Venafi Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Venafi CEO Jeff Hudson
Jeff Hudson

Pros
  • The CEO Jeff Hudson is the greatest, and his attitude around customer success and family is infectious (in 5 reviews)

• Flexible work environment, including management (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Opportunity mandates focus and discipline that can impact work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Sales leadership is poor at best (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Director"

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Venafi has an incredible culture and focus on teamwork that is lacking in nearly all other companies I've worked for. The organization invests in it's employees and recognizes that in order to win (short and long term), we must work as a close knit team. The executive staff has a unique blend of sales skills and ability to engage, as much as required, to help the team build relationships and to successfully bring in new clients. We have a mission and it's clear that we are committed, to that vision, from the executive level down.

Also, our solution (Trust Protection Platform) works and scales as advertised. We don't spend a lot of time trying to make our products work. They work because we have a dedicated engineering and development team. In fact, one engineer once worked all weekend to ensure that an "issue" with our solution was fixed and met our prospects requirements. That prospect is now a very happy customer! I could offer many other examples of this type of team work and dedication that continue to drive and fuel our success at Venafi.

Cons

Sometimes we move too fast and miss the details. Nothing critical, but something that has hindered us, slightly, at times. The executive team is very aware of this and has taken bold steps to ensure that we continue to communicate across divisions and groups in the organization. Just another illustration of great leadership.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on building a world class culture and solutions to proactively secure and protect the G5000. Setting realistic goals and working together to reach and exceed such goals will remain foundational to our continued success.

Mar 11, 2017 – VP Field Ops

Response: Thank you for the great feedback. From a sales standpoint, we are committed to setting realistic goals year after year so every sales team member will have an opportunity to significantly ... More

"Solid company with good people"

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid product in a growing space

Cons

Risk that we do not innovate fast enough

Advice to Management

Focus on innovation and transforming the key and certificate management and security ecosystem

"Poor culture, sales leadership and execution - good niche product"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Venafi (More than a year)

Pros

Good niche product that has a jump on competition...although competition is catching up. Still have some quality people on product side

Cons

Sales leadership and direct sales mgt have created a toxic, micro-mgt, CYA culture where very few people really trust any of the sales mgt team by virtue of their actions, or lack of. Feedback on how the company can actually be improved is openly shut down while at the same time saying they want to have an open "honest" culture. Going through third reorg in less than two years where they have driven out many of the top producers....10 of 15 sales reps and managers left in the last year alone with revenue going backwards.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the catchy slogans like "HEART Values" and actually manage with character, loyalty, trust and caring about developing a team. "Just do it!" or “I’ve got your back” does not motivate or help lead to positive results if you can’t be trusted, as evidenced by the recent run of form. The desperation mode shown internally is also being picked up on by customers

Mar 11, 2017 – VP Field Ops

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and make suggestions. Venafi is a fast growing organization in a fast developing market. In the last two years, we completely reorganized the sales ... More

""Just Do It" are only words"

Former Employee - Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really none, just some false smiles

Cons

Product that easy will become obsolete for lacking of focus on technology trendings.
    Management is passive, false, inefficient, and walk on the cloud not with the feet on earth.
    Too much talks about become public, but the company has been running more than 8 years as startup and many rounds of founding, there is not clear path to accomplish.
    The stock options and bonuses offered are just numbers in paper that never will get in your account because everything is made to take them from you.

Advice to Management

Instead of bring onboard clowns to do low management, that have no idea of deal with people, lacking of technology knowledge and awareness on trendings, must bring the opposite to it.

"Good product but poor, ego driven sales leadership is major road block to success"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product works well and CEO is accessible.

Cons

Sales leadership is poor at best. Unaccountable and finger pointing leads to toxic environment and is in direct contrast to their perceived culture. Micromanagement to the point where the sales "leaders" do not trust the sales executives to run their business. Constantly churn and burn salesforce so pipeline development is non existent and morale is low. If looking into opportunity, i suggest you contact the many prior employees who have left the company and you will hear a consistent message-do your homework and come to your own conclusion. Ask how many re-orgs has the company has gone through the last 2-3 years...either the "A" players they constantly hire suddenly fail or they cannot hire good people-either way, it is poor management.

Advice to Management

This company should and could be successful, but leadership below the CEO is untrustworthy, un-motivating and unaccountable. At some point you heave to ask yourself is it constantly the salesforce that you hired or is it leadership in place that is failing-yelling "just do it!" is not leadership, it's just plain silly.

