Velapoint Reviews in Beaverton, OR | Glassdoor

Beaverton, OR

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aaron Goddard

Pros
  • A great place to learn the industry (in 8 reviews)

• Not only is Velapoint a great place to work, but a great place to learn and grow if you are looking for a career and not just a job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect massive layoff after February 15, when open enrollment ends (in 6 reviews)

• No one trusts the HR Barbie- you can't confide in her or trust she knows what she's doing (in 5 reviews)

1. "The Google of the health insurance industry."

Current Employee - LG/Agent/Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - LG/Agent/Manager in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Been with Velapoint for 5yrs and simply put…
    - Its real money (Made more money every single year. 6 figures isn't abnormal or unattainable and many of the agents do it).
    - No chargebacks.
    - No cold calling
    - Lots of contests and even newer or less experienced emplo
    - Great benefits<real nice for employees with family>
    - No travelling.
    - No money out of pocket for license and appointment fee (company pays for it all!)

Not anything better for a inside sales/ customer service professional. Any of the negative comments I read are from people who were lazy and or abused the systems here. Anyone who cares about their work and is coachable will succeed (There is an entire training dept in the building that helps you get going along with managers that have real experience). You'll understand the first day on the job if you can get hired.

Cons

The status quo doesn't work here and that can be difficult for some as the needs of the business continue to grow and so do the requirements of the staff.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from with-in our ranks. Many tried and true success stories are here from when this place first started. Also like to continue the career/professional education courses we took last year.

2. "Employees treated very poorly"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Training adequate but beyond that I can find no other positives in working for this organization.

Cons

The executive team cares only about their income, not the wellbeing of the employees. This was without a doubt the worst job experience I've encountered in my 30+ years of employment.

Advice to Management

Pretend like you care for the workers.

"Call Center"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Velapoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Expect the classic mundane daily life of steady pay.

Cons

They "let go" employees every year after the enrollment period which starts in Oct and ends in Feb.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your employees so much for $10/hr.

Mar 30, 2016 – Executive Management

Although at times it may seem routine, we’re glad that you felt at ease with your steady compensation at VelaPoint. We’re constantly working to foster an environment where hard work is rewarded with ... More

5. "Don't plan on sticking around or coming back..."

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative - Contingent Worker in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Velapoint as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were cool.
    The job wasn't crazy hard.
    Had time to work with customers (outside of OEP)

Cons

Expedited Training (aka 1 week of "got it? good... here's a phone."
    Upper management really doesn't seem to care about employees.
    Turbulent and flaky industry.
    Agents are typically arrogant, and top agent was highly unprofessional.
    Was told I was rehirable, but upon reapplying... was told "we've chosen not to continue, sorry!"

Advice to Management

Focus on what made the company good... THE EMPLOYEES. Yeah, big group lunches were cool... but hiring people on the basis of full time permanent positions then putting people who directly hired on contract claiming: "oh, it's just for payroll, you're not temporary!" is not okay. It's misleading...

"Health Insurance Sales"

Former Employee - Health Insurance Agent in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Health Insurance Agent in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Velapoint (Less than a year)

Pros

They paid for Health & Life Insurance training and testing for State of Oregon.

Cons

Serious problems trying to manage and grow their business. No one in Management has any experience, let alone any concept on how to run a large Call Center. No Metrics given other than those surrounding Sales; Number of Policy's sold and Total Sales Volume. Absolutely No Feedback on calls, no 1 on 1 meetings, no Quality assessments.

After all of the effort to send staff to ProSchools to learn and pass their Oregon Health Insurance Exams, that effort was wasted on little to no Training onsite.

Advice to Management

Get more involved in Training Process; hold Managers accountable to ensuring that Staff is trained properly before throwing them out on the floor.

Lose the Boiler Room Attitude; while it may pay off in the short term, it's a cancer in your Company.

For example: Going into a Training, you don't need to say how expensive your Training Room time is and that this needs to be quick so we can get back on the Sales Floor. It diminishes morale in those who are there to try and learn. Are they not worth them time to invest in them?

