Velocity Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Velocity Credit Union President and CEO Debbie Mitchell
Debbie Mitchell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"good place to work, family atmosphere, little growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

treated like family and the employees generally want to help out members.

Cons

little opportunity for true growth.

Advice to Management

overall doing a good job, just wasn't a career fit for me.

2. "Inferior to local competitors, go elsewhere."

Former Employee - Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Velocity Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are very helpful and friendly. They offer a pension if you can stand it here long enough to retire.

Cons

HR and Training departments are a joke. There is no procedure manual or employee Intranet. The one reference tool available is a search tool that brings up 3 outdated procedures for every 1 good one. Employees here are expected to perform far more work than better paid employees at the competition. And the cherry on top is that all of the above make for excessive turnover.

Advice to Management

Management should work to serve employees and make their jobs easier be providing the tools they need to feel competent.

"Great Company, Culture, Benefits and People!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Velocity Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Velocity Credit Union for over 16 years and really enjoyed my time there. I can honestly say that I grew up there! The people and close friendships you develop are the what I enjoyed the most. Velocity still remains my financial institution of choice even after moving on to another organization. Their products, culture, benefits and the people are what makes Velocity such a tight knit community.

Their banking products I believe in and use! There are not many institutions that offer so many services for FREE. They also offer a rewards debit card that is awesome and unheard of. Employees get the perks of having these amazing products, too.

The culture is welcoming. New employees are given a few weeks of new hire orientation which is also unheard of in some organizations. Executive management and middle management are friendly and supportive. I was never afraid of providing my opinion even when I knew it may not be liked by others. Velocity values change and new ideas and always allowed me to express my thoughts when I wanted/needed to.

Benefits - Wow is all I can say. I sure do miss the benefits. When they say they don't get better anywhere else, listen! Their paid time off accruals are amazing and really allow for a good work life balance. Their medical insurance, dental and vision plans are stellar and above the rest. Did I mention their 401(k) plan yet?! Again, amazing! I could go on and on about their benefits alone. Work for the State of Texas? Doesn't matter! Velocity can match and beat it! Pension plan - YES!

My experience at Velocity was top notch. Had they had a position for me to grow into, I would have absolutely retired from there. Velocity does not keep employees that are not willing to put in the work and effort unlike other companies with poor morale. They truly have top tier customer service in the market and have high expectations.

Cons

The only con I would say is that I was not able to stay to grow in my career at Velocity as they did not have a higher position for me. However, I give them credit as I cannot count how many promotions into other positions I had during my time there. I can't believe the other reviews where people mention there is no room for growth. I was part of that growth and grew many employees into better positions that are still there. I am saddened to read some negative reviews on Velocity, but perhaps these are employees that are non-performing and not tenured. Growth comes with exemplary performance and over time. It does not happen overnight.

Advice to Management

I love the management at Velocity and still have many dear friends that are employed there. I had the joy of working with each and every one of them at some point or another. Everything I know is because of my time at Velocity. I became a better person, leader and parent to my children because of my real life experiences at Velocity. Great company, great people!

4. "Which they had better pay."

I worked at Velocity Credit Union part-time

Pros

My coworkers were awesome. I built a great relationship and I enjoyed meeting the members. They give bonuses around Christmas and have a party!

Cons

Upper management does not get to know you. They didn't know I was even working there until about 8 months after I started working there. The pay was okay but for all they have you do and the way they expect you to keep the credit union in good light it isn't enough. They have really low retention rate because of the low pay scale.

Advice to Management

Be active in the tellers job. And do not put so much pressure on supervisors to do dirty work.

5. "Teller"

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Velocity Credit Union part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most associates are friendly. The members are regulars and remember your face and name. Most employees have been with the Credit Union for several years and know the ins and outs of the Credit union.

Cons

Hard to move up in the company since most employees have had their positions for years. The location was very inconvenient for lunch and leaving the branch was a nightmare. There are definitely favorites to say the least.

"On the wrong path"

I have been working at Velocity Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Still some great people working here, but everyone seems to be in agreement with this review. Still a pension plan, but the other benefits are subpar

Cons

Wages are very low compared to other financial institutions. Executive management is very out of touch. Very high turnover the last several years.

Advice to Management

I have worked for the credit union for a long time and this is the worst it's ever been. Great people keep leaving to work at better paying companies. I'd like to continue being loyal, but all the staff I've interacted with all agree the credit union is on the wrong path. Too many people in executive management.

"Another employee looking"

I have been working at Velocity Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Made good friends and relationships.

Cons

Pay is low, turnover is high, does not value long time employees.

Advice to Management

Pay more to keep up with the trend in Austin and all other businesses or good employees will continue to leave.

"Good work. Great experience. Rewarding."

I have been working at Velocity Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a friendly and accommodating work environment. Benefits are better than average. Turn-over is low at most positions within the Credit Union.

Cons

No benefits for employees on rates, credit cards or loans.

Advice to Management

Central TX is growing and we need to keep up with the bigger Credit Union in the area.

9. "Hot & Cold"

Pros

Opportunity for learning & contributing

Cons

Office politics, communication with frontline team often lacking