Venafi Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Venafi CEO Jeff Hudson
Jeff Hudson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people, visionary CEO, decent benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Leadership team is aligned and working well together (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Venafi went backwards in revenue in 2016 for first time in company history, yet all Execs are retained continuously blaming Sales and Marketing (in 3 reviews)

• Opportunity mandates focus and discipline that can impact work/life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Director"

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Venafi has an incredible culture and focus on teamwork that is lacking in nearly all other companies I've worked for. The organization invests in it's employees and recognizes that in order to win (short and long term), we must work as a close knit team. The executive staff has a unique blend of sales skills and ability to engage, as much as required, to help the team build relationships and to successfully bring in new clients. We have a mission and it's clear that we are committed, to that vision, from the executive level down.

Also, our solution (Trust Protection Platform) works and scales as advertised. We don't spend a lot of time trying to make our products work. They work because we have a dedicated engineering and development team. In fact, one engineer once worked all weekend to ensure that an "issue" with our solution was fixed and met our prospects requirements. That prospect is now a very happy customer! I could offer many other examples of this type of team work and dedication that continue to drive and fuel our success at Venafi.

Cons

Sometimes we move too fast and miss the details. Nothing critical, but something that has hindered us, slightly, at times. The executive team is very aware of this and has taken bold steps to ensure that we continue to communicate across divisions and groups in the organization. Just another illustration of great leadership.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on building a world class culture and solutions to proactively secure and protect the G5000. Setting realistic goals and working together to reach and exceed such goals will remain foundational to our continued success.

Venafi Response

Mar 11, 2017 – VP Field Ops

Response: Thank you for the great feedback. From a sales standpoint, we are committed to setting realistic goals year after year so every sales team member will have an opportunity to significantly... More

2. "Sales Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Director
    Current Employee - Sales Director

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Venafi is a growing security company with a unique, best-in-class solution in the Machine Identity marketplace. Education of the market and customer/prospect executives is key the success, and the Venafi leadership team is as good as they come in doing this critical task. Over the last 5 years, we have seen incredible growth, a major shift in the marketplace, and a very positive culture emerging within the company. At every level in the company, employees look for ways to make this a better place to work in order to succeed at every level. Venafi is on an incredible trajectory with no limit in sight.

Cons

We are a fast growth startup. We make mistakes, look at them honestly without ego, and correct course. We work very hard, and yes, there is stress in doing what we do every day. That comes with joining any start up looking to grow and create a new space in the market. That said, the support we get from the teams and executives is outstanding.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the teams at every level. Continue to invest in the training and mentoring of the employees.

3. "Decent company with a product that has no competition."

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, visionary CEO, decent benefits. Product is niche, no competitors to their product.

Cons

Work can be stressful at times. Some managers are not transparent anddon't provide feedback.

4. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Acco
    Former Employee - Acco

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Needed technology with real value

Cons

Poor sales management and leadership. See employees only as a product to be used.

Advice to Management

Value employees.

"Good company, always changes going on."

I have been working at Venafi full-time

Pros

Ok culture, good benefits, great employees, pay is competitive; company is headed in a decent direction.

Cons

Start-up, long hours, lots of changes, product lacks focus, messages to employees seem to err on the side of sunshine and rose when the facts say different.

Advice to Management

Company needs someone to lead the current leadership team to make the right decisions that do not tear the company apart.

"Not great"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is unique, it works well and has a very real return on investment. It is remarkable. There is also no other company that has the skilled staff that Venafi has. They are the experts. Support is amazing.

The CEO, Jeff, is a very nice and very smart person.

Venafi pays well.

Cons

From an employee (not a customer) standpoint. The company has failed to deliver. Two rounds of redundancies with a mass recruitment drive in-between is terrible management and financial planning and has a large impact on real people and their families. What score would Venafi have in the past 12 months if it wasn't for 'Directors' giving them 5 stars?

Advice to Management

You failed. Learn the lessons and move on.

"Going, Going, Gone"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company had a unique compelling offering at one time. Company had a very competent senior Sales and Marketing team at one time. Company was fun to work for at one time.

Cons

3 times in 5 years over-zealous Management with their eye on an IPO over hired to hit unrealistic revenue forecasts, then over fired to save money once these ridiculous numbers were missed. Venafi went backwards in revenue in 2016 for first time in company history, yet all Execs are retained continuously blaming Sales and Marketing. Company will never be more than a niche product that is painfully expensive.

Advice to Management

Stop blaming Sales and marketing every other year and look in the mirror. Board needs to overhaul Management who really doesn't have varied large enterprise software experience and any idea how to properly grow the business.

"Poor culture, sales leadership and execution - good niche product"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Venafi (More than a year)

Pros

Good niche product that has a jump on competition...although competition is catching up. Still have some quality people on product side

Cons

Sales leadership and direct sales mgt have created a toxic, micro-mgt, CYA culture where very few people really trust any of the sales mgt team by virtue of their actions, or lack of. Feedback on how the company can actually be improved is openly shut down while at the same time saying they want to have an open "honest" culture. Going through third reorg in less than two years where they have driven out many of the top producers....10 of 15 sales reps and managers left in the last year alone with revenue going backwards.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the catchy slogans like "HEART Values" and actually manage with character, loyalty, trust and caring about developing a team. "Just do it!" or “I’ve got your back” does not motivate or help lead to positive results if you can’t be trusted, as evidenced by the recent run of form. The desperation mode shown internally is also being picked up on by customers

Venafi Response

Mar 11, 2017 – VP Field Ops

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and make suggestions. Venafi is a fast growing organization in a fast developing market. In the last two years, we completely reorganized the sales... More

""Just Do It" are only words"

Former Employee - Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really none, just some false smiles

Cons

Product that easy will become obsolete for lacking of focus on technology trendings.
    Management is passive, false, inefficient, and walk on the cloud not with the feet on earth.
    Too much talks about become public, but the company has been running more than 8 years as startup and many rounds of founding, there is not clear path to accomplish.
    The stock options and bonuses offered are just numbers in paper that never will get in your account because everything is made to take them from you.

Advice to Management

Instead of bring onboard clowns to do low management, that have no idea of deal with people, lacking of technology knowledge and awareness on trendings, must bring the opposite to it.

"Good product but poor, ego driven sales leadership is major road block to success"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Venafi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product works well and CEO is accessible.

Cons

Sales leadership is poor at best. Unaccountable and finger pointing leads to toxic environment and is in direct contrast to their perceived culture. Micromanagement to the point where the sales "leaders" do not trust the sales executives to run their business. Constantly churn and burn salesforce so pipeline development is non existent and morale is low. If looking into opportunity, i suggest you contact the many prior employees who have left the company and you will hear a consistent message-do your homework and come to your own conclusion. Ask how many re-orgs has the company has gone through the last 2-3 years...either the "A" players they constantly hire suddenly fail or they cannot hire good people-either way, it is poor management.

Advice to Management

This company should and could be successful, but leadership below the CEO is untrustworthy, un-motivating and unaccountable. At some point you heave to ask yourself is it constantly the salesforce that you hired or is it leadership in place that is failing-yelling "just do it!" is not leadership, it's just plain silly.