There are two things said in Training that you may not be aware of and needs to be corrected.

First, at the start of Training Sessions, many of your Staff use this phrase:
    "This is more of a Monologue than a Dialogue" Do you really mean to do that? In other words, if you don't understand something, don't bother asking questions.

Second, there is a procedure within your Training that is a HIIPA Violation. We were Trained when putting a Client on Hold to build their Quote, put them on Mute instead; so that Client could still be heard, to gauge their reactions and see if we could hear them discussing with others what they're monthly payment thresholds were.

"The worst company I've been involved with"

Former Employee - Agent in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Agent in Beaverton, OR

Pros

There are so many other really great opportunities in the insurance industry and its a great place to get your feet wet for a real career.

Cons

Pay cuts happen frequently. Prepare yourself for constant disappointment. Currently was hired by another really great company but I don't expect to ask for a recommendation from Velapoint.

Advice to Management

The level of service is disheartening. Don't be surprised if the entire sales floor walks. This is not what you promised. I'd bet there will be a lawsuit from former employees.

Jan 21, 2015 – Recruiter

We have not had any pay cuts for our agents. As with most insurance agent jobs this position very much is a commission based position. We do pay our agents a base pay rate as well which has not ... More

"Health Insurance Broker but no Insurance for Employees"

Current Employee - Agent in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Some very good people work here.

Cons

Management is way, way over their head. Expect massive layoff after February 15, when open enrollment ends.

Jan 21, 2015 – Recruiter

If you were a current employee you would know that we now offer medical benefits to our employees we are in the midst of enrollment for these benefits now. To address your second complaint ... More

9. "Give them a week and they give you a career"

Current Employee - Agent in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Velapoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company that cares about their employees. I have worked for 3 different Insurance brokerages/companies and this is the only one that delivers on their promises. I was unlicensed. They paid for my license and training. I am now licensed in 30 States and am on track to make $80,000 this year. I am never leaving.

Cons

I want more Rockstars. I want a way that I can consistently get coffee and Rockstars and make it automatic. Create an email or something that notifies me as soon as I earn one.

Advice to Management

Don't listen to the haters. They are typically people who think they can do your job better than you, but have never been in management. They don't know how difficult your job is. Keep it up. You all work hard and are passionate about this place. It shows.

Jul 10, 2015 – Executive Management

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! We’re glad to hear that you’ve built your career with us, taking advantage of our offer to pay for your training and licensing. We’re also pleased that your ... More

10. "Wouldn't want to work anywhere else"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Velapoint full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Velapoint is a fantastic place to work. It's upbeat, full of energy, and the environment is something where you look forward to coming into work each day. The leadership structure is well put together to allow people to focus on what is required. They are always growing and the opportunity to move up with the company is endless. They recognize hard work and dedication.

Cons

With any company, they expect you to show up on time and ready to do your job. When you are late or not meeting expectations, there are policies in place to help correct or reprimand appropriately. However, if this occurs, typically the individual deserves it as they come after several warnings to abide by their expectations. Although there are not employee benefits that are offered, compensation easily makes up for individual sponsored benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Love it here!

"Health insurance is a tough job based on your initial commitment-licensing, screening calls, unresponsive clients."

Former Employee - Insurance in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Insurance in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Velapoint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be exposed to a variety of insurance solutions. Your phone will never be idle because you'll have responsibility to dial it. Ultimately, you will find an inner voice that lets you sell insurance. Pay is commensurate with your selling ability.

Cons

You will be fed if you consistently sell, otherwise you may have to dig yourself out by working twice as hard going through useless leads and talking to "blanks" that don't know what they want. Stress builds up - and someone is always listening and watching your every moove-literally. No company benefits. No paid time off. You will not keep residual commissions. Everyone starts out as a screener-if you respect youself and have dignity-tell them to take the Screener role out for you . Screening is you are not working for them, you are not even an employee- just someone willing to waste their own time and money for who knows how long to get a chance of being an insurance agent.

Advice to Management

If screeners are not happy- then how insurance agents can be happy?