Vena Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Vena Solutions CEO Don Mal
Don Mal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • normal growing pains for such a fast growing company (eg (in 5 reviews)

• Really can't think of any cons aside from tight office space but this will be changing since the office is moving this year (in 5 reviews)

1. "Challenging and rewarding. Given a lot responsibility at a young age with a company willing to give you a shot."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

Pros

Fast growing, amazing, collaborative environment. Challenging roles that make great use of young talent. Very accepting of modern technology for specific job roles.

Cons

Management tends to be very hands off for the most part, which is understandable due to the start up nature of the company.

Advice to Management

Now at this time

May 11, 2017 – Chief People Person

Thanks for your feedback. We're so glad to hear you've had a positive experience on our sales team! If you have any additional feedback don't hesitate to connect with me directly. - Tracey... More

2. "Sales"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

Good, solid product that leverages Microsoft Excel better than any of the competition. The culture is also fantastic

Cons

Market presence. Many prospective customers have not heard of us.

Advice to Management

Invest more in marketing

Jun 16, 2017 – Chief People Person

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We agree with you that we could be doing more to enhance our market presence. We're planning to make this a focus area in the back half of... More

"Senior Consultant"

Pros

PS at Vena is a great place to begin your career but keep your time here minimal.
    Fantastic opportunity to work with high-level execs, and run projects yourself.
    Exceptional sales team, you will always have work.
    Top notch office, right in Liberty. There are showers!
    Fantastic employees below management, Vena's great at hiring. I've never had such a sense of comradery.
    Half of the SMs in PS are terrific managers. Great people that you will learn a tonne from. Maybe mentors for life.
    No dress code.

Cons

Terrible environment; you're constantly being pressured to bill more at the expense of your personal life and client success. The targets are excessive even by consulting standards.
    Half of the SMs are horrific. They never meet you on anything and do not expect any guidance. They do contact you on billable targets or if your project has been escalated.
    There is no roadmap for your career growth and zero recognition on your performance and capabilities.
    Morale has become horrible since a jump in turnover. Management has started managing retention through fear, instead of improving the culture.
    Much of management lacks actual leadership, with very little care of anything other than company revenue.
    Tonnes of terrible sales, that are positioned for implementation failure. (Terrible contingencies, significant discounts in service hours, etc.)

May 2, 2017 – Chief Customer Officer

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us. I can say that, within our Leadership team and across our organization, our priority and responsibility is to provide an... More

"Eh!?! Typical Canadian culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, OH

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting compilation of existing technologies in the marketplace. They say Eh a lot! Granola bars and coffee in office :-)

Cons

Either you are in the clique, or out....but no managers will stand up for your work product, as they don't want to be considered an outsider. Not as easy to use unless you know Mongo

Advice to Management

Ditch the cronyism

5. "The Peers"

Pros

Some of the smartest people to work with. Great Atmosphere and very collaborative approach.

Cons

You need extremely high organization skill as it could get real disruptive sometime.

Advice to Management

Need more quiet working space.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Great office space, some really nice and talented people, beer fridays, 2 kitchens full stocked - you'll never go hungry!, flex hours, work from home

Cons

Anything culture related (on the sales team) always has to do with drinking, when interviewing and considering if someone is a culture fit, they consider whether someone will go out drinking with the group or not. Complete lack of management. POLITICS - many people go out for smoke breaks every 20 minutes (including top management), management have favourites, if you're a favourite or part of the "clique" you will be promoted - low performance seems to be rewarded (out of pity) and top performance seems to be undervalued, unappreciated and unrecognized. They'll talk a big game during your interview and promise lots but zero follow through once hired. High turnover due to all of the above.

Advice to Management

Value the the team you have. If you have a process, or rules, stick to it - i.e. if you have to stay in a position for a year, then stick to that or, if not... promote based on performance- don't promote those that don't deserve it. You will start to lose good people faster and faster. Create a more inclusive culture.

Feb 21, 2018 – Chief People Person

Thanks for sharing your Vena experiences. We are aware that there is always room for improvement in any organization - we're taking your feedback above and working towards addressing in a positive... More

"Vena will burn you out, if you let them."

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many wonderful people, who deserve so much more! I made some great friends here, and I will miss them a lot.