"Untrustworthy Management and C-levels"

I worked at Venafi full-time

Pros

The company as a whole is doing some pretty amazing work, and a majority of the employees are incredibly kind. For the most part, it's a great open work environment with fairly competitive salaries and benefits.

Cons

Egos cloud the thinking of a majority of the leadership within the company. While on one hand Venafi leadership gives off the impression they want an open dialogue with the employees, they only really mean so as long as your opinions are strictly in line with their own. Leadership is obsessed with buzzwords like; corporate culture, team members, affirmations, and other really cheesy crap that neither inspires people or productivity. For a lot of people at Venafi, there is very little work/life balance. While I was employed there management had no qualms calling on a Sunday evening.

Advice to Management

"There is a special place in hell for women who don't support each other."

Nov 17, 2016

Thank you for the input. It is great to hear every point of view. We are far from perfect. For context, we invest a huge amount of resource (time and money) into team member training which ... More

"Former Sales Director"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Venafi full-time

Pros

I made a personal decision to leave Venafi and open a new professional chapter in my life, however, I will always look back fondly at my time Venafi as a Warrior and an Warrior leader. The leadership of Venafi inspired a strong esprit de corps that is not often found in fast-paced technology companies with enormous pressure on them to grow fast. I made many friends in my nearly 2 years as a Warrior and learned a ton. If you're looking to level up your game, sell a security technology that truly has a demonstrable ROI and work with some great people and customers, I suggest you strongly consider becoming a Warrior.

Cons

While not a con, you will work harder than you've ever worked before - but the rewards are there in many forms. Don't bring anything less than your A game.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

"DREAMS DO NOT COME TRUE"

Pros

Excellent CEO, good speaker, and steering the company to goals.
    Other VPs are good people and try to contribute in the company success.

Cons

Dreaming the company product is the only one in the market.
    Budget cuts, no incentives for progress, wrong task assignments due to poor management skills lacking of knowledge and absolutely no vision on technology and best practices.
    They says "we are flat organization" where you can talk to any manager but really they do not care, do not listen, ignore the employees exposing them to the anarchy of the team manager.
    Very politics, most things are managed by convenience of a few and not in benefits of teams and company.
    Bully and lazy management.

Advice to Management

Double check manager's positions to guarantee they are aligned to HEART and company goals.
    Cut and stop politic actions that lead to bully actions and bad environment.

"Good Product Bad Sales Leadership"

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good product that has a real need in IT. Not much competition for what they do. Great book of customer business to work from. Competitive pay and benefits.

CEO is really good. He has separated himself from daily operations and upper management to become more of a spokes person and mascot for the company. He has good vision, passionate and motivating. I understand letting upper management manage but when their values don't match the vision created it creates a dysfunctional dichotomy.

Cons

Sales Management. Micro management experts. Last week of month they conduct DAILY 7:00am forecast calls. End of each quarter they conduct 7:00am calls every day for the last 3 weeks. "What did you do for us yesterday", every single day.

90% turnover in sales staff. They don't value their people at all. One VP mentioned in an interview that replacing people is just what you do on a regular basis.

Expect 10 to 12 hour days and to be available on the weekend and vacations. Can't tell you how many times I had to work during vacations.

Also make sure you get everything in writing. If a promo isn't written down don't believe it is real.

Advice to Management

Value your current employees and remove the "everybody is replaceable" attitude.

Oct 26, 2016 – VP Sales

Appreciate this feedback. Awareness is one of our company’s core values and everyone’s opinion is taken seriously. The last thing we want is to have a contributing member of our team feel ... More

"Great Company and Leadership"

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very dedicated leadership team with clear vision for the company future and product development.

Smart and dedicated colleagues make it seem effortless to achieve great new things. Great culture and working environment. Very open and honest. The CEO keeps employees updated regularly and shares all of the news with the whole company.

All offices are in great areas and the design and look are outstanding.

Cons

Sales, IT/Security and Team Member Services (no HR here) organizations experience growing pains and could be more effective.

Sales team changes almost completely year to year.

IT/Security has experienced changes in the past 12-18 months that have set the organization back. It is mostly working to show progress but little actual progress is being made.

Team Member Services could be more efficient and gather feedback about the remote offices.

Advice to Management

Keep your vision the same and keep investing in the future.