Cover image for Vedder Price

Join the conversation on

Law

91.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/law/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Vedder Price~25333
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "People are friendly.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good(in 11 reviews)
  • "Some good staff.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Good coworkers and there are people who care about you; free coffee; training is encouraged and the benefits are compatible to other midsize firms(in 4 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vedder Price and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Positive Work Environment

Jul 15, 2022 - Document Center Operator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Manageable workload and opportunity for growth and training. -Hybrid/Remote schedule -Nicest lawyers I have ever worked for in a law firm capacity -Management genuinely cares for staff -Toxic abuse/disrespect of any sort is not tolerated, firmwide and management backs us up.

Cons

-Very bad and slow technology. -Expectations and pressure can sometimes be unreasonable to fulfill more than what we are capable of with not enough staff. -Unfortunately and common with after hours shift, exclusion from firm events and such. Also the ability to not be permanently & fully remote due to our hours for safety reasons. There are no exceptions or flexibility, ever.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

GLOBAL LAW FIRM GROWING AND EVOLVONG

Jun 1, 2022 - Technology Training Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Diversified array of talent and business practices. Small enough to have somewhat of a familial teamwork vibe. This is a great place to start a career or build a career in the legal industry. In general, the corporate culture here highly encourages a culture of wellness.

Cons

Certain groups experience high turnover. Certain positions do not offer the most competitive salaries. The firm is

3. Join the Vedder Price team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

MicroManagement at its finest

Mar 1, 2022 - Senior Billing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can work from home 2 days out the week They’re located by the RiverWalk so you can enjoy your lunch by the steps.

Cons

-Pushiest attorneys in Chicago. They send you a request and want it complete by the end of the day. Doesn’t matter how busy you are. If you don’t complete, they’ll call your boss. -There’s no real training -They monitor what time you come in and -lecture you if you run late. Doesn’t matter if you make the time up. -If you’re new, they want you in your desk from lunch by 2pm, but the veteran billers can go whenever they want. -They favor the longer tenured billers. -They don’t know how to manage new staff. All their staff has been there for so long they expect zero mistakes from new staff. -High Staff turnover -No opportunities for advancement. They hire from outside.

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Mixed feelings

Oct 6, 2021 - Legal Secretary in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great staff - Most attorneys are respectful/nice - Fair PTO (starting off at 3 weeks vacation, then 4 weeks after 10 years, etc.) - Worked from home during COVID, no loss in pay - Jeans on Fridays - Longevity of employees - Wellness events, fun training, parties - Beth and Andrea are phenomenal trainers (clear & concise) - Free coffee/drinks - 35 hr work week - Teaming of secretaries just started, and seems to work well (easier to go on vacation without worrying about your desk being covered) - The attorneys I work for are awesome - nicest people I've ever had

Cons

- Many secretaries great have been here a long time, but as of late, we've lost a ton of them - Need a hybrid, remote or flexible hours options. COVID has shown we can work well at home, and for most of us, we are more productive, less stressed, and happier working at home. - While things are changing for the better tech-wise, there's constantly something new, and it can be hard to keep up with - HR doesn't listen to employees and make changes - Old school, large law firm feel (whereas, a few years back it felt like one big, happy family) - Holiday bonus is peanuts compared to other large law firms (I think it's about one weeks' pay) - Raise percentages are pretty low, and I don't believe it's merit based anymore

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good culture

May 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Hybrid; People; Benefits; Good Culture

Cons

No cons at this time

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

May 12, 2022 - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Firm has a hybrid model. I hope that this is the new norm. Morale is higher. Overall nice staff.

Cons

Two person teams are not feasible. There should be at least three. Secretary has to cover the other secretary's time slot if the other secretary is out of the office.

8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Gain Experience

Jul 8, 2022 - Litigation Paralegal in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gain experience Great colleagues Engaging Work

Cons

Low pay Lack of managerial support - no paralegal management

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Behind the Times

Oct 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The support staff are amazing; individuals have been with the firm for 20+ years in many departments and most are happy to assist with anything. - The attorneys are easy to work with. - Benefits are great; medical, dental, vision, 401K match and profit sharing. - Opportunities to cross train with multiple departments/groups if you are proactive.

Cons

- The firm is struggling with adjusting to the 21st century, both technologically and culturally. The lack of flexible/remote work options are truly detrimental. - Required staff to return to an office setting while the pandemic is still in effect. - Very separate 'cultures' for support staff and attorneys; almost like two separate firms.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Stability

Mar 28, 2022 - Managing Clerk in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

This firm offers staff stability

Cons

NYC is a satellite office

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Severe micromanagement - borderline workplace bullying

Oct 17, 2021 - Conflicts Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are friendly & easy to work with.

Cons

Supervisor severely micromanages every little aspect of job. Very condescending & confrontational via work email. One error on a report, which was usually result of difference in opinion, and supervisor would have a meeting to discuss procedures. If I was late, supervisor would constantly ask why I was late. Was warned of write-up after only 4 late arrivals in more than half a year. Even after supervisor said my work was great, trusted me to get my work done & I process requests at an above satisfactory pace, still severely micromanaged. Would text me during my days off to ask when I can attend a meeting the next day. Micromanaged every aspect of projects, assignments, requests, response times to emails & Jabbers, lunch (if I ended up taking later lunch than expected because of a request), etc. I can see why there's high turnover for such a small conflicts team.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 85 Reviews
</>Embed

Vedder Price Reviews FAQs

Vedder Price has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 86 reviews left anonymously by employees. 70% of employees would recommend working at Vedder Price to a friend and 68% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Vedder Price employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Vedder Price. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

70% of Vedder Price employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Vedder Price 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Vedder Price to be career development, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be workplace, management, culture.

Popular Careers with Vedder Price Job Seekers