Cons

Poor management. A lot of people are overworked and underpaid. You're expected to do overtime, while being paid an absolute minimum. They only say that your work is appreciated, but when you ask for help - you will only get more work on top. Forget hiring extra help, or getting a fair raise. If the company can afford beer Fridays, surely they can hire more staff..
    There seems to be a lot of deadweight as well - people getting paid for being on social media, chitchatting or staring into space all day long. Why nobody from the management team seems to notice this is beyond me.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the deadweight and hire more staff in the departments that need it the most! A few decent and hardworking people are worth the investment.

Dec 21, 2017 – Chief People Person

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. It is unfortunate that you did not have a positive experience during your time with us. Over the past 12 months we have added people... More

"Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Product in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Vena for the past 4 years and enjoyed every bit of it! The company is in a rapid growth phase and the maturity with which the senior leadership is handling things is amazing. I personally can attest that all the senior leaders are very approachable and understanding. Our CTO has been the grounding force for the whole team, he is ready to talk to us any time we need him. I can't stress enough how much he has helped me during difficult situations and always encourages us not to be afraid to make mistakes. He also pays special attention to personal development and encourages continuous learning. (I recently finished a course with Vena's help). I know a lot of us are still here because of him. Yes, change is difficult and I agree its not easy for everyone. But its very sad to see such immature and made-up reviews, totally disagree there. I believe in contributing more than I criticize.
    If you ask me, I would hold on to Vena as long as I can :)

Cons

Vena is growing and I expect some pain associated with it. But having given me so many opportunities to learn and grow, I am excited to be part of Vena's journey!

Advice to Management

I have full trust in you because we interact on a daily basis. Keep up the good work, we will figure it out together :)

Dec 21, 2017 – Chief People Person

We really appreciate you taking the time to provide your review on your experience here at Vena. I'm glad to hear that you feel you've had the ability to develop and grow during the time you've... More

9. "Account manager"

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

Great learning opportunity, good pay as well

Cons

Office space was limited and sometime conjested

Oct 6, 2017 – Chief People Person

Thanks for taking the time to share your review. We're happy to hear you had a positive experience during your time at Vena!

"Rapidly growing company, great career opportunity (and yes it's fun)"

Current Employee - Sales in Liberty Village, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Liberty Village, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people. It may be a cliche, but Vena truly does feel like an extended family in many respects. There are lots of team events, both professional and social.

The office. Great location in Liberty, and it's gorgeous.

The perks. Beer Fridays, hot dog Fridays (which starts at 10 am, but I'm not complaining), Popsicle Wednesdays, always fruit, veggies, cereal and other stuff in the kitchen. Everyone is doing this nowadays, but it does make a difference when you're pressed for time

The band. We have a fully equipped jam space, with amps and PA provided by the company. Not sure where else you can play music in a great space with some great sounding gear as well as have the opportunity to play live shows for your colleagues.

Work/life balance. Most employees get to work from home at least a couple of days a week. You also aren't punching a clock. Managers understand if you have a appointments or other things you need to take care of that might mean you need to leave early or come in a bit later.

Autonomy. Lots of opportunities for our inside sales team to go onsite, and book trips in territory. Managers encourage this, and encourage outside of the box thinking when it comes building a territory in general.

Cons

Career Development. With such rapid growth, like any other small(ish) company Vena faces challenges with having a formalized career path for most roles. I understand this is being developed at the moment so this most likely will not as much of an issue in 2018.

Training. We had an excellent QBR in the summer that involved a lot of interactive training with sales and marketing. However, this hasn't been the trend for the last couple of years. I understand on-boarding is being formalized and improved as well as recurring training for more senior reps so I expect that this will also cease to become an issue as 2018 develops.

Processes haven't been built out. As with any other rapidly growing company, at times the growth has meant processes and other necessary infrastructure haven't kept pace. The plus side is that as employees we have an influence in this regard, and we have had our input included in many initiatives like training/on-boarding and interdepartmental processes.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I've worked at organizations where the more tenured employees spoke of the "glory years" before things got overly "corporate". Market exigencies demand that things always change, but my hope is that Vena holds on to its great culture and approach to work/life balance for years to come as it also develops the processes and formalized career paths that are crucial to long term success.

Feb 22, 2018 – Chief People Person

Thanks for your review of Vena. We're happy to hear you enjoy the work-life balance alongside the everyday perks! In terms of the areas you mentioned for improvement around growth, training, and... More