full-time

Pros

none, you might as well work for uber or doordash

Cons

Its a pyramid scheme were you sell poor knifes that no one who has heard of the internet or legit knifes like Wusthof will ever buy. You get 13$ per presentation but only if that person is over 30 years old and owns property lol!

Advice to Management

stop taking advantage of people who are looking for a legit job.

2. "Senior Advisor"

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

Opportunity for very high commission

Cons

Little bit of a pyramid scheme

""receptionest""

Former Employee - Receptionist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time (More than a year)

Pros

bunch of cool young people I guess....

Cons

basically a pyramid scheme
    was lied about what receptionist was, it was actually me cold calling people and sometimes the boss would take my self phone to call random people because they recognized his number and new it was a scam, do not work here

4. "Recruiting young kids who live in well off communities"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Vector Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

18 dollars per appointment regardless if you make a sale . I don't have any other pros to write but Glassdoor is forcing me to write at least 20 words. So there you go

Cons

No transparency.
    False hope.
    You can be good at sales but it's network marketing so if your network is relatively poor, your job will suffer.

They applied a lot of pressure for sales and forced you into company dinners when you weren't even making enough money to begin with.

Pyramid scheme.
    Was not a good fit for me or give me any valuable experience.

5. "My Opinion on VM"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

My office is really supportive, fun, and hard working people.
    Pay is good.

Cons

The phone numbers we have to get from people is basically pyramid scheme.

6. "New Trainee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

Good Money
    Hard Work ears rewards
    Flexible Schedule
    Work with people you know
    Meet new people, networking
    Team work is enforced
    Scholarship opportunities
    Great training program

Cons

Pyramid Scheme
    You have to reach out to people you know first really to get started

Advice to Management

Some people are more comftorable selling to people they don't know; it's certainly harder to sell without building that trust, however selling to friends of friends is just as difficult if not more.

7. "Horrible company"

Pros

You can definitely make money qickly.

Cons

This company is a pyramid scheme.

"Closely borders the line of being a pyramid scheme. Do not work here."

Former Contractor - Independent Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IL
    Former Contractor - Independent Sales Consultant in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Vector Marketing as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was upbeat and encouraging. The initiation process does a good job of deceiving you into thinking you will be making tons of money fast.

Cons

The training is like a survival of the fittest among group interviews after getting a cold call and being randomly offered a job you didn't apply for. If you take the bait, you enter a mass interview process. Around 5+ people take turns answering the same question in the same room for the hiring manager (or his assistant) and then they whittle it down to a couple employees, who then enter into the "free" training class where they do not pay you for three days of training, and gradually whittle down the attendees, deciding who is allowed to come back for the next days of training and who is asked not to come back. If you make it to day 3 and they still like you at the end, you are now hired as an Independent Contractor (definitely look this up if you don't know what that means) for Vector Marketing, selling CUTCO Cutlery (very highly overpriced, yet heavily warranted/guaranteed kitchen cutlery and tools).

You must start by soliciting business from all of your friends and family (and you are never provided with any leads), whose trust must be shamelessly exploited, in order to coerce/convince them into buying expensive cutlery either upfront or through monthly finance payments (with 0% interest, as if that makes the cutlery cheaper at all). Example: A small cutlery set will be around at least $600, which you must (if you follow the training) relentlessly offer the largest possible purchase for until you've either worn down your customer (family/friend) to the point that they will agree to something or tell you to leave.

You are responsible for setting all of your own sales appointments by making cold calls to your friends and family (as I mentioned) and perform an hour long "demonstration" of the products.

You are NOT compensated for any drive time and the company will try to fool you into thinking it's all the same if you just claim the mileage on your tax return (that is a blatant lie, due to having to itemize your tax return in order to ever get that tax break, and this does not constitute income or reimbursement for said mileage in the first place)

If you want to attend the employee meetings in Chicago (large events where guest speakers talk about fluffy sales nonsense) you MUST PAY THE COMPANY TO ATTEND. You must pay Vector at least $70 in order to even be allowed to go to the company meetings. You have to find your own way there and also pay for a hotel room for the night unless you're planning on driving home very late at night after a long event.

Every manager will tell you during training to tell your customers that the CUTCO Cutlery you're selling is warranted not only with a "Forever Guarantee" but also the (fake) guaruntee that if a knife ever goes dull, that customer can call us right up and we will send a rep. out in person to sharpen everything for them. This is a blatant lie that is not anywhere in writing.

Customer information is very loosely handled and no training or regulatory information is provided by Vector Marketing regarding the security and safe disposal of all the debit/credit card numbers you are lugging around on paper order sheets (if you make a sale)

The provided sales kit for your hour long demonstrations are sometimes "free" (you must return it if you quit) and sometimes you have to buy them (according to our managers, we were lucky we got ours free).

The company will claim that you will earn $15 an hour to start. This is highly deceiving, due to the fact that your "hours" of work are tracked only by the amount of appointments you set for a day (3 appointments = $45). You will highly likely end up having to drive long distances between appointments in order to meet your customers inside their homes.

In order to build new customers, you must solicit contact information for at least 2 of your original customer's friends/family and then call that person, saying the original customer sent you, exploiting the trust they have in your original customer and asking to give them an hour long demonstration inside their home and trying your best to schedule it on a day that makes sense to drive all the way to where they live and on a day they will agree to.

I've met one of my old managers (now working retail in a video rental store in town...) about a year after I left Vector Marketing in a hurry, and they told me they hated Vector Marketing and will never go back, and cursed the mention of the company name the moment I asked why they weren't there anymore.

I lost money working for this company due to the high mileage I had to put on my vehicle, the high amount of money I paid for gas, and all the completely unpaid endless hours I spent calling for new appointments anf driving to every appointment in several different cities and small towns.

I was able to book more appointments than anyone else in my training group and performed far better in appointment setting than anyone else, but I only broke about even at the end of the pay period, due to the nature of this "business".

This is not a company to work for and not a company I support. Just try finding a physical location near you for Vector Marketing. They float around all over town to different offices without updating themselves in any maps, they have very shady and inexcusable practices which many find repulsive, their extremely high level management are the only ones with a dependable income, and their company only thrives because of the high turnover and the eagerness of new employees to prove themselves by giving tons of free labor for no good reason.

Like I said, this very closely borders the line of being a pyramid scheme.

Advice to Management

None that doesn't involve an inappropriate insult.

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rohnert Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rohnert Park, CA

Pros

If sales is your passion, then Vector Marketing is a good stepping stone to begin this career. After a quick training session, you are quickly sent out to sell the kitchen knives however best you see fit.

Cons

It can really feel like a pyramid scheme however, as they first expect you to turn to your parents or other family and friends to sell the knives. I believe that most sales representatives just sell within their personal sphere and then have trouble expanding beyond that to sell to strangers in their homes. While not strictly door to door, it has a distinctly door to door feel as you sell within people's homes after a lengthy personal presentation. Additionally, their advertisements for the position are misleading, as when I joined, they touted their $17/ hour pay. In actuality, you only get paid during the time you are sitting down and presenting in front of new potential buyers.

Advice to Management

I am glad after having just recently received a settlement from a class action that paid me for their formerly unpaid training sessions. Management runs the company this way because it works, and they might sell far less if sold next to competitor's knives on a store shelf. For management, I wish they were more transparent towards the future of their sales representative positions.

10. "Terrible"

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

Great People, theyre great people but they were promoting the wrong thing

Cons

Pyramid Scheme, Terrible management, and no benifits

Showing 49 of 2,063 reviews