Velti Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Bad management and no long term objectives (in 5 reviews)

• No training since there is no real process or system in place for accounting, project management (in 5 reviews)

"Smart low-mid level management, mediocre benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Velti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, have some smart people to work with

Cons

Short-sighted management, headed by sales people

"Velti wasted my time and was biggest mistake of my career"

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Velti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, fun events, great views and free food at times.

Cons

No leadership, no training, no career advancement, revolving door, always someone leaving and someone new starting. Well, not every Manager at Velti lacked direction - somewhere great and excellent to partner up with while others were lazy and don't like to work and its very apparent to everyone and yet that behavior is acceptable? It's public knowledge that the company doesn't pay their bills. I had this question come up in an interview that I had after my dismissal from Velti. Wow, that was embarrassing for Velti and not me. Lastly, I had seen firsthand unethical situations go down, bad things and Management was aware of this. They let it go and fire the real performers. This place is a joke. Please stay away. I pray for Velti to go out of business.

Advice to Management

Just close shop. Velti will not last.

"trust these reviews...all the reviews are consistently bad... it means something"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Velti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

in an industry supposed to be, but far away

Cons

poor management does not know what to do or what not to do
    every company will be successful in this industry except Velti
    constant layoffs
    if you have a job or somewhere to go, never come here.
    After seeing all the reviews are bad, I had a dream that Velti is not as bad as one-star. But after my experience with Velti, I would give them a zero if possible. Never dream it is better than zero.

Advice to Management

Find someone capable of being a CEO...

"House of Cards"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Velti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Recognized leader in mobile marketing; international reach and presence.

Cons

Frequent layoffs, revolving door management, nonsensical acquisitions, quarterly reorganizations, customer and employee disaffection, you name it. Velti is a corporate version of a circular firing squad. No wonder the stock is trading at $2.00 a share.

Advice to Management

Leave. Now.

"Run while you still can"

I worked at Velti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- SF office is in a fantastic location downtown, close to BART.
    - Mobile industry is the place to be right now, and for some inexplicable reason, Velti is a market leader.
    - Impressive client list, looks great on a resumé.

Cons

- Employees are treated as disposable commodities. I saw entire departments laid off while I worked here, then completely replaced with new hires.
    - Seemed like every time they acquired a new company, there would be "re-orgs" in which old employees were subsequently laid off so the newly-acquired people could fill their positions.
    - No career path, skill development, room for advancement, or job security.
    - No company culture. I met some wonderful people, but most of us bonded over how much we hated working there.

"Squeeze and Throw Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Velti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a dynamic environment with a lot of good people.

Cons

The leadership of this company is dismaly incompetent. Culturally, you have to realize that it is a Greek company. Everythinhgis done through personal favors so thing corruption, politics, not reward for your talent and performances.
    So you are in an environment where you have more VPs with no clear objectives that effective teams actually carrying the company
    Communication is rare and you get a lot of people working in parallel on the same projects and trying to sell them to the CEO who is involved in the most ridicuously low level decisions as he never did let go of his "baby" (he is also the founder) after the IPO.
    If you are not good friend with the CEO somebody who is good friend with the CEO, then be prepared to work like a slave and thrown away when you are burned out. Forget about all the rewards they talked about in your offer letter, they don't even honor that.

Advice to Management

Change the executive team to a team of proven experts in their field.
    Fire half of your VP popuplation.
    Let your decisions be guided by what is good for the company and move on.

"Worst management team I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Velti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location; some decent US management

Cons

The company is headquartered in Greece and they do not understand the way business is done in the US. When I worked there bills were not paid for over 6 months, the phone was shut off for lack of payment, we lost the Fed Ex account because the bills weren't paid, contractors had to threaten to sue in order to get paid, and even then, it took awhile. Management didn't listen; they were always right. Very unethical business decision making.

Advice to Management

Listen to people; sometimes they have good ideas and know the right way to do things. Get a professional management team in there who know how to ethically run a company.

"Dysfunctional & Fragmented"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Velti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting industry and good office locations. Potential to do interesting work in a high growth sector.

Cons

Zero management direction, communication or respect for employees -- or each other. Completely untrustworthy and unethical. Very unfriendly, unhappy and vicious culture. Constant and visible infighting.

Employees are treated like napkins -- to be used and discarded. Employees get yelled at in the hallways. No career paths or development programs. No cooperation, planning, or coordination within or across functions and business units. Lack of systems or processes. Excessive politics and bureaucracy.

Velti's money is made by selling SMS gamification solutions to mobile operators in -- a murky business that the US heavily restricts. They've purchased a number of companies in an attempt to diversify, but failed to integrate the products or people. No agency or brand has adopted Velti’s self-service platform because it doesn't exist. The product organization is a rudderless, sinking ship.

They are not a network -- InMobi and other mobile ad network leaders don't see Velti as a competitor. The exchange is a mess and losing share. Services lacks defined solutions and project management capabilities leading to overworked employees, scope creep and quality issues.

Advice to Management

Recognize and act on your strengths and weaknesses: you're good at starting a company; you're terrible at running a company. Bring in professional managers who have proven management experience. This is the only way to sustainably increase share value.

"Velti Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Velti full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros to speak of.

Cons

The most poorly managed company I've ever been associated with in my 25 year career. They didn't make decisions, didn't communicate, didn't settle on strategy, continually changed business models, re-organized the divisions every 3 months, wasted tens of thousands of dollars in needless travel, and then wondered why they were not realizing revenue.

Advice to Management

Be grateful to be one of a very few big players in the market. You can't help but stumble over business.

"ok to stay for a while"

I worked at Velti full-time

Pros

You will meet a lot of great people

Cons

Management sucks. They don't communicate much to the team.