Vencore Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Vencore President & CEO Mac Curtis
Mac Curtis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Communication from upper management is getting better but could still improve (in 11 reviews)

• They only want the legacy Lockheed Martin process followed (in 7 reviews)

1. "Best Place ever"

I have been working at Vencore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vencore is a such a friendly and uplifting environment. Everyone is so nice and the company is very welcoming.

Cons

The people that put bad reviews on here probably suck.

Advice to Management

keep doing you

2. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SEIN is a good program with great people to work with. Benefits are pretty standard and compensation is pretty good. Flexible schedule allows for a very good work life balance.

Cons

They expect about 52 hours of uncompensated overtime. This ends up on your performance review if you do not meet this requirement. The gate for compensated OT is 10 hours each pay period which is quite high. There seems to be a high turnover rate with people switching positions or companies within a year.

Advice to Management

Look at retaining some of your younger engineers. Upper management rarely is seen at customer sites. Management takes a very hands off approach.

3. "It's okay"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work life balance and benefits. 401k immediate vested with 5% match. 15 days pto/18 days after 3 years/20 days after 5 years/10 holidays with 6 fixed 4 floating. I work from a customer site, so I have very little interaction with the headquarters.

Cons

Some contracts make you work uncompensated overtime to supposedly pay for training and overhead activities that don't really exist. Raises are small at 1-2% and competitors have offered me 15-25% more pay unsolicited, which I'll probably end up taking when the time. Most jobs are in Chantilly, so you need to like commuting or living in the suburbs if you're not at a customer closer to D.C.

Advice to Management

The company is trying to go public, but has massive debt on its balance sheet and negative shareholder equity along with a large part of assets in goodwill according to their SEC filing with a history of writing down goodwill. Management needs to communicate a plan to address this. The company will either be taken over completely by another competitor that can make cost synergies from cutting overhead (every layer of management above the program managers) or go bankrupt. The solution of spending more money on bidding more contracts is not a guarantee of winning more work. Company needs to diversify into other industries. Government services work is low margin and the SEC filing shows it.

4. "Systems Engineer"

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, flexible schedule, dedicated people. Many opportunities to move around within, very strong systems engineering. Company seems to be growing, serves the customer very well.

Cons

Customers not very responsive (typical government people). Job is extremely dull, not a thriving place, typical cubical, suits, everyone to themselves. You'll have to drag yourself in over the boredom. Company doesn't do much for its people other than pay a salary and throw a benefits package your way. No Christmas bonuses or parties.

Advice to Management

Management is like anywhere else. I have had one manager that convinced me his subordinates should grade him. He was/is horrible and would rightfully be removed from his position if there was better oversight.

"Another brick in the wall"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company has a solid customer base and knows how to leverage past experiences into future opportunities. If you have the right skills they will find you a position.

Cons

Vencore has lost all understanding of what it takes to retain employees. They do not train, they do not educate, they do not have a pension, they have below average benefits and they do not recognize or reward performance. The direction from the CEO is no one gets an exceptional rating unless they walk on water. It is hard to stay motivated when pay does not keep up with inflation and you are told that you are just one more "satisfactory" employee.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that the words "Our employees are our most valuable asset" means nothing unless it is backed up with company policies.

"Good salary, but stuck in the old days. Cheapness badly harming morale."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vencore is a strange set of contrasts. Some aspects are the best of the best. You will never see age discrimination, nor any other type at Vencore. They play fair, and mean it. Ethics in dealing with CUSTOMERS is second to none. Customers will never get cheated. The company, at least my program, is very honest.

Many of the senior managers take some excellent aspects of their heritage from LMT and The SI Org, and apply them to Vencore. That approach was great in the 1980/90s, but times are different now. I have witnessed senior management sincerely care about junior employees they never really knew. Jobs are preserved, while still focusing upon customer needs sharply. Few companies these days give a darn about stuff like this. Vencore does. On this, Vencore gets an A+.

Cons

OMG, how cheap can a company get? Vencore is owned by a venture capital company, and they are seeing that they get every penny squeezed out of their investment. Vencore is making them a lot of money. If a company seeks employee engagement (as they claim they do), there is an investment cost (real money) in people, and doing the cheap-o thing is not going to succeed in the long run. Free online training is not a substitute for real training that actually costs real $$$. If the company fails to invest in its people, employee engagement will rot. Churn will occur, and it does, especially with high-performers.

On day-1, new employees realize the cheapness. Could we actually invest in some coffee, daily custodial services, office supplies and replace worn out furniture? What message does that send to our employees and to our visiting customers? The holiday party is reduced to a pot-luck. Aunt Edna makes a great soufflé, yum. Could we do a bit better and show some respect to our people AND their spouses. How extreme does penny-pinching have to go? We are asked to work uncompensated overtime to fund the non-existent training budget and the "fun time" events like pot-lucks. Is the company really that cheap? And yet, why are employees asked to think about employee engagement?

Advice to Management

You have to pay to play. Our competitors get this, and it is high time that our venture capital company does too, since failure to doe so will cause churn, bad morale, and a harmed reputation. Invest in our people, and you will get employee engagement, especially relative to the good things about Vencore. YouTube videos aren't training. Stop being so cheap. Remember, turnover is very, VERY expensive. Companies with better salaries and benefits are daily reaching out to our people. What makes them stay, and when do they decide to jump? What is our strategy for staff retention? Does staff retention even matter? Many of us believe that it is very important. We believe in our mission, but are dismayed by unwarranted extreme cheapness.

"Senior Staff Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Systems Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most buildings are air conditioned

Cons

It is all about profit at Vencore, squeeze the employees until they leave.

Advice to Management

Get out of engineering, try the fast food industry perhaps.

8. "Solid company with a long history"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Vencore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many contracts that are answering the requirements of many different customer sets. Good pay and benefits. Flat organizational structure.

Cons

Not all that adept at adding new employees. Tough time getting through all of the initial orientation requirements / features. Reviews seem to be exercises vice a clear and concise way to evaluate employees for advancement / incentives.

Advice to Management

Need to keep up the good work, but PR could use some help.

"Last resort"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Vencore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Average pay and flexible schedule

Cons

Not sure about recent reviews - obviously don't work for the company or are fake news. Company continues to shrink as hiring can't keep up with attrition. Below average benefits that get worse each year. Unengaged senior executives only interested in profits for VC firm owners. Exhaust all other employment options before this one.

Advice to Management

Sell the company before it is completely destroyed.

"Good Company, Work On Internal Items"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer IV in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Vencore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Salary
    Plethora of projects in the Northern Virginia area
    Good Mission
    Decent benefits but good retirement

Cons

Seems a little... disorganized in terms of career growth, but then again, I come from Big 4.

Advice to Management

Tidy up internal items and push out a great, consistent, and inspiring message